"Drive slowly if drunk" - New Year Thai road sign stuns the Japanese

webfact

13 minutes ago, DLock said:

How else could you interpret it? That's exactly what it says.

Thailand is an intellectual wasteland of recent tree dwellers that cannot look at other countries that don't have 60 deaths per day and simply follow their lead. Their arrogance and loss of face will not allow it.

It's not that hard.

Perhaps you might think again about the intent in my post, it's not that hard.

I can verify that yes, Japan DOES take DUI very seriously.  If you are a public worker, teacher, university professor, a DUI conviction will result in your being fired from your job 100% of the time.  Even a lot of private sector companies follow the same policy. The legal penalties are a fine of up to $5000 USD and/or three years in jail. The limit is also 0.03%, not 0.08.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Better  still drive backwards,  cant get any slower  than that  surely

No sorry, then you be guilty as sign is very clear .

by the way if you not drunk and driving slowly , you would be breaking road rules which clear state drive slow when you drunk????

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I can verify that yes, Japan DOES take DUI very seriously.  If you are a public worker, teacher, university professor, a DUI conviction will result in your being fired from your job 100% of the time.  Even a lot of private sector companies follow the same policy. The legal penalties are a fine of up to $5000 USD and/or three years in jail. The limit is also 0.03%, not 0.08.  

I can verify also. One expat in my company when I was in Japan got caught DUI, just above the limit. The japanese staff demanded that he be sent home immediately, in fact he was processed very quickly by the system, fined very heavily and deported within 24 hours.  

• Like 2

In the UK it has always been illegal to ride a bicycle on the road whilst drunk, however this is a law which I have never heard of being enforced. I used to cycle home from parties at university in a very poor state, once I even crashed my bike cycling through a graveyard.

What is the law about riding a bicycle whilst intoxicated in Thailand? Or maybe an e-bike? I know many Thai people would rather poke themselves in the eye with a needle than ride a bicycle, but an electric bicycle might tempt them away from driving drunk. At least if they crash an e-bike it won't cause much damage.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Its a great idea, the crashes will be less severe, let's be honest, with little enforcement this is the best possible outcome. Time for those complaining to snap out of their colonial mindset. 

thats  right  i  mean  driving  head on  into  the  opposite  traffic  lane  when  doing 20kph slowly as  drunk  and  the  other  vehicle 90kph for sure would  mean everyone just walks away with a  minor  nick............u cant make up some of the replies here can you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You can not change destiny, if meant to die will die, so why fight to change something".  That's Thai mentality for you.

Well there is an element of truth in all that

• Like 1