Thailand vs Philippines

tomauasia

On 12/27/2019 at 1:03 PM, BritManToo said:

Most of the Filipino girls i have encountered can make jokes and understand humour in English, watch and listen to the same movies and music as us, and discuss anything happening in the world you like.

Thai girls generally have no idea about anything outside of Thailand, and can barely speak or understand English, even if they studied for an English degree at University and passed with honours.

I lived in PI from 1981 - 1985, one of the big difference's with the girls was the Filipino girls wanted to get 'married" and get out of the PI as quick as possible, whereas the Thai girls wanted to go back to their village, no interest in living anywhere else!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Many people left their helmet on motorcycle in Thailand and nobody stole it.

I am talking about armed robberies or snatch thieves.

I got my motorbike helmet stolen in a place which charged me for parking, and this was upcountry in Thailand, in fact it is the only time anyone has ever stolen from me here.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Where I was living in PI, they would have a 2 hour power cut every week or two.

Where I live in Thailand, we have a 2 hour power cut every time there's strong winds, rain and lightning. 

Dude you live smack in the middle of a rice paddy surrounded by mountains. What were you expecting?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that

How about keeping it real? 90% on here are big cry babies. Nobody comes here to be positive and those that do get stomped on instantly by somebody that despises their lifestyle and then their back slapping mates join in. Its pretty pathetic. Why they are still here is  a mystery . Yes there always convenient excuses , Cant leave because have ( insert anything here)

a dog 

a cat 

a pet pig

A parrot

A chicken

A wife, gf a lady boy etc etc etc.....

On 12/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, brokenbone said:

continuous electricity ranks at the very top of my priorities,

so no phil for me

So no Vietnam for you either : had to leave my room again today to escape another 7am to 5pm blackout :happens once or twice a month in the delta area town of Tra Vinh. 

2 hours ago, Momofarang said:

I still wonder why Malaysia never gets mentioned in these threads. Is it because they are Muslims or because they have a sensible retirement visa offer?

I chose malaysia after checking out other countries. Muslims are no bother, lots of chinese malays, indians. Cosmopolitan place, never had an issue.

I would also not have been disappointed if chose vietnam.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

What about Indonesia?  Aussies love it there, even crowded Bali. Lombok looks good. Indonesian are laid back and secular from what i hear.

Food is suppose to be very good, safe, modern country.

I thought about that. But I would avoid Bali. Way too overcrowded and over developed. So, where? Eastern Java? Any ex-pat communities? 

A friend living on Bali complains about visas. Apparently not easy. I do like the people and the food. And it is a fascinating place to explore. 10,000 islands like the PI, but without the ghetto quality and the Tijuana vibe. 

Anyone with knowledge of living in Indonesia have any info to contribute? Are there good reasons we hear so little about expats choosing Indonesia?

On 12/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, Gweiloman said:

This thread can’t be right. Most posts rate PI, Vietnam, Cambodia and even Laos above Thailand in terms of both standard and cost of living. 

Surely not Cambidia. This is no way above standard of living of Thailand. None of those countries is.

28 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I chose malaysia after checking out other countries. Muslims are no bother, lots of chinese malays, indians. Cosmopolitan place, never had an issue.

I would also not have been disappointed if chose vietnam.

Malaysia for sure have the best infrastructure, diciplined driving, and quite cheep, and english is not so bad. 

On 12/27/2019 at 11:44 AM, tomauasia said:

It's not a comparison it's my personal situation. And just my thoughts..But thanks lol

Only problem is being with a one of those greasy skinned Filipina’s who all have the same accent of an excited chicken, there horrible disgusting greasy food, and of course being with the most hypocritical people/ cultures on the planet. They have been conquered/ invaded over 6 times and don’t even know who they are culturally except for being entertainment and servants to the world. Not only did they allow Imelda Marcos to come back to their country after stealing billions of dollars but even elected her to a congresswoman. She should’ve been invited back dragged through the streets and hung by her nipples and stoned to death, that’s how stupid and short term memory they have. And don’t even get me started on Catholicism where there’s a church on every corner like a 7-Eleven in Thailand and the 100 different dialects they have, also all of them would sell their grandmothers just to move to America. You should see the lines at the American Embassy in Manila, 1000 people in line, crazy. Don’t  even get me started on Catholicism where there’s a church on every corner like a 7-Eleven in Thailand and the 100 different dialects they have,. All of them would sell their grandmothers just to move to America. You should see the lines at the American Embassy in Manila, 1000 people in line, crazy. Never compare Thailand to the Philippines it just shows what a freaking ignorant no knowing person you are.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I can't speak for others, but for me, I could not live in a Muslim country. The culture surrounding that religion and that goes hand in hand with it,  is not one that attracts me and in some Middle Eastern countries, actively repels me.  

