Money debited from BKK Bank account!

Anybody have the bad experience of checking their bank account, and finding a large sum of money missing?

Recently went to the ATM, and at the end of the transaction on seeing my balance displayed, I realised that a decent amount of money was missing. I came home and checked online.

There were two seperate debits totalling nearly 30,000 Baht!  Happy Xmas to you too! Went to my local branch, and now they are looking into it. There should be an outcome within 7 days. Anybody had this happen to them? If so, what was the outcome?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, BenCrew said:

Anybody had this happen to them? If so, what was the outcome?

The usual thing is that the person this happened to lives with one or more persons. Then it´s almost always one of those that used the card for paying something without telling.

Another thing is if you have purchases from using the card in a shop or a restaurant. Then it might be good to have receipts, if they scammed you when paying. 

You used it in a shop, cand somebody stole the card information.

A bank employee has randomly been nicking from different accounts.

As you can understand, thae first one is most common, and that becomes a family problöem. the bank will do nothing.

The second and third will be hard for you to prove that you did not buy or pay something for the amounts. The bank will probably do nothing.

The fourth is something the bank canfind out, and see where the money has gone. In that case I will give you a 50/50 chance.

Unfortunately that´s as bad as it will get in the better way of looking at it.

If it is chip card, it is quite hard to fake. It is easy (if you know PIN) to make a copy of card that has no chip as reader/writer for magnetic cards (which comes with free software for it) costs just 1000 baht or so. Also ATMs have cameras so they would probably take a photo of someone using ATM with fake card. If that was ATM withdrawal - type of withdrawal should be next to deduction.

Most of the deductions nowadays are done from internet as it's easier to break into someone's computer or phone to steal password with some keylogger, or just buy credentials online, then login to account and transfer out to another stolen account.

If you don't have it yet, do set up 2 factor authentication for all online transactions (so you get OTP each time you try to transfer or pay online) and change to chip card if you haven't already for ATM card. And if you can, avoid using debit cards for internet payments. Many banks now offer internet payment card (which is a number you can use once or set a pre-set limit to) so even it gets hacked, losses are minimal.

And your password/pin you may wish to change. But do that on a computer you're confident has no keyloggers installed or at the bank counter.

Maybe an overkill but you already got affected to 60000 baht, and it could be worse. So why not protect yourself as much as possible...

5 hours ago, BenCrew said:

Then it has to be number 4 !

Not necessarily.  Your card could be cloned when using at an ATM or details been obtained during your recent on line purchase.  Also, your laptop/PC could have been compromised, and all these are potential opportunities.

You should be able to see on line if they were purchases or transfers or ATM withdrawals which may help.

happened to an gf of mine, she was a lecturer at a university, it turned out one of her colleagues had taken her bank card from her bag one lunchtime, withdrawn the money and put the card back.

i had previously seen that my gf's pin number was 9999, and advised her to change it. obviously at some point her colleague had clocked it as well....

police involved, no charges brought and the colleague wasn't sacked.

Thanks for all your replies and possibilities. At the moment, my bank are looking into it, and the airline are looking into it. It is hopefully an error by the airline who appear to have debited the fee almost twice. I say almost twice, because I upgrade on both the long hauls, and they have only debited one of those a second time (strange). Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again, chaps. 

9 hours ago, BenCrew said:

They don't look like ATM withdrawals. Strangely both debits are at the same time, one much smaller than the other. Appreciate your opinion.

Take a photo of the back of the card.. Now scratch the 3 digit pin code off.

This insures no one will be able to use your card online.  

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

trouble is that most cards I've seen; the 3 character embossing can transfer all the way through the substrate, and be closer to readable (even guessable) from the front! 

if not fully readable, I am sure enough experimenting with  chemicals/dyes could make the embossed characters restorable

a sort of metaphoric version of how filing down an engine block number, does not obliterate everything...  

hmmm, maybe try touching (both sides of the substrate) with a fine pointed soldering iron?? ... and stir the melted point a little too, to be sure to be sure.

Happened to me twice but a different bank. Then it happened to my son at the same bank as mine. Nothing came of it. Banks investigate and leave it at that. They did not even notify me of their investigation. I changed cards and pin straight away. No problem so far. Definitely not family as only my son and I and we don't know each others card details plus I trust my son with my life. I was at work when it happened to me, card in my presence and I got an sms. I called the bank there and then. As I said, did not notify me of any result. 

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The usual thing is that the person this happened to lives with one or more persons. Then it´s almost always one of those that used the card for paying something without telling.

Another thing is if you have purchases from using the card in a shop or a restaurant. Then it might be good to have receipts, if they scammed you when paying. 

You used it in a shop, cand somebody stole the card information.

A bank employee has randomly been nicking from different accounts.

