Condemnation after men dress as Nazis at Bangkok mall festive event

webfact

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The unfortunate truth is they have none nothing illegal in Thailand

Distaste to millions, but not illegal, I doubt many Thais of any generation would have knowledge of the holocaust

Correct, this issue like so many problems is based around a lack of education. From my perspective the issues with the education system will continue to hold back the Country 

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The unfortunate truth is they have none nothing illegal in Thailand

Distaste to millions, but not illegal, I doubt many Thais of any generation would have knowledge of the holocaust

I don't know; you are certainly right;
in any case thai love provocation :crying:

That Phanom a few years ago

P1010510_That_Phanom_pickup_nazi.thumb.JPG.771a5029d387fc949735e39da87fc1ff.JPG

Udon Thani - parking lot Tuckom 

P9231218_Udon_Thani_Tuckom_parking_lot.thumb.JPG.04e31be07f9a45845371b4eb64345d99.JPG

28 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

We taught Year 5 all about the second world war and every February took the children to visit Hell Fire Pass, go to the cemetery and ride on the Railway. They were very respectful and interested in the commemorative museum. Admittedly an international school but most of the kids were Thai. 

There is no need for Thailand to be ashamed for its role in WW2. The Japanese had just about the largest military machine in the world certainly in Asia. The Thais were sensible to appease and avoid wholesale destruction of their country and people. 

But the wearing of Nazi uniforms is pure ignorance. For the organisers to come out and condemn it after is too late. Somebody there should have stopped it before they got on stage. Yeh, dream on...

Rooster

That's interesting to hear of a school trip there, even though it was an international school.

Do you remember if any of the kids raised questions as to how there was a Japanese-run POW camp in Thailand?

I sort of follow what you say about avoiding destruction of their country. Perhaps from a ferang point of view I'd expect them to stand on principle.

My point was concerning how Thais perceive loss of face, when the Thai prime minister Phibun Songkhram instructed the military to stop fighting and allow the Japanese in.

From my admittedly limited experience of hearing the results of Thai government school history, it seems to constantly teach history in a very nationalist way, That's why I wouldn't imagine it would be a natural addition to the curriculum.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thais are ignorant of the rest of the Universe,

Are they? or are they kept that way? "Thai's don't set the education syllabus, the government does! & they have no intention of changing it! The indoctrination (Education) system is working well, same as most places in the world.

You mention the "internet" is that not just for "fun" FB and all the other fantasy world nonsense, if people do start to get their perceptions changed by the "internet" the "news" will be banned! or filtered as Silicone valley is doing now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

We taught Year 5 all about the second world war and every February took the children to visit Hell Fire Pass, go to the cemetery and ride on the Railway. They were very respectful and interested in the commemorative museum. Admittedly an international school but most of the kids were Thai. 

There is no need for Thailand to be ashamed for its role in WW2. The Japanese had just about the largest military machine in the world certainly in Asia. The Thais were sensible to appease and avoid wholesale destruction of their country and people. 

But the wearing of Nazi uniforms is pure ignorance. For the organisers to come out and condemn it after is too late. Somebody there should have stopped it before they got on stage. Yeh, dream on...

Rooster

Well, I'm not too sure what Thais should know or remember about the said period. You might want to check but I think that either the Thai King or the the Prime Minister at the time remained in one of the Norse neutral countries. Also there was the the Thai-Franco war too. I don't know the details of these and I suspect very little is mentioned in Thai history books.

However, I would expect some modicum of knowledge with companies and the government. After all, they aren't slow in banning material they find offensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yme said:

Aren't they Wehrmacht uniforms? Not necessarily Nazi. More important things to worry about. And as for Israeli feelings, let me ask a Palestinian what he thinks.

Go ahead, Palestinians are sided with Nazis with their quest to kill Jews  and thus the Palestinians will be in favour of the wearing of Nazi uniforms 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yme said:

Aren't they Wehrmacht uniforms? Not necessarily Nazi. More important things to worry about. And as for Israeli feelings, let me ask a Palestinian what he thinks.

So the Wehrmacht were not Nazis? I think your position is fairly clear

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1