Cyprus court finds 'gang rape' Briton guilty of lying

snoop1130

Cyprus court finds 'gang rape' Briton guilty of lying

3246.PNG

Activists take part in a demonstration, after a British woman was found guilty of faking a rape claim, outside the Famagusta courthouse in Paralimni, Cyprus December 30, 2019. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

PARALIMNI, Cyprus (Reuters) - A Cyprus court on Monday found a British woman guilty of lying about being gang-raped by Israeli youths six months ago.

In a case closely followed by rights groups, a district court in the town of Paralimni ruled that the woman, aged 19 at the time, had lied about being sexually abused by 12 Israeli teenagers. Sentencing was set for Jan. 7.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested after police said she had withdrawn an accusation that the teenagers had raped her in a hotel room at the holiday resort of Ayia Napa in July.

She was convicted of public mischief, which carries a fine, a jail term of up to one year, or both.

The woman maintained that she had recanted her accusation under duress from police during persistent questioning without a lawyer present. Prosecutors and the court dismissed that claim.

“My conclusion is that the guilt of the accused has been proven beyond reasonable doubt,” the presiding judge said in his verdict, describing her claims as inconsistent and adding that she had attempted to mislead the court.

Her lawyers said she would appeal. Nonetheless, they urged the court to exercise leniency in sentencing, including the possibility of suspending any jail term.

“We believe there have been many violations in the procedure and the rights of fair trial of our client have been violated,” said her lawyer, Nicoletta Charalambidou.

The Israelis were released without charge 10 days after being arrested, on the day the woman retracted her accusation.

The individuals she had accused were not summoned to court because prosecutors considered the case one of public mischief, not rape.

In testimony in open court, the defendant said she had been in a hotel room with one of the Israeli youths, with whom she had a relationship, before others appeared and she was pinned down.

One defence witness, Marios Matsakis, a forensic pathologist who formerly worked for the state, said the woman’s injuries were consistent with rape. Prosecutors said she had fabricated the allegation, angry at being filmed during sex.

“This victim was never protected, from the first instance,” said Zelia Gregoriou, an activist who stood with about 20 individuals protesting against the verdict. “From the first instance, she was raped again and again by the press, by society and the legal system.”

The woman left the courthouse with a blanket over her face and a handkerchief around her mouth, imprinted with an image of female lips sewn shut.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-30

It seems that the Cypriot Judiciary haven’t heard that every woman must be believed, regardless of the facts. The Girl made a very stupid mistake by putting herself in that situation, the men deserve condemnation for their actions but it seems they did not break any laws. Had she continued with her claims the men could have been sitting in jail for the next few years with their futures totally wrecked. Suspended sentence in this instance seems appropriate, nobody wins.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Where have you ever heard of a young woman willingly let a whole bunch of young men have a line up on her?

And how would you have known she was willing or not?

I'm not asking you for a source or evidence just some details.

I saw it happen one time in a bedroom at a party in London and myself and two pals saw it and stopped it. We knew the girl. She'd been terrified and later said she pretended to go along with it so they wouldn't hurt her.

Soon after that she was so messed up that she left the UK in shame for Australia where she committed suicide. She never got over it.

Is that 'sheltered' enough for you.

What you described sounds like rape.

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Where have you ever heard of a young woman willingly let a whole bunch of young men have a line up on her?

I'm not asking you for a source or evidence just some details.

I saw it happen one time in a bedroom at a party in London and myself and two pals saw it and stopped it. We knew the girl. She'd been terrified and later said she pretended to go along with it so they wouldn't hurt her.

Soon after that she was so messed up that she left the UK in shame for Australia where she committed suicide. She never got over it.

Is that 'sheltered' enough for you.

One example that you know of doesn't prove your case. Just because it's unusual doesn't mean that such women don't exist.

Some people will do almost anything sexually, but perhaps you've never seen fetish sex in a book or on screen.

Back at you- how would you know if she wasn't willing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

What you described sounds like rape.

