Thailand welcomes 39th million tourist

snoop1130

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Why suddenly make it a round figure? Just a week ago it seemed perfectly fine to make a lot of fanfare about the 38.26 millionth arrival.

Besides, only on December 11 it was reported that arrivals had reached 32.5 million. Provided that both total arrival figures are correct, that would mean an increase of a whopping 6.5 million new arrivals over the past 16 days, or an average of 382,352 PER DAY. How on earth does Thailand's woefully understaffed immigration department have the capacity to even process half of that? They already seem to struggle when two Boeing-747 land back to back. I just continue to believe that all these figures are deliberately doctored.

38.26m was a new annual record, thus it was marked as such. It is in the article you quoted.

382,352 a day is across all entry points. BKK/DMK alone can cheerfully handle 250,000 in a day.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, vadid said:

Strange, these milestone tourists are invariably women, and never, ever middle aged or elderly white men.

That always fly in on Thai Airways. 

22 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Why suddenly make it a round figure? Just a week ago it seemed perfectly fine to make a lot of fanfare about the 38.26 millionth arrival.

It was the last time Thai Airways had a passenger. 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, vadid said:

Strange, these milestone tourists are invariably women, and never, ever middle aged or elderly white men.

Nothing strange about that. The same principle applies to getting upgraded to first or business class. They don't pick crusty old, sex tourists, with spaghetti stained wifebeaters.

13 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Nothing strange about that. The same principle applies to getting upgraded to first or business class. They don't pick crusty old, sex tourists, with spaghetti stained wifebeaters.

Yes, but they should pick the actual 39 th million tourist, rather than the 39 000 001 st tourist

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, but they should pick the actual 39 th million tourist, rather than the 39 000 001 st tourist

Why? It is just a meaningless milestone. I am not sure they could actually locate the exact person down to the second anyway so they just pick somebody out. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Why suddenly make it a round figure? Just a week ago it seemed perfectly fine to make a lot of fanfare about the 38.26 millionth arrival.

Besides, only on December 11 it was reported that arrivals had reached 32.5 million. Provided that both total arrival figures are correct, that would mean an increase of a whopping 6.5 million new arrivals over the past 16 days, or an average of 382,352 PER DAY. How on earth does Thailand's woefully understaffed immigration department have the capacity to even process half of that? They already seem to struggle when two Boeing-747 land back to back. I just continue to believe that all these figures are deliberately doctored.

HMMM, they did some math here? One week, 740 000 tourist. So 52 or 53 times would be around 39 mils? 

12 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

i entered thailand 3 times this year, so i count as 3 tourists

i have a german friend who has like 6 arrivals and some filipinos get around 6 arrivals (by paying 200 baht so they look away on the 2 entry limit per year) 

thats how 3 people equal 15 tourists 

Far be it from me to ever defend TAT but I can justify the 15. Doesn't really matter if it's the same body multiple times.

The TAT number that I object to is the transient arrivals who get counted as tourists. And of course there are other non-tourist arrivals who get counted as tourists in order to inflate the tourist count.

TAT believes in "bull sh*t baffles brains".

23 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Exactly. I also wonder why the milestone visitor is always at Swampy. Why not someone crossing at say, Trat, Klong Yai, or Hat Lek......????

Good idea give it to someone on a visa run, i can see the headline now and they won 2 nights in the slammer, 2 bowls of rice, transport to swampy, and one way ticket to their homeland oh and a cuddly toy.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

How dare you!!!   My wife beater has a mutton madras stain on it.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:48 AM, johnmcc6 said:

Baloney! If 39 million tourists mixed with a total Thai population of just under 69 million people it would hard get around because of the crowds.

I hate to dispel you're theory, but I don't think they are all here at the same time......

21 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Do you think that most Thais know or even bother about tourism numbers?

What I can tell you is that most people who live in touristic places hates tourism unless they are personally benefitting in some way from it. 

That's as maybe. But they all surely benefit indirectly from improved infrastructure and the consumer economy from workers in the tourism industry for instance, and suffer from rampant over development.

Edited by Tofer

Basically there is no question whether the messages which are published here are true or not. This in most cases.

However, it would be interesting to know in what ratio thaivisa does not write the truth, or in what ratio other places pass on the untruth.

Every normal-thinking person must be aware that generally these messages or news here often for misleading and brainwashing purposes. It is the same as the Deutsche Bild Zeitung. Looks like a remote forced institution at all. However, have a nice blue eyes day and Dream your Dream in the "paradise"

Edited by snatur
written wrong