Thailand vs Philippines

tomauasia

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure Phils learn reading and writing in school. I have had two Phil "friends/s" when in my home county of Canada. Understanding either was a bitch (language, not them). They both were under the impression that they spoke good English. Maybe so but I think the problem was that they spoke fast and I couldn't comprehend. And both had been in Canada for a few years.

One was a smart, hard working, penny pinching nanny who went on from there to gain more certificates, bought her family a house in Phils and has now brought her boys to Canada. This girl was totally honest with me.

The other, also a nanny, was a lower IQ loser who got involved in drug use, stole all my money and documentation that was in a locked cupboard, one day when she was doing "paid for" house cleaning for me. Her Phil accent was also accentuated by her head being e-f-f-e-d up as a result of drugs.

These two examples are to demonstrate my opinion of their English language skills. I have never been to Phils but fail to understand why English is said to be so understandable there (where they don't speak English on a regular basis).

I wrote this in response to the posters who spoke of good English in the Philippines.

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

I still wonder why Malaysia never gets mentioned in these threads. Is it because they are Muslims or because they have a sensible retirement visa offer?

I can't speak for others, but for me, I could not live in a Muslim country. The culture surrounding that religion and that goes hand in hand with it,  is not one that attracts me and in some Middle Eastern countries, actively repels me.  

Some people are NEVER satisfied...you left your home country for Thailand, you left Thailand as you were not satisfied, you left Philippines as you were not satisfied and now you are back!

Maybe  you should  think about the best of a place instead of living your  dreams not being satisfied!

On 12/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, Gweiloman said:

This thread can’t be right. Most posts rate PI, Vietnam, Cambodia and even Laos above Thailand in terms of both standard and cost of living. 

I think you need to do some more serious research, or perhaps your living on another Planet?

23 minutes ago, neeray said:

Sure Phils learn reading and writing in school. I have had two Phil "friends/s" when in my home county of Canada. Understanding either was a bitch (language, not them). They both were under the impression that they spoke good English. Maybe so but I think the problem was that they spoke fast and I couldn't comprehend. And both had been in Canada for a few years.

One was a smart, hard working, penny pinching nanny who went on from there to gain more certificates, bought her family a house in Phils and has now brought her boys to Canada. This girl was totally honest with me.

The other, also a nanny, was a lower IQ loser who got involved in drug use, stole all my money and documentation that was in a locked cupboard, one day when she was doing "paid for" house cleaning for me. Her Phil accent was also accentuated by her head being e-f-f-e-d up as a result of drugs.

These two examples are to demonstrate my opinion of their English language skills. I have never been to Phils but fail to understand why English is said to be so understandable there (where they don't speak English on a regular basis).

I wrote this in response to the posters who spoke of good English in the Philippines.

Filipinos don’t speak good English, they learn American English in schools which is why I have to correct pronunciation when my son comes home from school after being taught by a Filipino English teacher.

23 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Fair call.... Sir yes Sir. Thais <deleted>

I find the Thais in the rural areas to be warm and friendly. Most Thais in the city are indifferent. Many are kind. But not overflowing with the desire to get to know us! Also, one thing that really separates the PI people from the Thai people is curiosity. They have it. Very few Thais are curious, therefore they do not really want to talk to us, or get to know us, due to having very little interest in the outside world. The women here are a lot more interesting than the men. In all the years I have lived here, the number of Thai male friends I have made is astonishingly low. In PI I do not think that would be the case. 

Having said that, the only reason I can think of to live in the PI would be the women. They are more passionate, they are more Western, they like older men, and many speak good english. But, the country itself leaves me cold. The weather (being on the front line for the typhoons), the lack of good infrastructure, the security situation (I feel infinitely less safe there, than in Thailand) and the food are real deterrents. 

In summary:

Pros-

1. The women can be lovely. And many of them speak english. And if you are older guy, that is a plus in the PI. Plus they are way less demanding, and the bar is set much lower, in terms of their expectations.  Older guys can get with far younger women, without an issue. The parents actually encourage it! Generally, it is possible to have a real conversation with many women there. Not the case here. It is rare here. Unlike most Thai women, the women there can have a real sense of curiousity, and will ask genuine questions about you, and your life, beyond where do you come from, how much do you earn, and what do you own? The PI seems to have a higher level of intellectual development. 

