What expat medical insurance companies accept debit card payments?

simon43

Quite frankly, this is doing my head in...

I previously signed up with Davidshield, who then failed to send me any quarterly payment reminders or invoice that my bank required to send funds overseas...  my payment was then overdue.

Since I wasn't happy with their customer service, I changed to Now Health, who accept monthly payments.  They sent me a payment link and I paid their initial premium with my Thai debit card.

Thereafter, they failed to collect the next payment and didn't even bother to inform me!!  Now they say that they are unable to charge my card, even though that bank account/card makes regular payments to other companies.

For the love of God, is there any expat medical insurance company who bothers to look after their customers, accepts monthly or quarterly premium payment from a debit card, and has the decently to alert me when the payment fails.....?

Not quite the answer you were looking for but if you have a Kasikorn account and internet banking you can issue your own web card, set the appropriate credit limit and that should work for a normal credit card transaction.

The vendor can't tell it isn't a real credit card.

31 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why don't you set up auto pay from your account?

I have a Bangkok Bank account.  As far as I can tell from my online banking, I can set up a regular international funds transfer.  But that will cost me about $20 or so each time.  I can't find any option to set up a direct debit from my debit card, (although clearly all the other non-insurance companies that charge to my account have managed to do this...).

I'm more annoyed that these companies don't bother to tell me when they can't collect payment.  I had to chase them to ask why they hadn't collected payment.  I could walk down the street, get hit by a car, and assume that I'm still covered by my insurance, whereas I could have no cover at all.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm more annoyed that these companies don't bother to tell me when they can't collect payment.  I had to chase them to ask why they hadn't collected payment.  I could walk down the street, get hit by a car, and assume that I'm still covered by my insurance, whereas I could have no cover at all.

There is the problem.

Don't depend on others to tell you when your policy is due.

I keep a reminder to remind my broker every year about a month before hand, e.g. hey its that time of the year, when can I expect the house/car/health insurance policies to renew.

The broker who gets paid by these companies, then chases them for the renewals, God help me if I left it to others, as you say, you could go uncovered without knowing it and when the shi t hits the fan, I am sure the insurer will look at the find print and say, the policyholder will contact us in the event that they wish to renew their policy, or something like that. 

For what it's worth, I am also with David Shield and pay annually as the exchange rate will differ monthly, quarterly and 6 monthly, sure a big slug, but it's out of the way for a whole year, done and dusted.

That said, with the dollar going down 20% since I last renewed, and going into the next age bracket, I will probably look at going back to self insuring, as the cover is only for emergency cover, although it does cover a pre-existing condition, still, cost is relative to cover.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

They are not really interested in monthly payments. Just pay annually 

That's not only not really feasible (I have a modest monthly income).  I also have no intention of paying a whole year of premiums to a company who may then prove useless with their customer service etc. There would be little chance of getting a refund of unused premiums.

I really can't figure out why this insurer was able to charge the first premium, but then has failed to charge follow-up premiums to my card.  It worked the first time, so what are they doing wrong this time??  Heaven knows, but I'm pi$$ed to say the least.....

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have a Bangkok Bank account.  As far as I can tell from my online banking, I can set up a regular international funds transfer.  But that will cost me about $20 or so each time.  I can't find any option to set up a direct debit from my debit card, (although clearly all the other non-insurance companies that charge to my account have managed to do this...).

They have cars where you live?

Joking Simon

Archived