Pattaya unprepared for plastic-bag ban

Rimmer

1 hour ago, 30la said:

We must not speak only of Pattaya, all of Thailand is not ready for this step and never will be!

Nonsense, when they are forced to it they have no choice, all the big companies already signed the agreement. When they stop producing bags you need to bring your own. 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, champers said:

This will have massive implications. I see mass street protests with the real possibiity that the government could be forced out of office.

They will be so ashamed that they will have to wear a PAPER bag over their heads...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

But nobody is forcing you to buy bin bags. The choice is yours. 

BTW, they won't GIVE you free bin bags !

In the house I have 3 upstairs bins, 4 downstairs bins and one in the kitchen. Naturally they are of 2 different sizes so I buy a pack of 12 x 20 and one of 15 x 30 plus the big bin liners 36 x 45 to put all the other trash bags in.

When I go bulk shopping I take 6 or 7 cloth bags and use them for my shopping. I have been doing it that way for years and find it very easy to do.

Yes when I came to Pattaya again a few weeks back,I brought some more clothes bags again

and my lady friend and all the family used them when we went shopping. They got used to them.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, colinneil said:

Not only Pattaya unprepared, hearing about the stoppage of giving plastic bags, i goT myself a large bag.

Just fits in the basket on my scooter, just been to big C,got to the checkout, security bloke who always helps me, put my basket on the belt.

I gave him my large bag, saying please fill it put it in my basket.

Brain dead girl cashier insisted in putting my groceries in plastic bags, then past them to the security guy, who then put them in my Big bag...... DOH.

I got a medium bag I found she could carry everything without dropping anything. ha ha have a good day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, colinneil said:

Not only Pattaya unprepared, hearing about the stoppage of giving plastic bags, i goT myself a large bag.

Just fits in the basket on my scooter, just been to big C,got to the checkout, security bloke who always helps me, put my basket on the belt.

I gave him my large bag, saying please fill it put it in my basket.

Brain dead girl cashier insisted in putting my groceries in plastic bags, then past them to the security guy, who then put them in my Big bag...... DOH.

Have to speak directly to checkout person.

I took my own used plastic bags to Big C in Chiang Mai to re use. They thought I was a crazy at first, but got used to me.

Perhaps they will use paper bags. In NZ they have paper bags but have to pay for them. I take a bag from the opposing supermarket chain that I found in a skip and washed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Its a good move. Not only is the use of plastics reduced but in my own case it will probably stop me from heading into a shop after the pub and buying something I think I need. Could save me a fortune!

I still think plastic individual packaging of goods in Thailand is more of an issue than carry-out plastic bags though. Both should be banned if they are serious about this.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 6:53 PM, Kerryd said:

The Tops near me usually has 2-3 different sizes of reusable bags near the cash registers. I've been using one for months now. Some time ago they started doing a "no plastic bags on Tuesdays" routine to get people thinking about it. I got caught by that once but rather than stomp off in a childish snit, I bought a reusable bag. 
No problem.

I purposely will NEVER EVER take my own reusable bag shopping....I plan to be making a  problem and throwing a fit in any store from here on out that does not offer single use disposable plastic bags when I go shopping....I am in this for the long haul.....  

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Its a good move. Not only is the use of plastics reduced but in my own case it will probably stop me from heading into a shop after the pub and buying something I think I need. Could save me a fortune!

Millions and millions more millions of millions of dollars will be lost in sales from the stores who are foolish enough to try this no plastic bag nonsense...

On 12/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, balo said:

Nonsense, when they are forced to it they have no choice, all the big companies already signed the agreement. When they stop producing bags you need to bring your own. 

I am sure Hopewell will be happy to tell you how much Signed agreements are worth in Thailand...lol

On 12/27/2019 at 12:47 AM, billd766 said:

One of the great things about cloth bags is that you can actually wash then if they get wet or dirty. Then you hang them outside to dry. Easy peasy.

Cloth bags are not easy to wash if you refuse to ever use one like me....

• Confused 1

On 12/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, billd766 said:

But nobody is forcing you to buy bin bags. The choice is yours. 

BTW, they won't GIVE you free bin bags !

In the house I have 3 upstairs bins, 4 downstairs bins and one in the kitchen. Naturally they are of 2 different sizes so I buy a pack of 12 x 20 and one of 15 x 30 plus the big bin liners 36 x 45 to put all the other trash bags in.

