Eskimo syndrome

Tofer

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Have to say, I love Greta......a wonderful girl and surely a shoo-in for Woman & Person of the Year. I cannot understand the negativity towards her, which was of course fostered by Trump's PR people and US propaganda. 

She was indeed Time's Person of the Year. The problem with her is that she has the naivety of childhood, with zero experience of the business and political world and the way things work there - which is to make as much money as possible for personal gain, no matter what the cost. Same applies to the young people she is trying to mobilise. She, and they, are living in a dream world, sadly.

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

the way things work there - which is to make as much money as possible for personal gain, no matter what the cost. 

I know quite a lot of people, for whom this does not apply. 

Not only young idealists. 

On 12/27/2019 at 5:29 AM, Tofer said:

Maybe we need to invite Greta for a visit.....

You know, Greta says we shall listen to the scientists, but the scientists don't agree. Some of them even talk about a coming ice age, so one could presume, that the aircon is a way to get used to eskimo life-style...:whistling:

On the other hand I agree. My girls use to bring a blanket to the cinema, because it's too cold in there – me too think that, but I'll not loose face by using a blanket, I'm a cool man...???? – but same girls coming home prefer to sleep with aircon on in a cold room, but under a thick bedlinen as it's otherwise too cold...:huh:

20 minutes ago, uhuh said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

the way things work there - which is to make as much money as possible for personal gain, no matter what the cost. 

I know quite a lot of people, for whom this does not apply. 

Not only young idealists. 

And what influence, real influence, do those people you know have. Those with money make the rules, everywhere, always.

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

I think 80 Kilos compared to the total weight of the aircraft is next to nothing. 

That made me curious so I Googled it.

No wonder airports are always repairing the runway surface.

Airbus A380 Spec Table
General
Typical Seating    555 passengers
Maximum Take-off Weight    560,000kg (1,234,600lb)
Maximum Landing Weight    386,000kg (850,984lb)
Maximum Zero Fuel Weight    361,000kg (795869lb)

At a guess you from a cool European country. I find any form of air con in Thailand a relief from the hot weather and would encourage them not to change. Agreed in the cinema on the odd occasion it is far too cold. I go the gym 3 times a week with no air con and have to make do with fans. I get really peed off when some people normally from Scandinavia or Switzerland turn the fans off. 

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The aircon on planes is usually too cold, that is why they issue all passengers with blankets.

Think of the weight they could save by having the cabin a few degrees warmer.

And while on about that, what does it cost to ship all the magazines etc in the seat pockets, which very very few people read.

Er - the temperature outside the plane at cruising height is about - 50 C. It's not aircon that's causing the cold.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Er - the temperature outside the plane at cruising height is about - 50 C. It's not aircon that's causing the cold.

Well ask them to shut the door properly.   LOL

Last month I was near the front of an Emirates 380 and saw one of the stewards bring up a screen which showed the temperatures of the various zones in the passenger cabins. And he knocked one of them up a couple of degrees. So it can be done. 

On 12/27/2019 at 5:45 AM, ToYoungToRetire said:

Newyork less than 10000 years ago was covered in a Glacier a mile thick.

Global climate change is real, Humans causing it is a laugh. 

Amazing you can say climate change exist and humans has nothing to do with it.

We are the only ones running this planet.

We put billions of tons of CO2 and other gasses into the atmosphere.

At the same time we cut many forest and polluting the oceans, 8 million tons of plastic

dumped in the oceans every year. And now try to get it out ????

Human kind exploded to almost 9 billion people on this earth, when i was young there were only 3 billion, so it tripled.

Luckily as humans we have/had all sorts of wars going on, but they are getting less, as we get civilized, ???? 

Probably we would be now in more problems if we didnt had them. Maybe harsh, but true.

Guess some "wise guys" are now trying to bring that down by viruses, dont believe aids, H1N1, ebola, and others

come "naturally". Medicines getting more and more expensive, you cant get them anymore, so you just die.

Australia used viruses to kill bunnies, try first on an island but later also on main land bunnies were dying!.

So it became airborne and there was a time in the world, of bunnies dying mysteriously.

THey have problems with carps and want to kill them with herpes virus, special for carps, so they say.

Dont know if they already did now.

Viruses mostly mutate, so what is in for the future?

Maybe we are lucky and all the waste in space (lost satellites and so) will block the sun more.????

Oh, no we go to Mars and destroy all there ????

Or a clever alien ? will come and we will have our first interstellar war, because we invited them to come here

with the probe we send into space.  ????

Maybe many are getting used to cold weather and turn up the airco's.

In case the world will flip over and ice ages come again 

On 27 December 2019 at 11:49 AM, Suddenplans said:

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word excommunicati, meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.

Eskimo Eskimo Eskimo Eskimo Eskimo !

I’ve skied at notoriously cold resorts around Banff, Canada. I’ve skied several seasons in Hokkaido, with the weather coming straight from Siberia. I’ve spent a night at 23,000 feet on a Himalayan peak.

The coldest I’ve ever been was on a bus from Ekkamai to Pattaya.

23 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I love the a/c here. I think more frail people tend to be cold a lot. Even in airplanes you see it. Some people wear thick jackets sometimes, it’s ridiculous! Swampy is NEVER cold. The arrival hall always has people in shorts sweating. 

