3x TR visa Per year still legit ?

HI.

My plan was to stay 3 month ON and 1 month OFF for the whole year. . Is it still manageable ?

I will do my 3x TR visa applications in my home Country.

So i will return home 3 times every year one month each then return.

Any one see any problem in this setup ? .

Happy New Year btw! ???? 

40 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

It looks like a good plan to me. Three holidays per year all of which you plan to take in Thailand. There is unlikely to be an ulterior motive which would contravene the Immigration Act in doing that. 

Also i have proof of income abroad to support myself so they cant say im here for work illegal or what ever . . . 

Since your visas will be issued in your home country I can see no reason for you to have a problem.

There is no written limit on how many times you can enter the country using a tourist visa.

Most people that have problems are getting back to back tourist visas from embassies and consulate within the region.

So that's 9 months per year. Yes you will obtain the setv,s in home country no problem. The issue will/could be at the airports entering los. 

Many people having trouble with less than 9 months total stay. The big plus is your staying month out between visits. Perhaps the 3rd entry you could think about a border entry. Arrive KL. Something like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Since your visas will be issued in your home country I can see no reason for you to have a problem.

There is no written limit on how many times you can enter the country using a tourist visa.

Most people that have problems are getting back to back tourist visas from embassies and consulate within the region.

Would a month in between TV's still be considered "back to back"?

9 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Would a month in between TV's still be considered "back to back"?

Back to back would be going to a nearby country to get a new tourist visa within a couple of days of leaving.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I thought there is a 180 days limit in a year for 'tourist'. Is there an official website that confirms or refutes that there is no limit to the number of days in a year.

If not, nobody would want to apply for retirement or marriage visa if it is so easy to stay long-term in Thailand. 

Having a tourist visa approved doesn't mean they will let one in at the airport as reported many times in this forum.

Edited by EricTh

18 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I thought there is a 180 days limit in a year for 'tourist'. Is there an official website that confirms or refutes that there is no limit to the number of days in a year.

There is no such limit. It is only a imaginary limit some immigration officers use when a person is trying to enter the country.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If not, nobody would want to apply for retirement or marriage visa if it is so easy to stay long-term in Thailand. 

Having a tourist visa approved doesn't mean they will let one in at the airport as reported many times in this forum.

I think the OP will be OK with his plan for one year. He might get questioned on the 3rd entry. I would say it is a good enough plan to not worry about losing money on the risk of being denied. Even though it is not back-to-back I think in the second year it would become "too many" and "you are spending more time in Thailand than your home country"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I think the OP will be OK with his plan for one year. He might get questioned on the 3rd entry. I would say it is a good enough plan to not worry about losing money on the risk of being denied. Even though it is not back-to-back I think in the second year it would become "too many" and "you are spending more time in Thailand than your home country"

We don't need to go back-to-back. 

Spending a few weeks in a neighbouring country such as Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines are entirely doable.

So this is another loophole but I do think there is an official limit because so far nobody has pointed me to an official website yet.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Spending a few weeks in a neighbouring country such as Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines are entirely doable.

So this is another loophole but I do think there is an official limit because so far nobody has pointed me to an official website yet.

Don't think he would be able to obtain the third setv in nearby consulates. He will in home country. 

OP,  what's your recent history of time spent in Thailand?

If it's minimal, then you should have no problems. If it's not,  then I would avoid entering at the bangkok airports.

I've spent the last 2 years doing what you're planning to do ie 3 months in Thailand, then 1-2 months back in my home country. The last time I entered I decided to err on the side of caution,  and spent a few days in the region before entering at Laos.

I've never has an issue. 

• Like 2

Nobody can say for sure whether you will be OK.

The first question is whether the embassy in your home country will issue frequent tourist visas. Some will and some will not. As we do not know your nationality, there is no way anyone can advise you on that.

The next issue is whether Immigration, on entry, will deny entry. The "180-day rule" that is often cited is not an official regulation, but it is (improperly) applied by some officials at some entry points. Personally, although a hassle and involving extra cost, I would avoid flying in to either Bangkok airport when implementing a plan like the one you propose. Fly directly to Chiang Mai from outside Thailand, or even fly somewhere like Kuala Lumpur or Vientiane and enter by land.

• Like 2

Dad does 3×60 days in Thailand, and has being doing it for years, initially on two entry TrVs, then on a O something? Once when they got his two entry TV application and they had changed the rules. Then non-O ME based on Pension until the end of Sept 2019. He has now had to fall back on to Single entry TrVs, as they dont do the non-O ME anymore in home country. We just have to watch now to book flights for <60 days. So the pattern is Ok.