When I go bulk shopping I take 6 or 7 cloth bags and use them for my shopping. I have been doing it that way for years and find it very easy to do.

You are the perfect cattle, do what they want you to do and say Thank you !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Cloth bags are not easy to wash if you refuse to ever use one like me....

They are very easy to clean. I chuck mine in the washing machine every 2 or 3 weeks. If they are really bad I scrub them with Hygiene first and then chuck them into the washing machine. 

Hygiene works on the collars and white socks that my 15 year old son brings home daily.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You are the perfect cattle, do what they want you to do and say Thank you !

I have been doing it for over 20 years in Thailand and I have always found that it works for me.

Nobody has told me what to do. They don't need to as it is common sense to me, but obviously not to you.

You carry on doing it your way, including the whining, and I will do it my way as it works easily for me.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Millions and millions more millions of millions of dollars will be lost in sales from the stores who are foolish enough to try this no plastic bag nonsense...

Utter pish.

Also why would a Thailand company lose dollars ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I purposely will NEVER EVER take my own reusable bag shopping....I plan to be making a  problem and throwing a fit in any store from here on out that does not offer single use disposable plastic bags when I go shopping....I am in this for the long haul.....  

I was at Khao Kalok today with family and kids.  This is a beach frequented by hundreds of Thais.  There are signs 'asking' not to bring plastic bags or foam onto the beach.  Bearing in mind that it's almost 100% thai people, I noticed that the vast majority were complying.  It seems like the Thais are getting to grips with this situation but not you.  How sad.

I have wondered whether your posts are a wind-up and you're playing Devil's Advocate as I can't believe anyone is so stupid.  If that's the case, then well done.  You have certainly stirred up an active debate.

If not, then you are a quite sad individual.  Any hassle you suffer is self inflicted.  A great role-model to a younger generation - "Don't worry about the law.  Just do as you want". You are certainly not a role model advocating having a relaxed, happy life.

If you continue in the actions I've underlined, then eventually, I wouldn't be surprised in you being banned from multiple stores and they have the right to enforce such a ban.

I actually agree with some of your points.  Retailers first thought on stopping the issue of single use plastic bags is to do with their bottom line.  Having said that, then it gives an incentive to retailers and the consequential benefit to the environment can't be ignored.

Banning single use bags is a tiny step towards a proper solution, but a step in the right direction.

These comments are not just aimed at you but to others on the forum with a similar mindset.

I think I've made my point over and over again.  I'll leave you with your consciences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HHTel said:

I was at Khao Kalok today with family and kids.  This is a beach frequented by hundreds of Thais.  There are signs 'asking' not to bring plastic bags or foam onto the beach.  Bearing in mind that it's almost 100% thai people, I noticed that the vast majority were complying.  It seems like the Thais are getting to grips with this situation but not you.  How sad.

I have wondered whether your posts are a wind-up and you're playing Devil's Advocate as I can't believe anyone is so stupid.  If that's the case, then well done.  You have certainly stirred up an active debate.

If not, then you are a quite sad individual.  Any hassle you suffer is self inflicted.  A great role-model to a younger generation - "Don't worry about the law.  Just do as you want". You are certainly not a role model advocating having a relaxed, happy life.

If you continue in the actions I've underlined, then eventually, I wouldn't be surprised in you being banned from multiple stores and they have the right to enforce such a ban.

I actually agree with some of your points.  Retailers first thought on stopping the issue of single use plastic bags is to do with their bottom line.  Having said that, then it gives an incentive to retailers and the consequential benefit to the environment can't be ignored.

Banning single use bags is a tiny step towards a proper solution, but a step in the right direction.

These comments are not just aimed at you but to others on the forum with a similar mindset.

I think I've made my point over and over again.  I'll leave you with your consciences.

Tho you may have good intentions behind your posts.....You are not seeing that if the powers behind the plastic bag bans wanted truly biodegradable bags we would have already had them years ago....(And they would cost almost nothing if produced by the billions) They are not interested in biodegradable bags at all.....But they are very interested in the social programming of forcing people to carry bags around with them 24/7 incase they ever want to make a unexpected purchase.... 

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

But they are very interested in the social programming of forcing people to carry bags around with them 24/7 incase they ever want to make a unexpected purchase....

Good point.... they are opposed to a situation where a person may be deterred from shopping in any way.