Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Well if the Thai Retailer Association really meant business it would hve incentivised people by offering free cloth bags for purchases in excess of a certain amount instead of teh stamps, coupons and other <deleted> they use to keep you coming back to them.

This is not a real effort just another idea to make 'me' look good without any real foundation. I am all for reducing plastic but this is really shallow and pathetic.

And where are the efforts to force manufacturers to reduce the amount of <deleted> they cover their ever shrinking sized products in - more deception and lies from the retail industry. It really gets my goat. 

you do know the plastic bag ban has been implement in many countries  ?

36 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

thanks for posting that, had not seen before, says it all eh?

Very funny man.  However it was over 12 years ago and attitudes change. Unfortunately, he died the following year but I wonder if his views would have changed if he were alive today.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, jollyhangmon said:

... darn mate, a well sized blade for some proper chopping, yeah, agree, always comes in handy ... but you're now packing a dedicated 'board to go with it, well that's next level stuff ... just let me salute you, brother ... 

https://images.app.goo.gl/2U6dudfJx2r2tLdD7

Just popping down the market!

• Haha 1

I think that the Sea Creatures that eat the very think plastic bags, thinking that they are food or well, just cannot find anything else ! Probably DO care about it.  …. 

And I do not think that they dump in to the sea, the plastic gets in to the River systems, often d/t Floods, and from the Places that your and My Garbage is actually put I suspect. .... And then it flows with the rivers, and in to the sea. - I do believe. 

Hence to stop the problem at the supermarket where it originates ... and as many other Stupid Problems also, is almost certainly a good idea. … Not a Social program, .... Not conditioning, .... Not Government Control !!! …. Just a very sensible Idea ! … And all those with some education and or just basic Intelligence, Know it I am sure. ….  The Educated ones probably just have the facts to back it up, … But the other good people, just know what is right and Care.

… It is time to stop the Conspiracy theories Boys ! ... Time to put your Glasses down for a while ! ... And just think about what YOU ! Are doing. … (Deleted) Gretta ... (Stxxx) the Government, even if they are trying to do something good for a change ! ... Don’t get all fired up as actually being told ? Well suggested as to what you should be doing, for a change !!! ... And run off in to a Conspiracy theory for cover ! …

Just think about what YOU are doing. ...

What you are doing, and how that it DOES affect the world around you, ... distant as it may be from exactly where you are sitting now.

... Ho Hum. ... Time to do something else. ... I am Leaving this Blog now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, glennb6 said:

you got'a be trying to wind me up...

"How successful it is ? Well I do not know ... but it is a start, an experiment and a step in the right direction I and most people think. I think that as in other places also, banning Plastic Straws and disposable Cups lids, and if UN necessary, Spoons, Knives and Forks is also a good Idea and thing to try."

An experiment you say? If anything it's a social programming experiment rather than an environmental one. Do YOU, or anyone, actually really REALLY believe that some tissue paper thin plastic bags that often get multiple uses and mostly wind up in the garbage can, that banning those are going to do anything to save the environment??! Plastic bags account for an infinitesimally small amount of garbage.

The concern about bags ending up in the ocean is a BS dodge to the issue. Dumping in the ocean would be the issue. Why not expend effort to stop that all together? Oh, no, it's easier to say "these bags are baaadddd" and you'll feel better because you have stopped using them. F reality, as long as you FEEL you've done good...

I"ll bet a plastic bag of donuts that the UN is behind this and Greta told the govt and corporate greenies they had better do this so they look good or else they will be shaming the country. First they came for the bags, and I said nothing. Then they rationed the gasoline, and I thought it would be good for the environment. Then they came for the electricity saying everyone must do their part to conserve. Something like that.

Concern about Plastic bags ? Well thinking about the situation as you see them give you 20 or 30 and double them up if you do not stop them !!! Is just the beginning, and a VERY GOOD START - I think.