Over 180 days, per calendar year technically become tax resident, have to plan how you take last years savings over for the current year expenses.

I think the advantage of 3 x <90 days plan is the availability of good travel insurance, ( an if your UK, you can ensure you remain tax resident there and avoid other potential complications). The does not appear to be any local medical cover policies available here unless you are full timer, i.e. at any given moment you have been here more than 180 Days.

Remember your IDP renewal scheduled for the middle of one of your months home!

If you don't have relationship issues in Thailand 1 month home, 1 month elsewhere in region, and <60 days in Thailand per four month cycle could be less stressful. Though I find it a pitty that BKK is considered not to be a reliable hub.

I've never had any issues with immigration at all so far (since 1993), and hope that will continue. It's only the MFAs Embassy not issuing another non-O ME in home country which has put a chocolate spanner in my plan so far.

Good luck with your plan.

Edited by UKresonant

OP, you have hardly contributed to YOUR thread. Where you fly in from and country of passport etc is important info. 

Just one example....I suggested your third entry would be best to somewhere like KL. Reason being if denied entry you would fly back to KL with valid setv and simply enter via border. 

Etc etc. Clearly it's not all that important.

3 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Dad does 3×60 days in Thailand, and has being doing it for years, initially on two entry TrVs, then on a O something? Once when they got his two entry TV application and they had changed the rules. Then non-O ME based on Pension until the end of Sept 2019. He has now had to fall back on to Single entry TrVs, as they dont do the non-O ME anymore in home country. We just have to watch now to book flights for <60 days. So the pattern is Ok.

Over 180 days, per calendar year technically become tax resident, have to plan how you take last years savings over for the current year expenses.

I think the advantage of 3 x <90 days plan is the availability of good travel insurance, ( an if your UK, you can ensure you remain tax resident there and avoid other potential complications). The does not appear to be any local medical cover policies available here unless you are full timer, i.e. at any given moment you have been here more than 180 Days.

So what's your suggestion for someone that wants  3 times 90 day stays in los.

Slightly different than 3 X 60days.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So what's your suggestion for someone that wants  3 times 90 day stays in los.

Slightly different than 3 X 60days.

Perhaps it depends on who will be on duty at the arrival immigration desk, should be OK for his initial and second 4 month cycles. Then stay tuned for the situation at month 9, as the goal posts may have skided again ????. Your indirect flight route could be a good idea, and could be via a plan B country. (See edit, I'm just a bit slow, tipo-ing on this old phone)

Happy new year!

1 minute ago, UKresonant said:

Perhaps it depends on who will be on duty at the arrival immigration desk, should be OK for his initial and second 4 month cycles. Then stay tuned for the situation at month 9, as the goal posts may have skided again ????. Your indirect flight route could be a good idea, and could be via a plan B country. (See edit, I'm just a bit slow, tipo-ing on this old phone)

Happy new year!

Happy NY you also.

I guess we all put ourselves into OP situation in most threads. For me there is no way I would fly into Bangkok airports with 3rd setv within 12 months. 

That's why OP has not done much to detail his thread. If home country Singapore no problem. Denied entry somewhere like DM not serious issue.

If flying from Miami then catastrophic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Input . .

Im from Sweden. So getting SETV aint an issue here. . .
I usually fly GOT-HEL-BKK
Yes smart move to do the 3rd SETV entry from a land boarder from Malaysia..
My Visa history have been from 2004 from 2008 to 2013 i did back to back METV , then i was on ED for 1yr . .
Then i was of 1yr i Colombia and from 2016 i done 6month in the country and 6month in Sweden until 2018 and all 2019 i was in Europe  . .
I never had any issue with immigration in BKK or any land boarders never overstayed etc., also i have proof of income from abroad. . . . . .

Maybe better to do 3 month in TH and 2 month in Sweden then repeat . . . less drama might be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oMega69 said:

My Visa history have been from 2004 from 2008 to 2013 i did back to back METV , then i was on ED for 1yr . .
I never had any issue with immigration in BKK or any land boarders never overstayed etc., also i have proof of income from abroad. . . . . .

Maybe better to do 3 month in TH and 2 month in Sweden then repeat . . . less drama might be.

Hi, I presume you are under 50 years of age, otherwise application for a Non Imm O - retirement and yearly extensions of that, would be much less hassle than having to fly back-forth to Sweden.

Also presume that you are not married to a thai national, as that would allow you to apply for a Non Imm O - marriage and yearly extensions of that.

In your history you mention back-to-back METVs.  Obviously it would be simpler to start your plan with an METV, which - when timed right - would already provide you almost 9 months in Thailand, but maybe you do not meet the requirements for such a Visa.

