Xmas Retirement Visa advice

Merry Xmas all,

just been to immig at CM thinking it would be empty as it is xmas day and fortunately all ok and got number 3. However, as I originally came 8 years ago on an O/A, I am still on O/A. I thought they changed it after the first year as it states O now.

IO would not accept my Bupa Worldwide insurance as it must now be from a Thai company so I have these options:

1. Leave (Voiding my retirement extension) and come back on a 30 day tourist visa and during that time apply in CM for a 90 day O visa then get that converted to a Non O retirement permission to stay.

2. leave, again voiding current extension, and go to a Thai Embassy in KL, Luang Prabang, Savannaket, Penang etc and apply/get a non O retirement and come back.

can anyone advise me which route is best.

i use the 800k method.

1. You could do it with a 30 day visa exempt (it is not a visa) entry. In Chiang Mai you would only have 8 days to do the application unless you applied for a 30 day extension of it.

Not sure how strict CM are on the proof the 800k baht came from abroad requirement to do the application for a non immigrant visa. Having it in the bank for several months might be allowed. You need to check with them about it.

General requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

2. That is an option in Savannakhet and Penang only out of those you listed (there is no embassy or consulate in Luang Prabang).

You will need to show proof of the 800k baht in the bank and proof you are retired (pension statement, statement done at your embassy and etc)

Vientiane is an option but they want medical and police clearance (from Thailand accepted) plust the 800k baht.

• Thanks 1

Not married

Ubonjoe (aka santa claus) many thanks. I think option 1 is the way to go. I just went back to immig and could show them proof of 600k deposit from abroad as I already had a Thai bank account with the other 200k but no proof of it. Officer said to explain during the interview for non O. Seems crazy as I have had over 800k in a fixed deposit account for 8 years.

for a 30 day visa exempt can I go to Mae Sai as I can get there and back in a day?

2 minutes ago, ragabob said:

for a 30 day visa exempt can I go to Mae Sai as I can get there and back in a day?

Yes you can if you do not have a valid re-entry permit. They might insist on using it instead of doing a visa exempt entry.

40 minutes ago, ragabob said:

No valid re-entry permit so will likely go to Mae Sai. My visa expires on 8 Jan so maybe HNY in Chiang Rai and whizz up to Mae Sai.

many thanks for your help and enjoy your xmas

No rush to do it. You could leave on the 8th if you wanted to but better on the 7th in case you got delayed getting there.

• Like 1