Edited by Mark mark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chrissables said:

Are you saying no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags then? As all major retailers are banning plastic bags. Common sense to force all bags to biodegradable. Job done.

So what do they Break down in to if they are Biodegradable ? .... Chemicals that will poison the soil ??? ... Just asking,

... like that French 16 C was it ? or 17th Scientist that proved that you can not actually destroy matter ! ? ... Like they have to break down in to something, ... if they do Bio Degrade ! ? They just do not "Go away" ! ? ... Probably something Harmless I guess .... well that is what they think now ???

And any way I THINK ??? that they probably only Biodegrade if left in the Sun ? .. Like under the ground or in a River or the sea ! ... Like just off Pattaya Right ? ... I think that they still stay around for ever ! ? ... Until some Poor Sea creature Eats them. ?

4 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

So what do they Break down in to if they are Biodegradable ? .... Chemicals that will poison the soil ??? ... Just asking,

... like that French 16 C was it ? or 17th Scientist that proved that you can not actually destroy matter ! ? ... Like they have to break down in to something, ... if they do Bio Degrade ! ? They just do not "Go away" ! ? ... Probably something Harmless I guess .... well that is what they think now ???

And any way I THINK ??? that they probably only Biodegrade if left in the Sun ? .. Like under the ground or in a River or the sea ! ... Like just off Pattaya Right ? ... I think that they still stay around for ever ! ? ... Until some Poor Sea creature Eats them. ?

What do you think biodegradable plastic bags are made of?  Didn't you go to school? They are made of corn starch. They totally desintegrate if you for any strange  reason throw them away in the nature. You can make straws and plastic cutlery etc etc. 

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What do you think biodegradable plastic bags are made of?  Didn't you go to school? They are made of corn starch. They totally desintegrate if you for any strange  reason throw them away in the nature. You can make straws and plastic cutlery etc etc. 

With All Due Respect and Thanks ! .... BUT Year they might Disintergrate ... If left in the Sun ! ... and not submerged in Rivers or the Sea ! ? ... But there is still something left ! ...  Like you can not destroy Matter .... they just change in to something else ! ... Like the Chemicals and Elements that Make up the Corn starch ? or combination of them ! ... Like Corn starch does not ..."Just Go Away" either !!!

...  Like Flush 10 Tones of Corn starch down you Toilet ! ...  and see what happens !!! ... Like a late Night Visit from the Municipal Water Authorities I would suspect ... Or Dump it in the Nature ! ? A National Park ? ... and wait for the Parks and Gardens Rangers to come around and see you .... ??? 

They get Methane Gas out of Land Fills ! ? ... So maybe that is partially from the Plastic ??? a better end product ! ... But, there still will be 10 Million tones of <deleted> (So to speak ?) ... Left in the Land Fill !!! and probably Chemically, not even close to what was Put in to it in the first Place ! ? 

Well, I have not seen any of my stuff be pulled ! ? Or I would not post this. ... (Like am just a Blogger,… and I do accept the Decision of the Moderators, like we DO have to have them ! … even if occasionally, you might not like their decisions. ) … No conspiracy Theory’s here, just Common sense.

… And I have seen about 50/50 on Likes to Dislikes here ! … Well, maybe even 60/40 ! ? … A Couple of prickly Disagreements, … But well, I seem to still be OK, …  and well, on Topic … and even Relevant I think ? Like this problem of being Given, just HUGE amounts of Plastic bags here in Thailand, ... and NOT having them in Australia and other Places in the world (Have you ever tried to fit a six pack of 0.5 L Good German Beers, in to your shoulder Bag !!!) .... Is a VERY old one and I have been considering it ... EVERY TIME !!!

… But I must make this my last Post for today …. Well for the Week ! … (I have some Plastic Bags to sort out !!! Right !!!  Har Har !!!) ….