As mentioned by other posters, when entering on SETVs the first 2 entries would for sure not be any problem at any entry point, but after that it would be wise to consider the possibility of being denied entry (especially at the two Bangkok airports), and use alternative inward-roads.

Success!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 10:58 AM, EricTh said:

Look up "burden of proof" and "proving a negative".

• Like 1

I'm far from an expert on this but I'll give you my take on it - based on observation/personal experience. Yes, you may be issued with a visa without a problem but a visa does not guarantee entry. It seems that anyone who enters the country regularly and/or for protracted periods, is at risk of being denied.

As a regular visitor, I've been warned, told to get the correct visa and worried when the I.O. spends a long time counting my entry stamps when I arrive but never denied (yet).

Some people seem to be able to enter countless times without question - others are denied after just a few entries. Some, are told they can only stay a maximum of 180 days per year - some stay far longer without question.  It can be as simple as which queue you join - one I.O. may deny you, another hardly check your passport. In reality, there is no 180 day limit but some I.O.'s use it as a guideline.

What I've been told several times - although again, it depends on which I.O. is at the booth when you enter, is that they are looking for people who enter often and stay longer than is considered 'tourism'. On 2 or 3 occasions I've been told that I'm OK because although I enter regularly, I only stay 2 weeks and I'm out of the country for around 8 weeks between trips.

I think the long and short of it is as I said in the first paragraph - those who enter often and stay for a long time are at the highest risk but that is not 'tablets of stone' and cannot be relied upon.

I would say this though - and this is based purely on my personal experience, the I.O.s that have spent the longest time counting my entry stamps have, without execption, been female. I therefore do my best to avoid queues where a female I.O. is in the booth.

Having said all that, given that Thailand is a country that people often return to on a regular basis, going on the amount of reported denials, it appears that far more 'regular visitors' are allowed in than denied.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 5:06 AM, KhaoYai said:

I'm far from an expert on this but I'll give you my take on it - based on observation/personal experience. Yes, you may be issued with a visa without a problem but a visa does not guarantee entry. It seems that anyone who enters the country regularly and/or for protracted periods, is at risk of being denied.

As a regular visitor, I've been warned, told to get the correct visa and worried when the I.O. spends a long time counting my entry stamps when I arrive but never denied (yet).

Some people seem to be able to enter countless times without question - others are denied after just a few entries. Some, are told they can only stay a maximum of 180 days per year - some stay far longer without question.  It can be as simple as which queue you join - one I.O. may deny you, another hardly check your passport. In reality, there is no 180 day limit but some I.O.'s use it as a guideline.

What I've been told several times - although again, it depends on which I.O. is at the booth when you enter, is that they are looking for people who enter often and stay longer than is considered 'tourism'. On 2 or 3 occasions I've been told that I'm OK because although I enter regularly, I only stay 2 weeks and I'm out of the country for around 8 weeks between trips.

I think the long and short of it is as I said in the first paragraph - those who enter often and stay for a long time are at the highest risk but that is not 'tablets of stone' and cannot be relied upon.

I would say this though - and this is based purely on my personal experience, the I.O.s that have spent the longest time counting my entry stamps have, without execption, been female. I therefore do my best to avoid queues where a female I.O. is in the booth.

Having said all that, given that Thailand is a country that people often return to on a regular basis, going on the amount of reported denials, it appears that far more 'regular visitors' are allowed in than denied.

Well written . . .

Not sure what setup i will choice but might consider 6 month on and 6 month off . the bad part of that that a need a new condo each trip my goal was to keep a condo year around.
To bad might be issues íf doing 3x TR in 1yr.
The ED setup will be a bit costly.

Edited by oMega69

On 1/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, Peter Denis said:

Hi, I presume you are under 50 years of age, otherwise application for a Non Imm O - retirement and yearly extensions of that, would be much less hassle than having to fly back-forth to Sweden.

Also presume that you are not married to a thai national, as that would allow you to apply for a Non Imm O - marriage and yearly extensions of that.

In your history you mention back-to-back METVs.  Obviously it would be simpler to start your plan with an METV, which - when timed right - would already provide you almost 9 months in Thailand, but maybe you do not meet the requirements for such a Visa.

As mentioned by other posters, when entering on SETVs the first 2 entries would for sure not be any problem at any entry point, but after that it would be wise to consider the possibility of being denied entry (especially at the two Bangkok airports), and use alternative inward-roads.

Success!

METV would do the trick..... But.. i have my national registration address registered in Thailand for tax reasons.,
Not sure Embassy in Stockholm would accept me an METV as i having my home address in THAI..,
Still have Swedish passport but have been living abroad since 1999.