"Drive slowly if drunk" - New Year Thai road sign stuns the Japanese

webfact

Every major public holiday brings on a new hard hitting campaign to limit the carnage but the death toll only ever goes up. I don’t know what the answer is, I just can’t see the national mentality ever changing. Hitting them very hard in the pocket might be a good place to start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

How many do you imagine came here for enhanced chances of dying horribly on the roads ,or do you consider  25,000 RTA  deaths and many more life changing injuries just 'slightly naughty '?

It's the insane speed that kills and maims.

Very few people die at 30Km/hr.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As a retired CHP officer, we posted signs on the CMS boards which read "See a Drunk driver Call 911", we were aggressive and reduced the mileage death rate, saving countless lives, which here is not looked at.  I asked my wife about this and she said "You can not change destiny, if meant to die will die, so why fight to change something".  That's Thai mentality for you.

And USA’s got nothing to brag about compared to most European countries

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As a retired CHP officer, we posted signs on the CMS boards which read "See a Drunk driver Call 911", we were aggressive and reduced the mileage death rate, saving countless lives, which here is not looked at.  I asked my wife about this and she said "You can not change destiny, if meant to die will die, so why fight to change something".  That's Thai mentality for you.

My gf said the same thing. So I asked her to drive on the wrong side of the road . And see if her destiny would save her. It still did not sink in! 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

No matter how hard you tried, you could not better that road sign, pathetic, who ever came up with that absolutely stupid idea needs sacked on the spot, T.I.T.

Actually it might have an affect, as media jump on this around the world and all have a good laugh at Thailand, it might change some minds somewhere!

Nah it won't change a thing, the officials have given up trying to stop Thais killing themselves on the road.

Now they just sit back, let them do what they want and just clean up the mess after!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So using that logic, if I was 50 kg overweight, and had medical issues and would die soon if not changed then why should I change the way I eat.  However, if I shed those extra kg's I would gain years on my life and have enjoyment because of that change.  Yes eventually I will die, but by changing your habits you can increase your life, and maybe save someone else.  So by stopping the drunk driver, or changing the behavior just might keep someone alive that would have died unnecessarily.  Basically, using the Thai logic, why change anything, you'll die eventually, why extend your life. SHEEESH

Although I agree with you, that is what Scrooge says to the Spirit of Christmas yet to Come 'deeds unchanged result in certain ends but if the deeds be change....' (just an example in keeping with the time of year, Ha!) but one doesn't have to be a Buddhist to believe 'if your time is up...'. I have friends in various parts of the world who think there is no such thing as 'free will' and they aren't talking about religion either. Some are scientists. I won't go into detail, you can check it out if you wish, but it has to do with the Second Law of Thermodynamics, Entropy. Some consider that the universe, entropy and life are inextricably connected. The movies of Final Destination series basically fit this idea (with a supernatural connection included). There are many critics to this hypothesis but as I say if you want to know more you can check the details.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The media claimed to have confronted officials in Nakorn Ratchasima about it only to be told that it was impossible to stop DUI - so they were just appealing for drunks to drive slowly at New Year. 

As you can justify in this way, you are too busy with your sleep, TV, phone or your second job that you allow yourself to do this!
You should all be fired in the trunk, slackers!

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

Just another one of those "only in Thailand" things.

Like trying to improve road safety by raising speed limits. Or mayonnaise on pizza.

You've got to wonder whether some Thai people in authority are actually sentient, or are just biological machines going about their day on reflexes and instincts alone, like insects.

That is a deadly slur on insects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Just another one of those "only in Thailand" things.

Like trying to improve road safety by raising speed limits. Or mayonnaise on pizza.

You've got to wonder whether some Thai people in authority are actually sentient, or are just biological machines going about their day on reflexes and instincts alone, like insects.

I was reading the Vientiane Times when we lived there eleven years ago, and an article said, "during this holiday season, the government advises that if you drink and drive, drive very slowly".