… But I DO hope, and Quite Honestly do, that the Plastic Bag Ban works !!! …. Like TIT ! … And IT WILL be good, to see another ? Win For …. TIT ! Right Fellows ! ? …

So,

We ALL just need to think about what WE are doing. ... This is NOT Social Manipulation, or social control here ! The government probably makes money out of Pollution ! ? … So it is not trying to manipulate us, for it’s own selfish reasons here either I think ! ? …

.... We just have to think ! ... about what WE all are doing, ... And how that it DOES affect the world around US, ... distant as it may be from exactly where WE are sitting now. ... But It DOES have to be considered. ...  And this is one of the TV Blogs that just seems to be Steaming on ! without abutment, like a VERY Important Issue here I think ! … Whether you Like it or not I think !!! ...  Like it is WHERE we are trying to make a START ! ? ... ALL OF US ! 

And back to Reality !

... The Lotus little convenience stores have trolleys also you know and 7-11 also I think ? ... So you can get your stuff back to your car if it is not too far away, if you have a lot, and no bag, ... you just have to take the trolley back to the store ! ... And well so does the other Discount  Chinese Thai managed Supermarket that I know ! ... And they even have a Boy to take it there for you !!!

Like it WILL be / IS Easy Really I think. 

And have a nice day, You ALL !!!

Yes,

... We Human beings ARE very good at adapting to things you know, like this is our BEST QUALITY ! ...

So we can adapt to No plastic bags also ... I am sure !!! … Like MOST other Western Countries have.

... Like most of the Objectors here, say that they do not use them any way !!! ... It must be just that they ! “Do not like being told what to DO” !!! ??? I guess .... The Male Hormones coming out in them ? ... ... and the Conspiracy Theories begin. ! ? ...

… Male Hormone influenced Thinking from MEN, … IS what made the world GREAT I think ! … What HAS Technically Moved us a GREAT WAY FORWARD !!!

….  (And probably has helped produce all of the Rubbish I guess)

And a Huge amount of Backup from the Women up to date, ... like without them ! … there would not be, US !!! …

… But the Male Hormone charged Thinking of MEN ... I think ? … Is also probably what is going to destroy it !!! (As we know it)

… So see you all there at the end of the world ! … If I make it !!! … And can someone Please bring a few extra plastic bags ! !!! Har Har !!! ... So that I can have something to put my extra stuff in ! ? … Before it all is destroyed … And ends up back in the Oceans also, …  along with all of the other <deleted> that will already be there !!!

Have a Nice Day All.

Mark mark

Edited by Mark mark
Spelling and Minor changes
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark mark said:

Stop eating the seafood, you are going crazy!

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:50 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Madness. Next could be a styrofoam ban, causing a serious famine as they can't bring their food home. 

Plenty of places are already using food containers made from some sort of plant fiber. 

4 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Well, I have not seen any of my stuff be pulled ! ? Or I would not post this. ... (Like am just a Blogger,… and I do accept the Decision of the Moderators, like we DO have to have them ! … even if occasionally, you might not like their decisions. ) … No conspiracy Theory’s here, just Common sense.

… And I have seen about 50/50 on Likes to Dislikes here ! … Well, maybe even 60/40 ! ? … A Couple of prickly Disagreements, … But well, I seem to still be OK, …  and well, on Topic … and even Relevant I think ? Like this problem of being Given, just HUGE amounts of Plastic bags here in Thailand, ... and NOT having them in Australia and other Places in the world (Have you ever tried to fit a six pack of 0.5 L Good German Beers, in to your shoulder Bag !!!) .... Is a VERY old one and I have been considering it ... EVERY TIME !!!

… But I must make this my last Post for today …. Well for the Week ! … (I have some Plastic Bags to sort out !!! Right !!!  Har Har !!!) ….