You need to get outdoors more and acclimatise.

There's certainly nothing frail about me, 5' 11" and 105kgs.

A/c is fine at sensible temperatures in suitable situations, but 30* outside to 12* inside is what's ridiculous..... Fans are far more healthy where appropriate.

I never mentioned Swampy, it was Don Muangs airside gates, and it was positively bl..dy freezing!

Your swampy anecdote proves my point, they have not got the first idea about how to set or control temperatures at sensible / comfortable operating levels.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:17 AM, digbeth said:

some air con machine in buildings or cinemas can't be turned down precisely, they might have a 2-3 air con unit for the space, and they could turn multiple of them off, or all off, if the cinema is quite empty of people it could be quite cold even with just one compressor running, but turning the air con off completely would be too hot and humid

Have you never heard of thermostats?

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Well ask them to shut the door properly.   LOL

Last month I was near the front of an Emirates 380 and saw one of the stewards bring up a screen which showed the temperatures of the various zones in the passenger cabins. And he knocked one of them up a couple of degrees. So it can be done. 

Try travelling Laos Air, you get a shower in the front rows from the condensation.

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

You need to get outdoors more and acclimatise.

There's certainly nothing frail about me, 5' 11" and 105kgs.

A/c is fine at sensible temperatures in suitable situations, but 30* outside to 12* inside is what's ridiculous..... Fans are far more healthy where appropriate.

I never mentioned Swampy, it was Don Muangs airside gates, and it was positively bl..dy freezing!

Your swampy anecdote proves my point, they have not got the first idea about how to set or control temperatures at sensible / comfortable operating levels.

I don’t believe any inside temp is 12. 
Frail can mean bad blood circulation because the cold inside temps seem to affect less than 20% of the people. Same at Don Mueang. 

10 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I don’t believe any inside temp is 12. 
Frail can mean bad blood circulation because the cold inside temps seem to affect less than 20% of the people. Same at Don Mueang. 

Maybe not, it was an over exaggeration to prove a point. I'm sure it's not a first on TV!

By the same token, I'd like to know where you got your 20% from?

There were far more people with jackets, jumpers, shawls, long sleeved shirts, trousers, shoes and socks than without, and those without were hogging the windows for the heat. The rest were grinning and bearing it....

On 12/28/2019 at 12:58 AM, uhuh said:

Cold means wealthy. 

I saw a rack of woolen sweaters for a mere 8900 baht at Siam Discovery today. 

Now, if I were Thai and would buy this sweater the main purpose, of course,  would be to take a picture of Me in my woolen sweater and post it on "face" (in case you are new here,  "face" is Thai for Facebook and Bangkok has long been the city with the most Facebook users).

A secondary purpose would be to show it off to my office colleagues. I couldn't wear it in the office if a/c is set at more than 18°. More important,  everybody else should be shivering from cold and I would be sitting there,  smug and comfortable.  So a/c should be set at, let's say 10°C. If those colleagues in the office who can't afford a sweater get sick, all the better. 

Same logic for socks (some posters may remember the times when Thais didn't wear socks,  even in the BTS), leather jackets, gloves, you name it.

BTW yesterday I saw a commercial inviting Thais to travel to Yakutsk, the coldest city on earth. 

You must be living in the boonies i guess.

Have a look in Uniqlo, loads of winterclothes there and the Thai who go to Japan all buy it.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, ToYoungToRetire said:

Newyork less than 10000 years ago was covered in a Glacier a mile thick.

Global climate change is real, Humans causing it is a laugh. 

In the 70’s skin cancer rates increased in the Southern Hemisphere. The cause was thinning of the ozone layer and a big hole over Antarctica. 

We replaced fluorocarbon propellants and refrigerant with something that didn’t destroy the ozone layer. 

Fourty years later the ozone later has almost completely recovered. 

Humans caused it, science found the cause and solution and we repaired the damage. 

Just because there are also natural temperature cycles it doesn’t mean people can’t make the problem worst (and also fix it). 

What you’re saying is like saying that burning forests down isn’t a problem because some fires are started by lightening and that’s natural. 

On 12/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Invite Greta?  Are you going to take your own medicine and paddle a canoe to get to your home country the next time you need to visit it?  

No need, I have a yacht and could use the free and environmentally friendly power of the wind, as Greta did on her Atlantic crossing.

By the way, my yacht tender is a kayak, so yes I would be paddling part of the way!

And unless you have ever made an ocean crossing, with a bunch of strangers to boot, show some respect for the young lady's commitment / dedication and determination.

What have you done in your lifetime to make a difference?

On 12/27/2019 at 11:54 AM, Halfaboy said:

Maybe we need to invite Greta for a visit.....

NO !

Shame. I for one would be happy to meet her!

She is intelligent, articulate and inspiring. Something a lot on this site cannot be accused of.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:11 AM, alex8912 said:

I love the a/c here. I think more frail people tend to be cold a lot. Even in airplanes you see it. Some people wear thick jackets sometimes, it’s ridiculous! Swampy is NEVER cold. The arrival hall always has people in shorts sweating. 

Swampy is an exception.  Modt malls, offices and large businesses crank up the air con too much. 

Archived