Eskimo syndrome

Tofer

On a recent visit to Bangkok, I was amazed, particularly in view of the current awareness of climate change, at the sheer waste of power and money exhibited by certain organisations there.

Don Muang airport was so cold people were donning jackets and jumpers, and clammering to the windows to get what bit of heat they could from the sun. I sat literally shivering on the MTR and BTS trains, when a good few degrees warmer would have been perfectly acceptable and comfortable. And I'm a Brit, so goodness knows how the Thais cope with it....

I am aware it took a couple of decades for the cinemas in Thailand to realise they were throwing money down the drain with air conditioning running far in excess of comfortable levels, but surely the powers that be in these organisations cannot be so blind or immune that they do not realise that these freezing temperatures are completely unnecessary and a gross waste of their operating budgets.

Maybe we need to invite Greta for a visit.....

Please can anyone connected with these organisations make some suggestions to rectify this wasteful and downright uncomfortable practice.

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word excommunicati, meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.

5 minutes ago, Suddenplans said:

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term

Is that why ASRC (Arctic Slope Regional Corporation) runs a company called "Eskimos, Inc"?

Alaska natives of Inuit and Inupiaq heritage use the term Eskimo freely.

Cold means wealthy. 

I saw a rack of woolen sweaters for a mere 8900 baht at Siam Discovery today. 

Now, if I were Thai and would buy this sweater the main purpose, of course,  would be to take a picture of Me in my woolen sweater and post it on "face" (in case you are new here,  "face" is Thai for Facebook and Bangkok has long been the city with the most Facebook users).

A secondary purpose would be to show it off to my office colleagues. I couldn't wear it in the office if a/c is set at more than 18°. More important,  everybody else should be shivering from cold and I would be sitting there,  smug and comfortable.  So a/c should be set at, let's say 10°C. If those colleagues in the office who can't afford a sweater get sick, all the better. 

Same logic for socks (some posters may remember the times when Thais didn't wear socks,  even in the BTS), leather jackets, gloves, you name it.

BTW yesterday I saw a commercial inviting Thais to travel to Yakutsk, the coldest city on earth. 

some air con machine in buildings or cinemas can't be turned down precisely, they might have a 2-3 air con unit for the space, and they could turn multiple of them off, or all off, if the cinema is quite empty of people it could be quite cold even with just one compressor running, but turning the air con off completely would be too hot and humid

I love the a/c here. I think more frail people tend to be cold a lot. Even in airplanes you see it. Some people wear thick jackets sometimes, it’s ridiculous! Swampy is NEVER cold. The arrival hall always has people in shorts sweating. 

35 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Even in airplanes you see it

The aircon on planes is usually too cold, that is why they issue all passengers with blankets.

Think of the weight they could save by having the cabin a few degrees warmer.

And while on about that, what does it cost to ship all the magazines etc in the seat pockets, which very very few people read.

11 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

This post is giving me a headache. A/C is awesome. Please don't Greta all over the place.

I remember sitting on a bus (not in Thailand) which was cooled down to 5°C. It was COLD. Greta wasn't born yet, I would have loved if she would have killed the driver. 

What's the point of having AC if you're not uncomfortable?

10 years ago or so I found a study about AC temps and amount of wasted energy here. Lost when computer crashed and burned. Bottom line is many in offices etc are uncomfortable, but as is typical, dare not say a thing.

I take a jacket or blanket when I go to cinema. I can't take all that long at many malls. You get good bit of sweat outside and then it is shock of cold makes you feel like Mr Freeze hit you with his magic.

Insane, but what else is new?

18 minutes ago, Emdog said:

What's the point of having AC if you're not uncomfortable?

10 years ago or so I found a study about AC temps and amount of wasted energy here. Lost when computer crashed and burned. Bottom line is many in offices etc are uncomfortable, but as is typical, dare not say a thing.

I take a jacket or blanket when I go to cinema. I can't take all that long at many malls. You get good bit of sweat outside and then it is shock of cold makes you feel like Mr Freeze hit you with his magic.

Insane, but what else is new?

I used to take a sleeping bag to the movies. It was nice and comfy. GF didn't like it,  though 

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The aircon on planes is usually too cold, that is why they issue all passengers with blankets.

Think of the weight they could save by having the cabin a few degrees warmer.

And while on about that, what does it cost to ship all the magazines etc in the seat pockets, which very very few people read.

The weight of blankets is negligible.

And on many flights now,  they don't give you a blanket anymore,  especially airlines like KLM. 

4 minutes ago, uhuh said:

The weight of blankets is negligible.

And on many flights now,  they don't give you a blanket anymore,  especially airlines like KLM. 

Negligible weight of 400 blankets on a 380 at say 100 gms each = 80kg. What would they charge you for 80kg excess baggage?

If you were on KLM and said you were cold, what would they do, tell you to suffer. 

On 12/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, ToYoungToRetire said:

Newyork less than 10000 years ago was covered in a Glacier a  scamile thick.  

Global climate change is real, Humans causing it is a laugh. 

So is that little irritating Scandinavian gnome.

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If you were on KLM and said you were cold, what would they do, tell you to suffer. 

I was on KLM. I was cold. I asked for a blanket.

They told me that they don't have blankets.

I had looked around myself before I asked.  They really didn't have any. 

24 minutes ago, uhuh said:

I was on KLM. I was cold. I asked for a blanket.

They told me that they don't have blankets.

I had looked around myself before I asked.  They really didn't have any. 

KLM are notorious cheap-skates and will also not provide any leniency on a small overweight luggage.

I once witnessed on a KLM-flight how a stewardess insulted a passenger in a way that made me cringe, it would have been worthy of a Worst Customer Service Award of the Year.

Last time I flew them (had no other choice), the seats were cramped, and the in-flight entertainment limited and on small blurry monitors. 

I am not a difficult person, but if at all possible, I avoid them like the plague.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

KLM are notorious cheap-skates and will also not provide any leniency on a small overweight luggage.

I once witnessed on a KLM-flight how a stewardess insulted a passenger in a way that made me cringe, it would have been worthy of a Worst Customer Service Award of the Year.

Last time I flew them (had no other choice), the seats were cramped, and the in-flight entertainment limited and on small blurry monitors. 

I am not a difficult person, but if at all possible, I avoid them like the plague.

I could have written this post. 

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Negligible weight of 400 blankets on a 380 at say 100 gms each = 80kg. What would they charge you for 80kg excess baggage?

I think 80 Kilos compared to the total weight of the aircraft is next to nothing. 

On 12/27/2019 at 5:49 AM, Suddenplans said:

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word excommunicati, meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.

> Eskimo Wisdom

Eskimo wisdom.png

Newyork less than 10000 years ago was covered in a Glacier a mile thick.

No what is a laugh is the dozen or so corporate shrills who don't believe it and the many thousands of real scientists who know that it is true.  It is known why their were glaciers and it is known why the climate is changing more rapidly than at any point in history.

Just one factor is cars.  The average car produces 4.6 tons of carbon and there are 1 billion cars.

Newyork less than 10000 years ago was covered in a Glacier a mile thick.

Always comforting to know that we have members with deep scientific knowledge among us...

If only they would wander outside the confines of climate science and help us out of our ignorance in medicine, or physics, for example, that would be much appreciated...

Archived