Mayor of municipality in Trang missing after car accident

webfact

Mayor of municipality in Trang missing after car accident 

By The Nation

800_abe930ef2e1f36d.jpg?v=1577351765

Hat Samran police station in Trang province was informed at 07.16 pm on December 25 of a white Mitsubishi Pajero SUV falling into a canal with two passengers trapped inside.

They were identified as the Mayor of Nakhon Trang Municipality Apichit Winothaias, owner of the vehicle, and his chauffer.

Police and rescue team took three hours to pull it from the canal but found only Sutthimeth Panysitthikorn, the 22-year-old chauffeur, dead on the back seat. There was no sign of the mayor. 

Divers have been searching for him while locals pray that the mayor would survive the accident as he is a respectful person in the community.

Security cameras nearby show the car travelling at high speed, then suddenly plunged into the canal. The mayor, reportedly, left Thetsaban 1 Sangkhawit School’s boy scout camp before the accident.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379874

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-27

Bit weird to hear the chauffeur sitting on the back-seat. Of course we don't know anything, but I wonder if the mayor was driving and if so, why?

Edited by wolf81

Body of Trang mayor found 5 km from crash site

By THE NATION

800_8dbd0c8f1a45cb1.jpg?v=1577409756

Trang police were informed on Thursday (December 26) at 5pm by the Kusol Sathan Trang Rescue Foundation that one of their staff had found the body of Apichit Winothaias, Mayor of Nakhon Trang Municipality floating in the sea while patrolling Hat Samran Beach on a paramotor.

6ebdfggib7ia668dkdea6.jpg

On Wednesday the police and rescue staff pulled a white Mitsubishi Pajero SUV from a canal approximately 5 kilometres from where Apichit’s body was found. In the back seat they found the body of 22-year-old chauffeur Sutthimeth Panysitthikorn but no sign of the mayor. Security cameras nearby show the car travelling at high speed, then suddenly plunging into the canal.

45741(1).jpg

Rescue staff said that the crash site is near a channel leading to the open sea near Koh Libong in Kantang district of Trang province, which is why the body was washed away. Apichit’s body has brought to Hat Samran Hospital for autopsy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379893?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-27

23 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Bit weird to hear the chauffeur sitting on the back-seat. Of course we don't know anything, but I wonder if the mayor was driving and if so, why?

My guess would be he managed to reach get to the back seats and exit the vehicle as the nose (with Engine) submerged first. The Mayor already being in the back seat was perhaps able to exit the vehicle before drawing and being washed away. 

What an awful way to go. 

Are people in Thailand even educated on how to exit a car which impacts deep water? i.e. by opening the windows and allowing the pressure to equalize (i.e .water to rise), then escaping, and then being able to swim. 

(the electrics on cars are insulated and will last some time even when the vehicle is submerged). 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, RichardColeman said:

Waiting for the alcohol leave his system most likely

He did a runner to avoid alcohol breath test, lol. Hundreds more deaths to come. You expats must have balls of steel to volunteer to live in that war zone called LOS 555

• Confused 1

On 12/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Are people in Thailand even educated on how to exit a car which impacts deep water? i.e. by opening the windows and allowing the pressure to equalize (i.e .water to rise), then escaping, and then being able to swim. 

(the electrics on cars are insulated and will last some time even when the vehicle is submerged).

does any country teach that