Pattaya unprepared for plastic-bag ban

Rimmer

23 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Not sure how I will be able to buy a coke with ice from the mom and pop store, they might have to start selling it in the bottle it comes in !!!

That would work, good thinking! price would increase off course, food could also be served in its original container ????

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

You have one week to sit and think about it and ways to solve that problem .

You are at the till

Shopping paid for .

No plastic bags .

How will you manAge to take all your shopping home ?

One week to think about it 

Plastic bags are still available to buy...you can buy like a thousand bags for 100 baht....just buy your own and take some when you go shopping....much lighter and easier to carry than the cloth bags....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, murraynz said:

these 'dumps' are everywhere in thailand---THIS is what the authorities need to stop-urgently...

educate thai people to use rubbish bins--start fining them for littering and dumping...

i know many people who wont visit thailand--too dirty, they say...

Spot on! The problem is disposal, disposal, disposal...

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not only Pattaya unprepared, hearing about the stoppage of giving plastic bags, i goT myself a large bag.

Just fits in the basket on my scooter, just been to big C,got to the checkout, security bloke who always helps me, put my basket on the belt.

I gave him my large bag, saying please fill it put it in my basket.

Brain dead girl cashier insisted in putting my groceries in plastic bags, then past them to the security guy, who then put them in my Big bag...... DOH.

From Canada here, WESTERN land of pristine forests, lakes and rivers, educated, sophisticated, informed, responsible AND EVER-SO-CAUCASIAN citizenry, where 95% pay extra for disposable, store-provided plastic bags to carry their Chiclets home from the supermarket instead of bringing their own bag.

Edited by johnhw

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

This whole plastic bag thing is a rort.In Australia the big stores stopped giving out the free thin plastic bags and instead sell you a much thicker bag that takes 20 years to break down for 15 cents each.This is gonna bring them approx.15million $ extra profit per year. Yes you can buy the cloth bags but from my observations I would say that 70% dont bring any bags and buy these (including me )who forget or were not planning to shop.

In the interest of accuracy, yes you can buy cloth bags, but if you read the not so fine print if it gets damaged it will be replaced for free.

15774191492683185839926494363997.jpg

Edited by emptypockets

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Not when walking, but a bag in my motorcycle and one in the car is enough. 

You don't seem to get that the optional approach did not work. Most people will not carry a bag unless they have too. So its an all or nothing kind of thing.

I get what your saying but something needs to be done. 

I agree something needs to be done, but from one extreme to another is not the way. I have often refused bags that are not wanted.

Packaging is worse than than the bags the item is put in in many cases.

And with the fly tipping and real <deleted> they do here, no bags if needed is wrong. Fewer bags, hemp bags etc. Plastic bags now are biodegradable too, so more stupid in fact.

21 hours ago, champers said:

This will have massive implications. I see mass street protests with the real possibiity that the government could be forced out of office.

And I think your post is fake news ....get ready for that knock on your door ! ????

More seriously, Tesco and 7/11 stores (and maybe others I don’t shop at) have had signs up at the checkouts for a couple of weeks so people should be aware of the ban.

Edited by MikeN

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting. Big C in Udon Thani haven't been giving out plastic bags at the cashier for over a month now.

Afer scanning, all the goods go back into shopping trolley unbagged, then I push the trolley to the car park and put everything loose in the car boot.

We have some large plastic storage boxes about 2 feet square (and the same deep). I suppose it would be a good idea to put one in the boot, just to keep the shopping together.

They still have bags, you have to ask for them (they are underneath the cashier's counter). I guess to save money, they stopped ordering them quite a while ago....

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting. Big C in Udon Thani haven't been giving out plastic bags at the cashier for over a month now.

Afer scanning, all the goods go back into shopping trolley unbagged, then I push the trolley to the car park and put everything loose in the car boot.

We have some large plastic storage boxes about 2 feet square (and the same deep). I suppose it would be a good idea to put one in the boot, just to keep the shopping together.

Well they were giving them out as usual 27th December!

1 hour ago, Card said:

I agree with the ban but just banning retailers from supplying them is ill thought out. What are people to do about trash bags? Thats what the re-use them for. Instead, they will just go to suppliers like Makro to buy big packs of new ones, unless they also will not supply them anymore. There needs to be a good, cheap biodegradeable substitute for bin liners.

Reusing them for garbage liners is great but the point is that the average person in Thailand uses 4 checkout type bags and 4 other plastic bags per person per day. So for a family of four that is 16 of each every day. Do people need 16 garbage bin liners a day ? Perhaps one to hold the other 16 bags from the street vendors if they have not just been thrown on the ground like so often here. Perhaps a couple for other garbage, that still leaves another 13 bags from Tesco/Big C etc wasted and often left to blow along the street or into the khlong.

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

7 11 will never  ban bags

They already have in many of their stores.  7/11 on some islands haven't issued plastic bags for a long time and it works ok.  Koh Samed has 3 x  7/11's and you'll not get a bag no matter how hard you beg.  They do have reusable bags at the check-out.

It's working in many places and in well over half the countries of the world.

Quite a negative speculation!

23 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

This is utter "poppycock" (Rubbish!). If Africa can "Ban" all plastic bags for over "1" year surely pattaya with the billions that have been spent their over the past 30 years can ban plastic bags or is it again local corruption!????????????

Many African countries for more than a year.  Rwanda, for example, banned them in 2008.

Of the 127 countries worldwide that have restrictions/bans on single use plastic, 34 of them are in Africa.

I predict that incidents of food poisoning will increase.

Cloth bags are absorbent, so any juices will be absorbed and go bad.

And with reusable plastic bags, people are going to take far fewer than the half dozen or so bags that used to be given for free with the goods well segregated.  Now raw meat will be put next to cooked food.

Result:  copious vomiting and diarrhoea all around.

I just wonder whether the politicians behind this ludicrous scheme have shares in hospitals.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

And with reusable plastic bags, people are going to take far fewer than the half dozen or so bags that used to be given for free with the goods well segregated.  Now raw meat will be put next to cooked food.

I just wonder whether the politicians behind this ludicrous scheme have shares in hospitals.

The food you buy leaks juices ?

And lol at raw meat in with cooked... yeah I always get the butcher to scoop a kg of beef mince straight into the shopping bag that has a cooked chicken already in it floating in its own grease.

Are you Australian by anychance cause your nonsense sounds just like all the whingers were posting on facebook last year when Aus did the bag ban !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, neeray said:

But you are a ThaiVisa member and by the look of your post count at 5,716, a regular reader on a forum where this has been discussed many times. That said, you knew this day was coming.

How could you not be prepared? By leaving your 25 item basket with the cashier, you just enhanced the supposed negative vibe towards farangs (also discussed on TVF).

"Solly", that my POV.

Is it already 1 januari on your calendar?

And i was going to buy a bag if possible....we need them anyway to use in the bin.

And you ruined the reputation of this forum, i hate people with that mindset....makes me not wanting to greed other farang.

Edited by fruitman

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

It's already been said.  There are exceptions to the issue of plastic bags as there are in other countries.  Wet produce being one of them.