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa, unless that has changed.

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2018/01/15/the-philippines-residency-srrv/

3. The place has thousands of islands, and some stunning beaches, and cleaner water than Thailand, at least on the Gulf Coast. But, the islands are fairly hard to get to, and the services are very limited, and more expensive than in Thailand. 

4. In general I would say the people can be quite friendly. Especially the women. But, unlike Thailand, even the men can be friendly. I suspect if I lived there, I would have a number of local male friends, unlike here. I have never met a society of men, who are less interested, less curious about, and less willing to get to know foreigners, than I have here in Thailand. It is sometimes astonishing. It is a real disappointment. 

5. The place is more Westernized. You do not feel like you are living on another planet, which can be nice sometimes. Some shopping can be better, as there are Costco type outlets there. Some of the highways are better, and as an American, I can have goods shipped to me, with a preferred system, that allows low cost shipping, and duty free imports. Unheard of in Thailand. Importation of goods in Thailand can be horrendously difficult. It is an onerous system, one that is outdated by decades, in this age of globalization. Thailand is far, far more insular and fearful of the outside world, than the PI.

Cons-

1. The entire country is like one big Tijuana. It is depressing. Very little landscaping in the homes, even nice homes are ugly, and have barbed wire, and glass topped walls everywhere you look. 

2. The security situation is not very good. You always have to keep your eyes open, keep an eye on your back, and beware of robbery, home theft, and violence. It is rampant. I have many friends who live there, and they all say the same thing. 

3. If you do get into an altercation with a Philippine man, or are getting robbed or harassed, unless you are a 6th degree sensei, do not fight back. An astonishing number of locals are well trained in the fighting arts. Many are good with sticks, knives, blades or any sort, and their hands, fists and feet. I have a friend who is a world class security consultant. He is a black belt in a few different martial arts. He says he can usually fight his way out of a gang of men, nearly anywhere in the world. Except in the PI. That is the only country he will NOT take an assignment. The average guys there, can take down the average Westerner in five seconds. In Thailand few have those kinds of skills. Very few.

4. The food sucks. The only other country I can think of with worse food, is Cuba. Granted, if you are willing to spend the money, you can find good food. But, it is not the general rule, as it is here. Also, the access to fresh fruits and vegetables is pathetic compared to Thailand. Very low quality, and often not fresh. Thailand is a paradise by comparison, when it comes to all things related to food. 

5. Pollution. They use a lower grade of diesel. So, there is alot of soot in the air. The PI has an epidemic of lung diseases and respiratory diseases. Even on many of the populated islands. The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

6. Aesthetics. The average house you would rent, looks like a slum. Tall walls, with barbed wire, to keep out intruders. And they just do not pay attention to landscaping and gardens like the Thai people do. So, most neighborhoods are fabulously ugly. Alot of slums in the big cities, and just not physically appealing.

7. And though the nation has many gorgeous islands, it is hard to access them, and the facilities are marginal, or over priced. I always say, it is best to tour the PI with either a 150 foot yacht, or a helicopter. 

8. Renting. There is a vastly lower number of rental units available, few are as nice as what you can find in Thailand, and it is almost always more expensive, with the possible exception of Central Bangkok. You just cannot find the studio apartments like the ones available all over Hua Hin, for 6,000 to 8,000 baht a month. That does not exist there.

9. Infrastructure. The entire country lacks the infrastructure you have here in Thailand. As I am typing now, I am enjoying a 200MB download speed, and a 100MB upload speed, all on fiber optic cable, for 800 baht a month. Unheard of in many countries, including the US! Triple the cost there. No sky train network anywhere near comparable to Bangkok. Mo MRT network either. They have one under construction, and it will be limited to ten stations.  

Shall I go on? I could. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to live there is the women, and a slightly more cooperative, and far less xenophobic and racist government. Alot of ex-pats are leaving Thailand, as the current administration is so far beyond heinous and incompetent, it is unspeakable. But, I choose to stay for now. I am confident the army will be out of power far sooner, than my departure from this land. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa, unless that has changed.

