Condemnation after men dress as Nazis at Bangkok mall festive event

webfact

6 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

they probably aren't taught this stuff.  their history classes probably consist of the escapades of bare chested thai warriors on elephants. 

They are only taught history in the sense of dates so that they memorize them for the tests.

I am sure a lot of young Thais do not even know about what happened with military take overs because they only know what they have seen wince they were born

• Like 1

I have absolutely no sympathy for these ****faces and others like them!

Here is a "funny" annecdote: in my first year after moving here, I visited my girlfriend's family in Isan.

The people in her village spoke no English, at all!

When I was asked where I was from and I answered " I am from Germany" (in my few words of Thai, I knew!)...guess what their reaction was?!

"Oh Germany! Sieg Heil"!

Happened to me many times here: with Taxi- drivers, bar- keepers, ever educated sales people from hotels!

But be careful to post a Buddha- picture in the wrong circumsatnces on your Facebook- page or - God beware- get a Buddha- tattoo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

My daughter is on a school exchange for a year to the US, and guess what.....they only teach US history there.

Went to school in the US, learned a lot about world history. It started in elementary school.

Send her to a better school.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:
32 minutes ago, Gerald Smith said:

Just recently noticed a storefront in central Pattaya with a swastika decal on their entry door! Needless to say I was quite shocked by such shocking ignorance and would never ever enter any store with such stupidity or hatred displayed publicly.

It was probably an original Buddhist swastika and nothing to do with nazism 

Could be.

The Nazis stole the swastika design from Hinduism. Even the word is Sankrit, meaning 'well being'.

It went from one extreme to the other.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Not just thailand,ever visited the usa?try buying a paper to keep abreast of overseas affairs.

Well, it's different now because of the web, but before that if you wanted international news you either needed a shortwave radio or, if you lived in a city, there would probably be at least one place that sold foreign and out-of-town newspapers.  USA Today started in the 1980s, and was not very good, but it was the first national newspaper.  It was during the Thatcher years that some of the educational TV stations started carrying excerpts from the House of Commons sessions: I was incredibly impressed by the PM getting up on her hind legs and debating the opposition, especially at a time when we had a president that couldn't even handle a press conference.  But now actual paper newspapers are disappearing, on the other hand international news is incredibly accessible, even in other languages which are easily translated.

In Europe the countries are close together so it is necessary to keep up with what's going on across the frontiers, in North America it's not much of a concern.

But really, the citizens of most countries in the world don't give a toss about other countries' histories, especially when they may not even have heard of the place.  How many expats in Thailand understand the animosity toward the Burmese/Myanmar?  How many people in the West had heard of Korea, or Vietnam, before there were wars there?  (asked rhetorically, of course)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spike1938 said:

But does that include hate speech? You have every right to extend your arms out as far as they will go until they contact someone's nose. 

yes even hate  speech should be allowed, to show it for how  vile it  is

5 hours ago, Creasy said:

Geography and history, especially foreign is not a strong suit of the Thais 

How many Thai people know about those Nazi symbols : 5% ?     May-be a some youngsters in Mao dress waving the "red book" may have better provocative effect.

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Thailand has never been big on teaching about World War II in their schools, for obvious reasons. That is not going to change anytime soon.

About 10 years ago, I borrowed a globe from one of the Thai classrooms so I could use it during a lesson to EP students.  There was only 1 country showing on the globe - Thailand, the rest of the globe was completely blacked-out.  Needless to say, none of my students knew anything about life outside Thailand at the time.  I mentioned the fact to the school director; I just got a blank look, and was told the students need to learn about Thai history.

Yes, you're right!  There won't be any change anytime soon; probably never.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The unfortunate truth is they have none nothing illegal in Thailand

Distaste to millions, but not illegal, I doubt many Thais of any generation would have knowledge of the holocaust

Who said anything about illegal?

