Money debited from BKK Bank account!

5 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Locals tell me SCB less likely to loose/take your cash

Used BkkBank ATM card for 10 years now, online and in machines. Never any problem, money missing. I must be lucky, or others unlucky.

Just got upgraded to a 6 digit PIN Mastercard.

In my experience Erroneous or fraudulent Credit Card transactions have a much higher chance of being refunded than debit card transactions. I try to only use my debit at ATM for cash withdrawals and all other transactions via my credit card.

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Used BkkBank ATM card for 10 years now, online and in machines. Never any problem, money missing. I must be lucky, or others unlucky.

Yes, so have I ! Only had it a month or so.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Take a photo of the back of the card.. Now scratch the 3 digit pin code off.

This insures no one will be able to use your card online.  

That's really good advice. 

When you lose your creditcard or it gets stolen, the 'finder' can plunder your account on-line at websites that only require the name on the card, the card-number and the 3 digit security-code at the back.

On my credit-card the 3 digit security-code was a peel-off sticker, so no chance that the original number would still be readable after having it removed.

Writing it down and storing it in a safe - but easily accessible - place, is probably better than relying on your memory (especially if you have many credit-cards).

Try remembering the 3 digit code of several cards, it's better to take photos. You can hide the photos or put other security on if worried

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Take a photo of the back of the card.. Now scratch the 3 digit pin code off.

This insures no one will be able to use your card online.  

Thats one I hadn't thought of before.....good idea...????

• Like 1

That's why I only use the debit card for ATM withdrawals. The only online transactions with my German bank account is to send money to my Thai account via Transferwise and that requires a TAN generator to produce a TAN number. Never use a credit card, in fact I refused the offer of one from my German bank. It is sad that one has to be so careful these days, using a credit card and debit card could make life so much easier if there wasn't so much fraud about, for me cash is king.

• Like 1

I had money transferred bank to bank from Uk to Krung thai,on around 16th dec,a large sum,so far it has not appeared in my account,have not had a problem before,but this is most worrying,of course i can do nothing until 30th jan when my lawyer returns to work as her company arranged it but i don't know which Uk bank they used,my biggest fear is it has been stolen,by hackers,or a bank employee,not unknown here.

• Confused 2

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe all Bangkok Bank Cards are. 

From next year only chip cards will be able to be used, but if OP still has an old one (and they lasted 10 years or more) then it's possible that a standard magnetic card is still used. Banks are urging people to change and I just got SMS from SCB (I use only their internet banking and it's been forever since I last used the ATM card) that I must replace the card to chip card before April I think, after which non-chip cards would no longer be able to be used. The old card was expiring 2023.

I have SMS alerts on my mobile phone for ALL transactions - debits and credits. Very useful, especially for knowing when my pensions are paid into my account during public holidays in the UK, USA (Citibank) and Thailand. To avoid any confusion, Citibank is the handling agent for my UK government/local government pensions into Thailand.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

So it seems that there was no theft but an double debit by airline. That is a totally different story. Lot less scary. 

A lot MORE scary, I think, had he been a retiree reliant on the 800k/400k method of proving finances for his next retirement extension (@BenCrew I only hope for your sake that you are not 1 such retiree).

Those who gush forth effusively on here about the merits of this particular method appear conveniently to overlook the risks associated with it (as well documented in this thread), particularly since minimum balances now need to be shown in bank accounts year round and not just in the previous 3-month advance seasoning period.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

police involved, no charges brought and the colleague wasn't sacked.

No, that would have hurt her feelings. Quite a few years ago a pilot for the national airline crashed on landing in Phuket and the excuse for not sacking him was exactly that. Amazing country.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I've had no money dispensed, but the bank wasn't concerned and just said the money would not have been deducted from my account. It wasn't. A common occurrence here I suppose. I don't know about elsewhere as I rarely use my UK card back home.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try remembering the 3 digit code of several cards, it's better to take photos. You can hide the photos or put other security on if worried

But would hiding the photos only be neccessary if you were planning on losing your unlocked phone AND your ATM card to the same person?

• Like 1

I like using SCB's cardless withdrawals. I don't even carry a card anymore. I make the request on my phone while near a SCB atm it generates a random pin that lasts 5 minutes. The pin is used in combination with my phone number to withdrawal the amount I chose. This is great for sending money to my kids quickly if they need some. I perform the operation and they just type on the atm the pin I tell over the phone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The usual thing is that the person this happened to lives with one or more persons. Then it´s almost always one of those that used the card for paying something without telling.

Another thing is if you have purchases from using the card in a shop or a restaurant. Then it might be good to have receipts, if they scammed you when paying. 

You used it in a shop, cand somebody stole the card information.

A bank employee has randomly been nicking from different accounts.

As you can understand, thae first one is most common, and that becomes a family problöem. the bank will do nothing.

The second and third will be hard for you to prove that you did not buy or pay something for the amounts. The bank will probably do nothing.

The fourth is something the bank canfind out, and see where the money has gone. In that case I will give you a 50/50 chance.

Unfortunately that´s as bad as it will get in the better way of looking at it.

My moneys on number 4 odds on

• Sad 1

Been mentioned countless times....in your ATM account have just a few thousand and the rest in a bank book account and only withdraw from bank book as cash, then pay into ATM account as cash, never transfer! Do this say 1-2 times a month, never get "lost money!

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Or store them in the phone contacts list. Make up a fake number that includes the card code. But always keep a separate back-up list somewhere else in case you lose your phone.

• Like 1

UPDATE: I have just in the last 10 minutes received a credit from 'BE1STSMART' who debited the money. 

I am delighted to say that they have reimbursed me the full flight cost of 35,885 Baht, which is about 5,000 Baht more than was debited by them originally! Result! 

Thanks to all for advice and input on this topic. It's the first time anything like that has happened to me, and hopefully, the last. Happy New Year! ????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BenCrew said:

Yes, Robblok. The airline are going to contact the bank and hopefully sort it. It was coincidental that the only time I've ever used my card for an online transaction, this happens. A bit more optimistic now though that I'll get the money back.

I use my credit card frequently for on line bookings of airfares and hotels. When the website goes through the authentication process it puts up a notice saying, basically, don't touch your keyboard or the transaction may not go through or it may be processed multiple times. Maybe that's what happened?

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

I had money transferred bank to bank from Uk to Krung thai,on around 16th dec,a large sum,so far it has not appeared in my account,have not had a problem before,but this is most worrying,of course i can do nothing until 30th jan when my lawyer returns to work as her company arranged it but i don't know which Uk bank they used,my biggest fear is it has been stolen,by hackers,or a bank employee,not unknown here.

A ' large sum'? And you can't do anything until the end of January. Unbelievable. Plenty you can do. Don't you have the lawyers private phone number. No bank managers phone number? You are a very trusting person.