Condemnation after men dress as Nazis at Bangkok mall festive event

webfact

30 minutes ago, tgw said:

quite correct, yet another fact for you: Nazis were a minority in the German army.

I wasn’t going to post anymore so this will be my last on this. You arrange your facts to suit your own agenda. By default the German army WERE Nazis 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

In which reality were the German army not Nazis?

There has been a German Army since Germany became the Fatherland hundreds of years ago. Long before a Nazi party was even thought of.

There is a Germany Army right now in 2019. There is no Nazi party in Germany.

The Nazis were only involved with the Germany Army for a comparatively brief period of time from 1933 - 1945.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mngmn said:

It's not misunderstanding, is admiration. Strong, dictator who made Germany powerful for a while.

As well many thing the administraion did still today is impliiwd by other adminstration or infrastucture.

Do not forget many german brands activly played a role, like porsche, volks wagen VW, bayer, as well the spin off of the trip to the moon and if the us goverment listend beteer to von Braun we even would have had man on mars in the 1980's.

As well many apllicenses and medication we use today come from that era.

Of course the other thjngs that happened like selction based on like 'race' or menatal stability. Is not good at all.

Based on the commotion you see then one still wonders why farang are treated differently.

As well one still wonders  why the israeli occupied areas and land and and treat the neightbours as they do. Part of the history they refer to was take land away and occupy it as well make a difference in background or nationality.

The holocast was totally wrong as well not reapect others.

Makes one think about it and puts all in a different perspective

I miss further context. Those uniforms look like common ww2 German army (wehrmacht) uniform. Note the insignia on the collars. Thus it's not a Nazi uniform. But walking around in the uniform of regular ww2 German soldier is still a bit odd to say the least. I don't think they do world war reenacments around Christmas trees in Thailand...

they was something going on in bkk about this a few yrs ago.something about a shop or people dressing up in the st.the thais  do what they do,don,t get to learn about that history period.so this display  is just what it is a display for a event  and some people  thought it was in bad taste and complained.I,am sure it repeat itself down the line.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I wasn’t going to post anymore so this will be my last on this. You arrange your facts to suit your own agenda. By default the German army WERE Nazis 

By default with your own definitions, the rest of the world has dictionaires to stick to and they cant make their own definitions and words along the way.

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The unfortunate truth is they have none nothing illegal in Thailand

Distaste to millions, but not illegal, I doubt many Thais of any generation would have knowledge of the holocaust

You'd think as part of the Japanese Empire, they would know about what one of their fellow Axis powers was doing.

15 hours ago, Chazar said:

I suspect many of them were NOT Nazis  just doing as they were  told  like obedient  little  Thais  do here............ choice do it or  die 

Depends how you define Nazis. If you define it as members of the Nazi party then you are right. If you define it as having an ideological or philosphical leaning towards fascism, well, it's what was working at the time so yes, they probably were all Nazis. If you define it as people going with the flow in order to survive, then one could argue they were all Nazis.

Everything is in the definition, but I'm not a historian, so you'd need to ask one of those if you want to be sure; there's enough of them around so you'd be spoilt for choice really.

But you are right that obedient little Thais do what they're told, and that started off by someone telling them they'll have good luck if they pin up a calendar, and better luck if they pray to it. Mind-numbingly stupid I will grant you but hey, it is what it is, stupid people have always been there and one could always count on them to... be stupid. They're in the majority after all...

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

In my 30 years experience in and out of Thailand, Thais just don't "get" what the holocaust was about. This is history that every citizen of every country/culture needs to know. Young Americans, even are poorly educated in this history. And history does love to repeat. It is happening in the US now....

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

It is a case of lack of education.  It's okay for people to dress up as Nazi's and admire Hitler, IF they understood what they were doing.  In general, they don't have a clue.

History is sadly lacking in the system here.  Maybe it should be compulsory to watch the many documentaries of the slaughter and some films.  Oskar Schindler's contribution in 'Schindler's List' is a perfect example and a true story.

As regard the Japs invasion.  Yes the Thais fought briefly against a superior power before forming an alliance with Japan.  How many people know that Thailand formally declared war on both the US and Britain.