As you can understand, thae first one is most common, and that becomes a family problöem. the bank will do nothing.

The second and third will be hard for you to prove that you did not buy or pay something for the amounts. The bank will probably do nothing.

The fourth is something the bank canfind out, and see where the money has gone. In that case I will give you a 50/50 chance.

Unfortunately that´s as bad as it will get in the better way of looking at it.

Totally agree with this I had the same problem here many years ago with the orange colored bank and when I went to my branch to find out how it happened a few days later branch manager tells me he has a nice pic of the ex wife at atm using my card lol. Next day changed pin number and wife.

59 minutes ago, tifino said:

trouble is that most cards I've seen; the 3 character embossing can transfer all the way through the substrate, and be closer to readable (even guessable) from the front!

What are you on about. The 3 digit security code is PRINTED on the signature strip which is not part of the actual card. It is not embossed, and no way could be seen 'through the substrate' and readable from the front.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Or maybe try to remember the three digits.

That's really good advice. 

When you lose your creditcard or it gets stolen, the 'finder' can plunder your account on-line at websites that only require the name on the card, the card-number and the 3 digit security-code at the back.

On my credit-card the 3 digit security-code was a peel-off sticker, so no chance that the original number would still be readable after having it removed.

Writing it down and storing it in a safe - but easily accessible - place, is probably better than relying on your memory (especially if you have many credit-cards).

9 hours ago, BenCrew said:

Thanks for all your replies and possibilities. At the moment, my bank are looking into it, and the airline are looking into it. It is hopefully an error by the airline who appear to have debited the fee almost twice. I say almost twice, because I upgrade on both the long hauls, and they have only debited one of those a second time (strange). Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again, chaps. 

So it seems that there was no theft but an double debit by airline. That is a totally different story. Lot less scary. 

Yes, Robblok. The airline are going to contact the bank and hopefully sort it. It was coincidental that the only time I've ever used my card for an online transaction, this happens. A bit more optimistic now though that I'll get the money back.

38 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What are you on about. The 3 digit security code is PRINTED on the signature strip which is not part of the actual card. It is not embossed, and no way could be seen 'through the substrate' and readable from the front.

i just went through my wallet... finding 3 cards - where the 3digits are impressed right thru to the front. pretty hard to get good closeup for a still shot in focus though.

20191226_124801.jpg

20191226_124623.jpg

20191226_124347.jpg

20191226_124329.jpg

20191226_124207.jpg

20191226_124049.jpg

I had the same with BA and Krung Thai ..... for a ticket upgrade online, was in the process of small claims court claim against BA when Krung Thai fessed up to the second debit being a pre-authorisation (not taken by BA) for the same amount almost six months to the date later - they said they would have informed me at six months!! Ended up with groveling apology to BA, who of course were contesting all the way.

1 minute ago, tifino said:

i just went through my wallet... finding 3 cards - where the 3digits are impressed right thru to the front. pretty hard to get good closeup for a still shot in focus though.

20191226_124801.jpg

20191226_124623.jpg

20191226_124347.jpg

20191226_124329.jpg

20191226_124207.jpg

20191226_124049.jpg

I did the same as you, looked at 6 cards, all of which had the 3 digits PRINTED on the strip, same as your 845 is. If I were you, get rid of, or do not use the embossed cards.

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

If it is chip card, it is quite hard to fake. It is easy (if you know PIN) to make a copy of card that has no chip as reader/writer for magnetic cards (which comes with free software for it) costs just 1000 baht or so. Also ATMs have cameras so they would probably take a photo of someone using ATM with fake card. If that was ATM withdrawal - type of withdrawal should be next to deduction.

Most of the deductions nowadays are done from internet as it's easier to break into someone's computer or phone to steal password with some keylogger, or just buy credentials online, then login to account and transfer out to another stolen account.

If you don't have it yet, do set up 2 factor authentication for all online transactions (so you get OTP each time you try to transfer or pay online) and change to chip card if you haven't already for ATM card. And if you can, avoid using debit cards for internet payments. Many banks now offer internet payment card (which is a number you can use once or set a pre-set limit to) so even it gets hacked, losses are minimal.

And your password/pin you may wish to change. But do that on a computer you're confident has no keyloggers installed or at the bank counter.

Maybe an overkill but you already got affected to 60000 baht, and it could be worse. So why not protect yourself as much as possible...

Most comprehensive and helpful guidance. Thank you.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I did the same as you, looked at 6 cards, all of which had the 3 digits PRINTED on the strip, same as your 845 is. If I were you, get rid of, or do not use the embossed cards.

yeah... that's why I earlier thought of using a  pointy soldering iron to obliterate the card impression/print from front to back, at the same spot... 

heh heh - a hole punch or drillhole would be difinitive eh!

Archived