You can just extend the VISA waiver on entry endlessly.

I don't understand why people even mention the SRRV, it's just BS, nobody I met there did anything except extend or get the free married VISA, no hoops, no money.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most Thais in the city are indifferent.

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few Thais are curious,

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

due to having very little interest in the outside world

In general locals don't care, about anything if it is not family related. 

Once one accepts this one can also accept all the other indifference and stop complaining about them on TV.

Things like road safety - Don't care

Treatment of dogs  - Don't care

et al 

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Wow. I never realised that Mexican, Indian, Aussie and German food are subsets of Filipino food. Which provinces in the Philippines do they come from?

I do know that in Thailand, these are not considered Thai food. 

Yes

It's a fact we can eat chicken and rice 40 baht and in pattaya there's one shop it's so good to. We can kopowkai among other cheap dishes always anywhere. In the Philippines we have 0 outside only overpriced western imitations 

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

In general locals don't care, about anything if it is not family related. 

Once one accepts this one can also accept all the other indifference and stop complaining about them on TV.

Things like road safety - Don't care

Treatment of dogs  - Don't care

et al 

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "stop complaining online" or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

23 hours ago, metisdead said:

Please relax, I have now edited the topic title to add an 's' so that it now reads "Thailand vs Philippines".

Can be tricky.

Philippines

Philippine Islands

Filipino / Filipina

Pinoy / Pinay

8 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

What about Indonesia?  Aussies love it there, even crowded Bali. Lombok looks good. Indonesian are laid back and secular from what i hear.

Food is suppose to be very good, safe, modern country.

Secular? It's the most populous Muslim country on the planet. Bali was really nice 35 years ago other than too many Aussies. ????

20 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Wow. I never realised that Mexican

There a little know fact about the Philippines.  In the early years of the Spanish colonization, it was actually faster to go from Spain to the Philippines by transiting Mexico.  In fact many of the clergy that went to the Philippines were from Mexico.   

On 12/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, brokenbone said:

continuous electricity ranks at the very top of my priorities,

so no phil for me

and you think Thailand does have continuing electricity?? If the Phils is worse, then it must be really bad.

23 hours ago, tomauasia said:

In a nutshell food ánd intelligence Thais win a gold medal. 

Thais intelligent????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Road behavior sucks

really dreadfully for a start. Common sense everywhere in very short supply.

3 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

Thais to be very insular, downright ignorant and uneducated most times at checkout I will always greet the person to be greeted back by nothing

Maybe because I live in the NE Countryside. Ignorant not do much,

Poorly educated I agree and may have a lot to due with Education system. I’ve read the system may be changed so all children have opportunity for education through what I call 12 grade.

As it is here in the NE children’s education may be finished in 

8th grade which is nonsense. Out of school @ 13 can’t work a

regular job except farm work until 20? Those 7 years IMO is

settomg up most for failure. 

Greeting seems most do so here in NE. Small towns in most

countries seem friendlier than big cities. I lived in Los Angeles

County US. Most didn’t know their neighbors and didn’t bother

to.

I’ve not been to PI in 20-25 years so can’t give an opinion with

the exception of food which is / can be very good in both.

The PI may not be possible for everyone:

"The Philippines announced Friday that it has banned two U.S. senators from traveling to the country while threatening to impose stricter visa requirements for all Americans in response to new sanctions".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/philippines-bars-democratic-senators-from-entering-threatens-visa-rules-for-americans

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Philippines-you leave helmet on motorcycle all day and it’s there when you come back.

Many people left their helmet on motorcycle in Thailand and nobody stole it.

I am talking about armed robberies or snatch thieves.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Your English appears to be as poor as a Thai girls English, so I understand you may not be able to judge the difference.

The poster, I won't bother trying to print his username, is definitely not a native English speaker, but you cannot

blame him for that. 

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and you think Thailand does have continuing electricity?? If the Phils is worse, then it must be really bad.

Where I was living in PI, they would have a 2 hour power cut every week or two.

Where I live in Thailand, we have a 2 hour power cut every time there's strong winds, rain and lightning. 

Archived