Seems to be a crackdown on Airbnb in BkK

Elkski

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

Another pugnacious, entitled farang who is trying to re-write the rules.

No wonder it's getting difficult at immigration.

American I'll be bound. Me me me.

Not rewriting the rules ... ENFORCING them ... AIR bNb rentals are ILLEGAL and against our condo rules too!  Why is this so hard for you to understand?  Oh wait.. Thai Visa ... never mind.

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Hey Bangkok Equity. Sounds like you need to live in a private home, not a building with shared facilities.  Like you said, if you can't afford the lifestyle, don't complain.  If you want a quiet pool and gym with nobody else, you chose the wrong place to live my friend. Can't have your cake and eat it too.  

The common facilities are paid for by you, but also by the owners of Airbnb rentals.  Nobody is getting a free ride. Except you, because you feel entitled to enjoy common areas without dealing with other people.  Doesn't matter if the person next door is an owner, a renter, or whatever. A cvnt is a cvnt and should be dealt with the same way. 

I really should just Copy / Paste this about 10 times.  Air BnB is ILLEGAL and against our condo rules!  Why is it so hard for you to grasp this???  Oh wait "Thai Visa"

4 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I really should just Copy / Paste this about 10 times.  Air BnB is ILLEGAL and against our condo rules!  Why is it so hard for you to grasp this???  Oh wait "Thai Visa"

9 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Not rewriting the rules ... ENFORCING them ... AIR bNb rentals are ILLEGAL and against our condo rules too!  Why is this so hard for you to understand?  Oh wait.. Thai Visa ... never mind.

You are blaming airbnb for your <deleted>ty condo juristic office, go after them for not doing their work. This is thailand after all, what did you expect? 

Airbnb isn't illegal, never was. You cannot stop someone from renting his condo out for 30 days, only less.

Short term letting under 30 days is illegal in a building that doesn't have a hotel license OR has more than 4 rooms/20 sleeps. Totally seperated from airbnb that is a thing since forever (or until the condo and hotel act came into effect), but it's up to your condo to enforce.

Why did u buy in a condo with such a horrible juristic office? ????

Edited by ThomasThBKK

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You are blaming airbnb for your <deleted>ty condo juristic office, go after them for not doing their work. This is thailand after all, what did you expect? 

Airbnb isn't illegal, never was. You cannot stop someone from renting his condo out for 30 days, only less.

Short term letting under 30 days is illegal in a building that doesn't have a hotel license OR has more than 4 rooms/20 sleeps. Totally seperated from airbnb that is a thing since forever (or until the condo and hotel act came into effect), but it's up to your condo to enforce.

Why did u buy in a condo with such a horrible juristic office? ????

OK, this is the end ... you have no idea how wonderful our condo is, clean, quite, secure and very few people use the pool or gym.  We have one of the best views in Bangkok.  What we are trying to do is KEEP IT THAT WAY.  I have had enough of this ... and accept half the blame for participating in mindless back and forth where no one ever changes their mind.  Now if you will excuse me, the pool is, as is the norm, completely empty .. and I am off to swim some laps! Good bye .. best wishes ... Wishing you a great 2020!

21 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

We have private pools, i don't like sharing.

But yeah u can hang around if you bring some gin ????

So you got lucky before that no one is around and you are the only unemployed one there, would you still complain if it was filled with retirees who long term own it and swim all day...?

Buying a condo and expecting to be the only one to use facilities is hilarious.

yeah some people are just selfish. they want privacy but don't want to pay for accommodation with private amenities

well suck it up sweeties the residents of the rooms be it for one night or one year has just as much right to use them as you have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

OK, this is the end ... you have no idea how wonderful our condo is, clean, quite, secure and very few people use the pool or gym.  We have one of the best views in Bangkok.  What we are trying to do is KEEP IT THAT WAY.  I have had enough of this ... and accept half the blame for participating in mindless back and forth where no one ever changes their mind.  Now if you will excuse me, the pool is, as is the norm, completely empty .. and I am off to swim some laps! Good bye .. best wishes ... Wishing you a great 2020!

Sounds like you bought a pig in the poke to me. Demographics change, buildings fill up (even with other owners) and get crowded compared to the 'good old days'.  As others have said, you have options: go to your juristic office, complain at yearly owners' meetings, hire additional security, etc. At the moment, you are the expat equivalent of King Canute. 

Have a good swim (while you can) and a good year.  I'll be back in Thailand in March, just booked a lovely condo on AirBnB (seriously)!  

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sounds like you bought a pig in the poke to me. Demographics change, buildings fill up (even with other owners) and get crowded compared to the 'good old days'.  As others have said, you have options: go to your juristic office, complain at yearly owners' meetings, hire additional security, etc. At the moment, you are the expat equivalent of King Canute. 

Have a good swim (while you can) and a good year.  I'll be back in Thailand in March, just booked a lovely condo on AirBnB (seriously)!  

You should book one in his condo, but let's do it for 30 days at least to be legal. Then i bring the gin bottles and we hang out in his pool all day ????

• Haha 1

It's tempting... any idea what condo he lives in?  I'll be sure to wear my banana hammock when I linger by the pool! 

Actually planning to stay in Cha Am though. Bangkok life doesn't appeal. Too many loud and nosy neighbors.

56 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

well suck it up sweeties the residents of the rooms be it for one night or one year has just as much right to use them as you have.

Not if their stay is illegal. AirBnBers don't want to pay the real rate for what they are getting. If large numbers of unknown people are staying with no real vetting then condos really need plain clothes security as a hotel would and have this reflected in the price.

Again: It is not your condo so it is not for you to say how things should be. How is it any concern of someone staying illegally? Where are AirBnBers getting this idea that we are obligated to share it with you because that would be nice. The sense of entitlement is astounding.

I reiterate: AirBnBers like AirBnB lets because they are living beyond their means at others expense - if they like having a fridge and whatnot why don't they rent a serviced apartment? - we know why, because something that reflects the real cost is beyond their means/more than they want to pay. They prefer the low cost that comes from breaking the law/regulatory arbitrage.

Edited by mokwit

I honestly don't get your point about airbnb people "living beyond their means".  They are paying the fair market rate for their accommodation, as determined by the economic conditions. Nobody is forcing condo owners to rent their units out. Generally, a 30 square meter condo rents for about 1000-1500 baht a night. Not too cheap IMHO. Yes you get a fridge and pool, but also there are few amenities compared to a hotel- no maid service, no minibar, no restaurant, no business center, no front desk staff or concierge.  Sounds like a fair deal t me. And more important a fair deal to the owner. 

I do Airbnb because I prefer to be left alone. I like to eat my own food in my own space, so having a small kitchen or dinette works for me. Nice to have a separate bedroom as well. You would probably never even know I was in your building.