6 hours ago, Moti24 said:

About 10 years ago, I borrowed a globe from one of the Thai classrooms so I could use it during a lesson to EP students.  There was only 1 country showing on the globe - Thailand, the rest of the globe was completely blacked-out.  Needless to say, none of my students knew anything about life outside Thailand at the time.  I mentioned the fact to the school director; I just got a blank look, and was told the students need to learn about Thai history.

Yes, you're right!  There won't be any change anytime soon; probably never.

WOW that is ***** up ????

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The unfortunate truth is they have none nothing illegal in Thailand

Distaste to millions, but not illegal, I doubt many Thais of any generation would have knowledge of the holocaust

while it is ethically questionable and certainly in bad taste i'm not aware of any countries where it is illegal to wear a german nazi uniform. so thailand is no different to most countries in this respect.

giving a nazi salute is illegal in some countries, though there is no evidence this happened here.

to be honest you'd think mastercard, or any multinational organisation, would have more sense.

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Hey, he's family mate.......

Oh, ... well I hope that he, and you all have a Merry Christmas, ... I do not think that he did anything Particularly bad, Like it was Political ? Right ? And a Joke !!! and Not Malicious ... But from this Blog, ... the Guys wearing the Uniforms like SS Concentration Guards though ... well I think that they did do something wrong I think myself.

... Like in your Families Picture here, ..... Randy Andy (The English Prince) was Pinged for jokingly wearing Nazi stuff at College once wasn't he ?

Well I think that all these Kids that jokingly wear Nazi paraphernalia for a joke, .... Should be shown all of the Pictures of the Dead Emaciated Bodies from the Camps piled up, after WWII, ….  And with the Guards wearing the Nazi paraphernalia in dispersed between them. … And then simply told to think about it. …. Like a LOT of Photos !!! …. and here ARE a Lot.

29 minutes ago, Traubert said:

No they weren't. It was the SS that were Nazi's. The wehrmacht were just the ordinary army. Thousands of wehrmacht soldiers were executed by SS troops for perceived crimes. The SS was formed after the wehrmacht tried to overthrow Hitler.

Those who believe German = Nazi really need to do some reading before displaying their ignorance. Most of the German populace were terrorised by the Nazi's.

Very silly 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_clean_Wehrmacht

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar

"Contrary to the myth of the "clean Wehrmacht", the Sixth Army under the command of Field Marshal Walter von Reichenau worked together with the SS and SD to plan and execute the mass-murder of the Jews of Kyiv.[3]"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, anterian said:

German uniforms seem to be acceptable if the wearers are shown as fools or incompetents. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086659/

I tried Buying some food in a German Supermarket, once wearing an Old ... But Nice German army shirt that I had Bought in a Disposal store in Australia. Like Real moleskin and a REALLY Nice and Warm Shirt ...  that washed well !!! ....  Like it was German Right ! ? ...... But well, ... the reception in the Supermarket, ..was NOT GOOD !!! ... And as I got to the cash register, .... One guy going right off at Me !!! .... Waving his fist !!! ...  and shouting at me ... In German of course !!! ... So I could not Really tell, ... whether he was Hard Left, ... and thought that I was a fascist !!! .... or hard Right and thought that I was defiling the Uniform of their Great German Army !!! ... Like a rough looking, Old Auzie Hippie, in one, ... Going shopping in it !!! ???

I never wore them any where around in the Streets of Germany after that I must tell you though Any way.

3 minutes ago, Traubert said:

As I said, at the point of a gun. The SS didn't get their hands dirty doing menial jobs.

Try history, not Wiki, which is the silliest source of information ever.

You really do not know and write nonsense
not everything in the Wiki is stupid or a lie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It was probably an original Buddhist swastika and nothing to do with nazism 

They go in Opposite Directions I believe, ... and its an Indian Hundu symbol originally I think, ... for Good Luck ! .... Hitler just Garbed it, and revered it, ...  and then used it for him self ? I think. ...