I don't think you've been to Malaysia recently.  Its clean, great roads and highways,  multi cultural (Chinese, Indian and western ),  English spoken almost everywhere,  alcohol available easily (no limited trading hours like we have here in TL ....as far as I experienced), no Muslim culture "in your face" unless women wearing headgear offends you, people are polite and friendly.  I enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, generealty said:

brokenbone - I have based myself in Thailand with my Thai family for 23 years but have worked and lived in many Asian countries. I have worked and lived in Vietnam for approx 10 of those years and never ever experienced any problems with electricity supply or internet for that matter. Overall, the infrastructure in Vietnam is good.

yes, i would relocate there if i could renew my visa within the country for the reminder of my life,

but alas, im not american

the ironic part about the expats running from Thailand to the philippines is that they have to run right back to thailand the moment they get sick otherwise they are going to die because of the healthcare system that is PI. 

Considering my age and health I would spend a few years there island hopping, not a chance would I ever retire or settle down there until the healthcare is on par with Thailand

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

I don't think you've been to Malaysia recently.  Its clean, great roads and highways,  multi cultural (Chinese, Indian and western ),  English spoken almost everywhere,  alcohol available easily (no limited trading hours like we have here in TL ....as far as I experienced), no Muslim culture "in your face" unless women wearing headgear offends you, people are polite and friendly.  I enjoyed it.

Yes to all that, but the underlying culture and attitudes, including a legal system that I can't support,  are still in place and obvious. Just not for me. 

6 hours ago, Don Chance said:

What about Indonesia?  Aussies love it there, even crowded Bali. Lombok looks good. Indonesian are laid back and secular from what i hear.

Food is suppose to be very good, safe, modern country.

My trips to Indonesia have left me with a better feeling than Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia or Laos. Thailand easy no.1 though

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You consider Britain has good food?

Actually, I rate British food highly. If I were ever on death row, a roast beef or lamb dinner would definitely be on the short list. 
I also absolutely love steak and kidney pie, best one I ever tasted was in Anglesey. Had a to die for roasted pork belly in a great little pub in Tarporley a few years ago. Mushroom with Stilton - how can other starters possibly compete with that?

Also best ever apple pie I ate was baked by an English girl. 

Thailand takes all the best bits of SEA and puts them in one package. This thread is swinging to positive which would be a first.

That tells me the pathetic losers who were flushed out by their embassies are actually starting to leave... Happy days 55555555

25 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

No need for that response .  Mine is a personal opinion, just as valid as yours, or anyones elses. 

Let my put it this way. What country do you compare to? Your view on Phil, could easily fits any Asian country and many of the countries we come from who read and post here in TV. So just out of curiosity, where do you come from, and where are you living now, or wich country do you se as better of than phil? 

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I can't speak for others, but for me, I could not live in a Muslim country. The culture surrounding that religion and that goes hand in hand with it,  is not one that attracts me and in some Middle Eastern countries, actively repels me.  

How sad for you. 

Great food in shopping malls unlike the <deleted> they serve in here. Cheap rent, quality accommodation in big city like KL, much cleaner air, great transport options, super cheap everything inuding Grab, beautiful women (yea hookers kinda hard to come by omg omg). 

KL to me is a great place to retire. 

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

How sad for you. 

Great food in shopping malls unlike the <deleted> they serve in here. Cheap rent, quality accommodation in big city like KL, much cleaner air, great transport options, super cheap everything inuding Grab, beautiful women (yea hookers kinda hard to come by omg omg). 

KL to me is a great place to retire. 

Indonesia is a pain in the a... when their burning their forrest and fields even in KL, but except from that season, it is one of the best Cities to live in. 

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Funny you say so, I have have never stayed long term in Malaysia, but I have some past with Algeria and Morocco, and both countries are way more receptive and open to western values than Thailand. The only thing that's western in Thailand id GREED, but works only for a tiny minority.

Archived