Why are more & more expats leaving Thailand?

RyanWalker

19 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

I worked for 8 years online in Thailand and I have always had a TV. So if theyballow me to do it then thanks????

Was that a business / employment visa?

Did you pay income tax in Thailand?

So If the OP's profile birth-date is accurate, then he is 34 years old. That explains a lot.

If I were 34 years old now I might move to China as well. Thing is when I was 34 years old or so I did spend a lot of time in China but that was about 30 years ago.

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You've conflated the point I was making in my first paragraph with the point I was making in the second paragraph.

In the first paragraph I questioned why someone would exit Thailand because of financial reasons when the cost of living is invariably higher back home and in most other countries.

In the second paragraph I enumerated non-financial motives people might have for leaving Thailand. I never said people who leave Thailand for other-than-financial motives couldn't afford the cost of living back home.

Also your abridging and editing of my post did a hatchet job on its readability which was not appreciated.

Sorry about the abridging sir.... your post was well written and is still available in its entirety on page 24.  Seems many feel the reasons to leave are outnumbering the reasons to stay.  You did enumerate many factors concerning these decisions and I thank you for that.  Peace

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Nice cold 7 degrees weather here in a UK winter .

I was just telling my neighbours today about how horrendous the heat was in Thailand and how unpleasant it was going out between 11 am and 3 PM because the heat was too hot and having to spend that time chilling out in air-con shopping centres to avoid the heat and pollution 

Well, you've just done your neighbours and Thailand a great disservice.

I would suggest it was your personal circumstances which created your negative view of a day in Thailand.

I don't go near an a/c on an average day, and the air in my area is as pure as the driven snow, that was before they discovered rubber and plastic particles in the snow!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Howdy Gecko,

I didn't want quote your entire response but my point being it has grown very old of reading all these folks posts that come on here and complain at the top of their lungs about all that's bad here. Does that some how make them feel better? Is it really that bad? I think not. I have found that the westerners I have met and known that left, moved here with little to no plan. However as time has gone on they go on and on to complain about how terrible this place is. How the immigration is a farce, how Thais hate them, how people are mean etc. Do these posters ever step back and look in the mirror and wonder if its them? 

I respect that this just didn't work out for them. Such as life. Forums usually attract an audience that typically wants to complain, its the nature of the beast. As you and I have seen when someone posts how their life is going well, they live comfortably, have no immigration issues etc the thread dies quickly or they get negative responses about being smug or braggarts. Is it because some adapted and had a plan and they didn't?

Moving abroad takes careful consideration for all the concerns you noted in your post. I still suspect that many posters moved here on a whim or something close to it and while maybe their first 5 to 10 years were Ok, times are changing and like anywhere one must adapt. If not then those same people will be come their own worst enemy and their constant complaining will become cancerous and all consuming like it appears to have happened to many.

So as I stated earlier, Expats will come and go, they do in every country. I respect and understand that but just get on with it. Don't complain looking for some sort of validation that its the same for everyone as its not. ????

Cheers and Happy New Year

Thank you Jafo, well said.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Howdy Gecko,

I didn't want quote your entire response but my point being it has grown very old of reading all these folks posts that come on here and complain at the top of their lungs about all that's bad here. Does that some how make them feel better? Is it really that bad? I think not. I have found that the westerners I have met and known that left, moved here with little to no plan. However as time has gone on they go on and on to complain about how terrible this place is. How the immigration is a farce, how Thais hate them, how people are mean etc. Do these posters ever step back and look in the mirror and wonder if its them? 

I respect that this just didn't work out for them. Such as life. Forums usually attract an audience that typically wants to complain, its the nature of the beast. As you and I have seen when someone posts how their life is going well, they live comfortably, have no immigration issues etc the thread dies quickly or they get negative responses about being smug or braggarts. Is it because some adapted and had a plan and they didn't?

Moving abroad takes careful consideration for all the concerns you noted in your post. I still suspect that many posters moved here on a whim or something close to it and while maybe their first 5 to 10 years were Ok, times are changing and like anywhere one must adapt. If not then those same people will be come their own worst enemy and their constant complaining will become cancerous and all consuming like it appears to have happened to many.

So as I stated earlier, Expats will come and go, they do in every country. I respect and understand that but just get on with it. Don't complain looking for some sort of validation that its the same for everyone as its not. ????

Cheers and Happy New Year

Just thought the members should read your post again, and amen to that hopefully.....????

Happy New Year.

16 minutes ago, Tofer said:

// I don't go near an a/c on an average day,

and the air in my area is as pure as the driven snow //

Which area ?

This year in Pattaya it's difficult to avoid aircon

as temperature climbs over 35°C every day !

Edit: Certainly not a reason to leave though. So a bit out of subject... 

Edited by Pattaya46

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Which area ?

Koh Lanta, Krabi. Clean air and pleasant ocean breeze.

As I said, it's personal circumstances, but not nationwide. Sanemax referred to "Thailand", i.e. the whole country.

Find a pleasant breezy terrace in the shade, with a cool drink, and turn on a fan if necessary, I'm sure that's possible even in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Ever since TV came about in 2003, there is the inevitable thread about this or that making it hard to live here.

So changes happen. The country has become more expensive, visas harder to get. It’s one of the things that happens when a country develops. 

Thailand isn’t for everyone and even if you’ve liked it a long time you can get sick of it. By definition here I think most of us are explorers and new adventures will eventually lure most of us away. 

Having said that, there is no doubt thailand is ensuring that it isn’t left with the bill of taking care of elderly foreigners who don’t have the means to take care of themselves. Harsh, but not an unreasonable thing at the end of the day. 

Do I think that people will stop coming? No way. I think what we are already seeing is a younger and more skilled set of foreigners moving here, starting businesses and having a crack. 