Unless they say no, or at least indicate that they are not willing, how could it be rape?

One poster mentioned a VDO. If she looks as though she participated willingly, that's it in my book.

Too many men have had lives ruined by women that participated willingly in sex and had second thoughts about it the next day for me to believe without proof.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Obviously you have led a very, very sheltered life.

Gang bangs are not uncommon, some females seek them out. Participated in two myself. great night for all concerned and absolutely free!

All I can say is that you weren't first and you stuck your "willy" in some other guys "fluid" you are one sorry dude. If you were last in line then all the more gross. Apparently finding a gal of your own for the night was a little too much work huh?

As for "free" is penicillin free where you live?

• Haha 1

Excerpts from an israeli newspaper:

He stated that the British was an "untrustworthy witness", stating that she would lie in revenge, after being filmed having sex with a man she met at her hotel. "She knows she's never been raped," the judge said. After a trial that lasted about four months, she was convicted of one charge of disturbing the public order. "She did not leave a good impression on the court. She lied and tried to mislead us. She avoided giving answers and was unclear about what happened and I reject her version," the judge ruled...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Perhaps she was too scared not to willingly participate in case things turned violent.

There was not much one young woman could do against a bunch of sexually aroused men young men especially if booze was involved.

I've never heard of a girl willingly letting a bunch of men have a line up on her unless payment has been involved. 

Oh the Carlton football team could name a couple from years back, no money involved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

All I can say is that you weren't first and you stuck your "willy" in some other guys "fluid" you are one sorry dude. If you were last in line then all the more gross. Apparently finding a gal of your own for the night was a little too much work huh?

As for "free" is penicillin free where you live?

Never heard of condoms?

What ever happened. the woman will live with the results of this for the rest of her life.

if falsley accused the men concerned, then at least they did not have to face trial, if she was coercered into retracting the accusation, then a miscarriage of justice.

No winners either way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

What ever happened. the woman will live with the results of this for the rest of her life.

if falsley accused the men concerned, then at least they did not have to face trial, if she was coercered into retracting the accusation, then a miscarriage of justice.

No winners either way

Perhaps not.

Her lawyers will appeal, her conviction was based on a retraction she signed during interrogation by police to which she was denied access to a lawyer.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never heard of condoms?

Doesn't matter. They fail. Also, who in their right mind would want to "go in" right after another guy. Nasty!

If you can't find a good woman and have to resort to such activity then it says a lot about your character and cleanliness.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HuskerDo said:

Doesn't matter. They fail. Also, who in their right mind would want to "go in" right after another guy. Nasty!

If you can't find a good woman and have to resort to such activity then it says a lot about your character and cleanliness.

I never had one fail. Most men in western countries go in after another guy. Perhaps you think they are all virgins on their wedding night, LOL.

I tried a "good woman", she was boring in bed, exploited me every day of our relationship and took me for everything she could when i left her. Keep your "good" women, I prefer hookers who are at least honest about sex and go away when I don't want them any more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never had one fail. Most men in western countries go in after another guy. Perhaps you think they are all virgins on their wedding night, LOL.

I tried a "good woman", she was boring in bed, exploited me every day of our relationship and took me for everything she could when i left her. Keep your "good" women, I prefer hookers who are at least honest about sex and go away when I don't want them any more.

So sad. You allowed one ugly situation with a woman dictate your relationships the rest of your life. When you say she took you for "everything" I'd say indeed she did. 

"I never had one fail".... as far as you know. Been tested recently?

"Most men in western countries go in after another guy"..... that is soooo not true.

Edited by HuskerDo

7 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"I never had one fail".... as far as you know. Been tested recently?

"Most men in western countries go in after another guy"..... that is soooo not true.

If I haven't had some disease show up by now it's not going to. Condoms fail because some guys don't know how to use them properly.

In your dreams. Western women sleep around as much as guys now.

End of this discussion as it's completely off topic.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1