Who'd ever heard of Schindler till the film came out. I certainly had not. My uncle was a British squaddie when the British army stumbled upon Belsen. We did not liberate it. There were very few souls left to liberate. They were nearly all dead and had to be bulldozed into mass graves

If it had been a true story rather than an isolated incident we'd have heard about it at the time or at least by the 1950s. Probably from the Jews he supposedly saved.

The film was no more than an attempt at an apology from the bleeding hearts in the film industry. An endeavour to sweep actual happenings under the carpet that had been neglected by their hand wringing forebears in the film industry and their liberal leaning colleagues in real life.

Now since 2015 Germany by way of an apology for its past misdeeds is trying to fill Europe with people who have absolutely nothing in common with the German and European people in general nor their culture.

And in spite of Angela Merkel back in 2010 proclaiming that multiculturalism in Germany had been an abject failure.

A recipe for disaster and probably bloodshed. We've already seen the blood beginning to be shed.

14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Right. They know perhaps a little bit about the WW2, but only the Asian part. But ask students in Europe, USA, Australia, etc. what they know about Pol Pot. I guess the answer is 99%: "who?"

Until 1970 who'd ever heard of My Lai.

I'd guess the answer till then would have been 100% either "who's he, who's she, what's that or where's that?".

Edited by yogi100

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:
16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Right. They know perhaps a little bit about the WW2, but only the Asian part. But ask students in Europe, USA, Australia, etc. what they know about Pol Pot. I guess the answer is 99%: "who?"

Until 1970 who'd ever heard of My Lai.

Actually 1969, was when S Hershs article was published. One year is rather ridiculous. comparison, even for a desperate deflection post. 

It has been said that the Northern army group that occupied Kengtung and the shan states in WWII was charged with war crimes. Why don't you check that out for us and report back to TV readers?! Make it so.

Merry Xmas.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, HHTel said:

As regard the Japs invasion.  Yes the Thais fought briefly against a superior power before forming an alliance with Japan.  How many people know that Thailand formally declared war on both the US and Britain.

the then soon to be Vichy PM made the Alliance request well before the Nippon forces reached the Thai border... the 'brief fighting' was a patrol boat Captain who fired upon the nippon, against Orders - and was punished for that 

the nearest the Nazis really got to Thailand, was them using/visiting the port of Penang, after Malaysia was taken.

7 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

It’s not like they were just wearing Swastika (sawas dee ka) armbands. Where did they get full scale German uniforms? Someone must be making those.

Plenty of Nazi uniforms and paraphernalia available all over Thailand, many retro’s prob make in China 

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

If it had been a true story rather than an isolated incident we'd have heard about it

'true story' and 'isolated incident' are not opposites.

I'd never heard of Oskar Schindler either.  I'm sure there are hundreds of stories of Nazi Germany that most of us have never heard of.  May be worthwhile looking up the truth.

He died on 9 October 1974 in Hildesheim, Germany, and was buried in Jerusalem on Mount Zion, the only member of the Nazi Party to be honoured in this way. He and his wife Emilie were named Righteous Among the Nations by the Israeli government in 1993.

He was a member of the Nazi party and a criminal by his own admission.  His conscience got the better of him.  After the war he was supported in many cases by the jews that he saved.

Actually they look to be wehrmacht uniforms which are ordinary german army. The nazis were a political party, and one could join the army without being a party member, so I'm not sure what all the Israeli hysteria is about here. Christians have killed more people than the nazis but no one gets upset when someone dresses up as jesus.

37 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

wehrmacht uniforms which are ordinary german army.

Actually the Wehrmacht comprised of army, navy and air force. Heer is the name given to the German army.

They committed most of the atrocities against the Jews under the orders of the Hitler regime.  After Hitler re-introduced conscription and the formation the Wehrmacht, the oath was changed to include allegiance to Hitler.

All those uniforms of that era carry the stigma of the holocaust.  Only recently, the German army had to apologise to their own superiors and government for displaying Wehrmacht uniforms of that era in a history museum.  

So the Germans themselves are probably the strongest critics of uniforms of that time.

• Haha 1