Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Pick yourself a mooban that has regularly swept soi's.... sneak in at night and dump it there..... next morning it will be cleaned up !!

Or on the Beach at Pattay Right ? ... Well Maybe ? Har Har ....

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I just throw mine over the front gate into the mooban soi and someone comes round every morning and sweeps it up.

The local dogs will eat food scraps (so dump it is a local street somewhere, not your steet lol). My veg scraps are thrown into a vege patch out the back of our kitchen. 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

And by not refusing them makes you the same as the assistant. 

With regard to 7/11 and the like, it has become an automatic response to take a plastic bag.  They are doing it unconsciously.  They probably dream of reaching for a plastic bag.  I've often arrived at the counter in 7/11 and the assistant is reaching for a plastic bag even before they know what I'm purchasing.  The 'auto pilot' mode needs to be broken.

It only needs to be broken if you buy into the phoney-baloney moral panic. There are better solutions if people approach the problem rationally.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The local dogs will eat food scraps (so dump it is a local street somewhere, not your steet lol). My veg scraps are thrown into a vege patch out the back of our kitchen. 

The missus uses my vege scraps and tosses em in the wok with some grass clippings and a few tree leaves from the garden.... bit of MSG, fish sauce and what ever rancid meat she purchased from the wet market and calls it lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Pick yourself a mooban that has regularly swept soi's.... sneak in at night and dump it there..... next morning it will be cleaned up !!

Har Har ... Yes Picked up ... taken away ... allegedly to a land Fill, (bad Enough but where else can you put it ?) ... or just surreptitiously dumped some where else !!!

.... Do you remember when the rouge Builders were dumping asbestos waist in the streets of the Upper side of Sydney !!! Har har !!! ... One dumped some right out side a school I think !!! ... Which Really set the Alarm bells, and Political Flappers going !!! ... I saw a Video of one dong it once, and they hardly even slow down ... They just get on a straight section, slowed just a bit, ....  and Pull on the Hoist .... and vroooom Crasssh, Crash Crashhh .... and out the back all of it goes .... and it is left spread all down the street !!!

6 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

But, what I wonder, is the products becoming cheaper now?

In the end they save a lot of money on not purchasing plastic bags anymore.

It's even worse, at Homepro I have to pay 1 bath when I buy small stuff and ask for a bag.

I am all for paying for bags, or taxing them, or whatever.  They were never "free" in the first place, just folded into the cost of doing business.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark mark said:

Har Har ... Yes Picked up ... taken away ... allegedly to a land Fill, (bad Enough but where else can you put it ?) ... or just surreptitiously dumped some where else !!!

.... Do you remember when the rouge Builders were dumping asbestos waist in the streets of the Upper side of Sydney !!! Har har !!! ... One dumped some right out side a school I think !!! ... Which Really set the Alarm bells, and Political Flappers going !!! ... I saw a Video of one dong it once, and they hardly even slow down ... They just get on a straight section, slowed just a bit, ....  and Pull on the Hoist .... and vroooom Crasssh, Crash Crashhh .... and out the back all of it goes .... and it is left spread all down the street !!!

Only time waste and garbage concerns me is when it is sitting in the bin in the kitchen..... once it leaves the premises..... meh.

I was just at another Seven Eleven just finished shopping and they’re giving out plastic bags like business as usual. They haven’t banned anything it’s just an exaggeration but I do know of one grocery store in the mall that doesn’t do plastic bags anymore aside from that there’s no ban. Although do we really need plastic bags for our groceries? Not really that’s actually a good idea but it’s obviously not being enforced at all not even a little bit lol. 

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Only time waste and garbage concerns me is when it is sitting in the bin in the kitchen..... once it leaves the premises..... meh.

Yearrr That is pretty good, Old world, Thai thinking there .... Like just toss it out of the window right ? ... Like before Over Population became a problem, ... now there probably will be a person Living, or just sitting out side the Window !!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, rexall said:

I am all for paying for bags, or taxing them, or whatever.  They were never "free" in the first place, just folded into the cost of doing business.