Those who are retiring will have more disposable income to use. 

All that is happening is a change in demographics. 

i can imagine that in 2043, Thaivisa will still be around in some way shape or form, and there will be some old fart - probably me - complaining about the fact that things aren’t the same, and I’ll p!ss off somewhere else is a huff. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, Salerno said:

I just want to know where you get 50 or even 30 friends from ????‍♂️

Other than FaceBook and other <deleted>.

Try joining a gym where they have daily classes.....You will make friends in no time but sounds like you just stay in your room all day. If you have trouble making 30 friends here in a year you are doing something wrong or very anti social!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Which area ?

Edit: Certainly not a reason to leave though. So a bit out of subject... 

Have you heard about fans? No need for air-conditioning during the day this time of the year. And it's not only the temperature that makes it feel hot, it's humidity. Now it's 50% humidity in Jomtien and that's dry. Wait until June-August when were talking about 70-80% daytime.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

And it's not only the temperature that makes it feel hot, it's humidity. Now it's 50% humidity in Jomtien and that's dry. Wait until June-August when were talking about 70-80% daytime.

Now it's 65% humidity at Pattaya, and was 95% (!) at 3AM...

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Weather-Station.html

16 minutes ago, samran said:

Ever since TV came about in 2003, there is the inevitable thread about this or that making it hard to live here.

So changes happen. The country has become more expensive, visas harder to get. It’s one of the things that happens when a country develops. 

Thailand isn’t for everyone and even if you’ve liked it a long time you can get sick of it. By definition here I think most of us are explorers and new adventures will eventually lure most of us away. 

Having said that, there is no doubt thailand is ensuring that it isn’t left with the bill of taking care of elderly foreigners who don’t have the means to take care of themselves. Harsh, but not an unreasonable thing at the end of the day. 

Do I think that people will stop coming? No way. I think what we are already seeing is a younger and more skilled set of foreigners moving here, starting businesses and having a crack. 

Those who are retiring will have more disposable income to use. 

All that is happening is a change in demographics. 

i can imagine that in 2043, Thaivisa will still be around in some way shape or form, and there will be some old fart - probably me - complaining about the fact that things aren’t the same, and I’ll p!ss off somewhere else is a huff. 

"visas harder to get." 

Which visas are harder to get? Are you thinking about financial requirements? 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, allenberg said:

but many of the changes like requiring health insurance, check points for license and helmets, littering at beaches, just to name a few are good progress.

Obviously you don't like to pay attention the implementation details, which turn "good progress" into scams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"visas harder to get." 

Which visas are harder to get? Are you thinking about financial requirements? 

That, and that border bounces are harder if not impossible. Plenty of people used to do that.

On the other side of the coin, the elite visa, S-curve visa are now available. The BOI is a somewhat godsend for many, and PR and citizenship have never been easier to get. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I disagree, I think that Thailand has had its day and visitors to Thailand will decrease in rel life, although the TAT numbers will continue to increase by record numbers every year

I actually don’t think that will be a bad thing - it will force the industry to consolidate and frankly, Thailand could do well in diversifying its GDP some more. I don’t dis believe the TAT numbers, but it’s clear they have a more is better target and that needs to change. 

10 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Personally I don't care for the general negative attitude Thais have for foreigners. There are far more good hearted genuine and honest foreigners in Thailand than bad ones. The government does nothing but make a public display of catching the bad ones and patting itself on the back. This is all the general public sees about us. What's even worse is the laws are not enforced to protect us and they continuously make things more difficult for us to stay here by tracking our every move. Dual pricing, racism, signage reading "Thais only", senior discounts for Thais only, the list goes on and on. We bring in great deal of money into this country and spending into the local economy. Our individual governments giving monetary foreign aid packages to Thailand that we pay taxes for to support. All we ask for is to live here in peace, be treated with dignity and respect and be treated fairly by all Thai citizens. Speaking frankly, we don't need Thailand, Thailand needs us. Many have left Thailand and many more are choosing not to come here in the first place. There are too many more welcoming options for us. 

This post is the sad reality..

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Tofer said:

Well, you've just done your neighbours and Thailand a great disservice.

I would suggest it was your personal circumstances which created your negative view of a day in Thailand.

Just stating that I prefer the UK weather moreso than Thai weather .

• Like 2

You can just take a holiday and check in in a hotel before the last day before that. The problem is solved!

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Landowners pointing to their tenants and tenants pointing to their landowners for to get the TM30 done.

Very annoying situation to get mixed up in and in the end expats are fed up !!

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, SkyFax said:

So If the OP's profile birth-date is accurate, then he is 34 years old. That explains a lot.

If I were 34 years old now I might move to China as well. Thing is when I was 34 years old or so I did spend a lot of time in China but that was about 30 years ago.

I think he's just another loser, and a dishonest person.

One of his comments said his ex-girlfriend is a doctor at Bumrungrad hospital another one said he´s worked online (TV) for 8 years without paying any income tax. And he just used his ex-girlfriends for his own advantage (wonder if he was man enough to help those ex-girlfriends for his own living). No wonder if they kicked him out as soon as they realized what kind of guy he really is.

Then it does't take a long time for him to get married with a Chinese girl (probably for a visa (?)). I really feel sorry for her but hoping he treats her better than he did with his ex, Thai girlfriends, not only just taking advantages of her though.

Seems like he can't make easy money in China like he did in Thailand and then tries to discredit The country for not letting him live here easily. What a loser!

Edited by Bjrda77
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Correct. Thailand was good to me 10 years ago but for now can not make money in Thailand as an expat unless you are set up somehow. In China making 5 times more already within a couple of months.

• Like 1