Of course it is true what you say but now they don't have to buy bags anymore so, they save money now.

1 minute ago, Mark mark said:

Yearrr That is pretty good, Old world, Thai thinking there .... Like just toss it out of the window right ? ... Like before Over Population became a problem, ... now there probably will be a person Living, or just sitting out side the Window !!!

Actually now that you mention tossing it out the window.... from my home office I reckon I could maybe clear the fence and land it in the soi..... will give it a try later once it cools down and I can turn off the aircon and open the windows.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

what about the person who uses their plastic shopping bags for a garbage bag, or to hold some food in, or a number of other practical uses? Are they not getting double or triple use from that plastic bag?

Most posters are missing the point.  Although they are being referred to as 'single use' bags, that is just a convenient name.  The law, when it comes out, will ban bags less than 36 microns thick.  It doesn't matter how many times the bag is used, it's still too thin to recycle and most often finishes up in the sea, eaten by marine life often with dire results.  The fish we eat, unless on a farm, will probably contain plastic.  The result is plastic in our own bloodstream.  

It's convenient to call them 'single use plastic bags' but the detail is any plastic bag less than 36 microns thick.

This is a small step in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Actually now that you mention tossing it out the window.... from my home office I reckon I could maybe clear the fence and land it in the soi..... will give it a try later once it cools down and I can turn off the aircon and open the windows.

Har Har !!! ... Yearrrr, but do make sure that their are no people in the soi, ... or they might just chuck it back !!! Har Har .... Best Case Synario !!!

Just now, Mark mark said:

Har Har !!! ... Yearrrr, but do make sure that their are no people in the soi, ... or they might just chuck it back !!! Har Har .... Best Case Synario !!!

They only throw stuff in my yard once, A stern talking to and they see the error of their ways.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, clokwise said:

The 7-11 near me just tried to give me a plastic bag for my bottle of milk. They must not have gotten the message.

"75 brands under the Thai Retailers Association" ... do you people even READ before you post?  Could it be (A) The 7-11 franchised shops do not fall into this group?  (B) The STILL HAVE SOME BAGS, so continue to hand them out.

17 hours ago, MikeN said:

I am sure that they will find a way once they get hungry. They could always ask their mother or grandmother how they survived without styrofoam trays or plastic bags at the markets.

I don't think their grandmother bought hot food at markets and brought it home. 

• Like 1

Seeing is believing. When 7/11 catches on, that is when we know the nation is progressing. 

I always carry bags with me. It is such a simple thing to do. Same with water bottles.

We cannot say we care and continue to consume hundreds of bags and bottles. Plastic is an abomination. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, clokwise said:

The 7-11 near me just tried to give me a plastic bag for my bottle of milk. They must not have gotten the message.

Just back from both a 7-11 and our local grocery store. Plastic bags from both. Neither knew anything about a plastic bag ban when I asked. But if they do I’ll have to buy plastic bags to throw my garbage away in. 

Edited by dcnx

I have just returned from my local Tesco in a rural Issan town and this is what I experienced. As expected, no single use plastic carrier bags, not even an alternative to purchase! Whilst shopping around the store I noticed many rolls of single use plastic bags conveniently placed around the fresh food area into which many customers were placing their selection of produce (vegetables, fruit, meat or fish). In the bakery section, all the stacks of sliced ordinary and wholewheat loaves were packed in single use plastic bags. As I see it, this is a ban only on carrier bags from the check-out. For the first time ever, and not of my making, at check-out the situation for me became crazy. Like many other customers, I had my purchases stacked in a trolley and as I removed them for bar-coding the storage counter on the other side of the till (where the plastic bags used to hang) became stacked and blocked. The lady assistant stopped bar-coding whilst I unloaded the rest of my purchases. I then had to wheel my trolley to the other side of the till for re-stocking so as to allow more space to continue bar-coding my remaining purchases. I was not the only customer experiencing this time consuming process and there were long queues.

On my way home I noticed several of these in the rural villages:-

Image result for photo of thai motorcycle street food sellers