… But I DO hope, and Quite Honestly do, that the Plastic Bag Ban works !!! …. Like TIT ! … And IT WILL be good, to see another ? Win For …. TIT ! Right Fellows ! ? …

So,

We ALL just need to think about what WE are doing. ... This is NOT Social Manipulation, or social control here ! The government probably makes money out of Pollution ! ? … So it is not trying to manipulate us, for it’s own selfish reasons here either I think ! ? …

.... We just have to think ! ... about what WE all are doing, ... And how that it DOES affect the world around US, ... distant as it may be from exactly where WE are sitting now. ... And It DOES have to be considered. ...  And this is one of the TV Blogs that just seems to be Steaming on ! without abutment, like a VERY Important Issue here I think ! … Whether you Like it or not I think !!! Liek it is WHERE we are trying to make a START ! ? ... ALL OF US ! 

And back to Reality !

... The Lotus little convenience stores have trolleys also you know and 7-11 also I think ? ... So you can get your stuff back to your car if it is not too far away, if you have a lot, and no bag, ... you just have to take the trolley back to the store ! ... And well so does the other Discount  Chinese Thai managed Supermarket that I know ! ... And they even have a Boy to take it there for you !!!

Like it WILL be / IS Easy Really I think. 

And have a nice day, You ALL !!!

Yes,

... We Human beings ARE very good at adapting to things you know, like this is our BEST QUALITY ! ...

And we can adapt to No plastic bags also ... I am sure !!! … Like MOST other Western Countries have.

... Like most of the Objectors say that they do not use them any way !!! ... It is just that they ! “Do not like being told what to DO” !!! ??? I guess .... The Male Hormones coming out in them ? ... ... and the Conspiracy Theories begin. ! ? ...

… Male Hormone influenced Thinking from MEN, … IS what made the world GREAT I think ! … What HAS Technically Moved us a GREAT WAY FORWARD !!!

….  (And helped produce all of the Rubbish I guess)

And a Huge amount of Backup from the Women up to date, ... like without them ! … there would not be, US !!! …

… But the Male Hormone charged Thinking of MEN … is also probably what is going to destroy it !!!

… So see you all there at the end of the world ! … If I make it !!! … And can someone Please bring a few extra plastic bags ! !!! Har Har !!! ... So that I can have something to put my extra stuff in ! ? … Before it all is destroyed … And ends up back in the Oceans also, …  along with all of the other <deleted> that will already be there !!!

Have a Nice Day All.

Mark mark

Is there something wrong with your keyboard? Why are your posts full of periods, exclamation points and question marks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have two 7 Elevens within 200 meters of my house and a third about 300 meters away. The first one across the street was still giving out plastic bags yesterday. The one on my side of the street was still giving them out when I dropped in about 30 minutes ago. Haven't tried the third one yet, rarely go there. There was one goofball with his own cloth bag in the 7 this afternoon. Looked like he hadn't shaved, taken a shower or changed his clothes since long before he bought that cloth bag. I wonder which one of you plastic hysterics it was???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

you're not getting it are you, the cost has nothing to do with it, if we are talking supermarket shopping and a planned shop - I bring my own bag

one my way home from a night out is entirely different - you need something to carry stuff in - what do you suggest, going for a night out with a shopping bag ????

what part of "Convenience Store" are you not understanding ?

It's you that won't be getting it, for free, when your "convenience store", like many other "convenience stores" around the world, start charging for bags.

Get a box of beer and you won't have to worry about the bag.

4 hours ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

People act like this is the end of the world yet, plastic bags were only invented in the 60s and probably only common place since the 80s.

Quite.  I used to work in a shop after school and many ingredients like sugar came in sacks and we had to weigh it out into 1lb in paper bags.

Cheese came 2 large rounds in a wooden crate. That was cut up by hand with a wire and wrapped in greaseproof paper. No plastic bags or clingfilm then.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It's you that won't be getting it, for free, when your "convenience store", like many other "convenience stores" around the world, start charging for bags.

Get a box of beer and you won't have to worry about the bag.

So,you usually carry around a sixpack of beer? Many supermarkets in Europe have charged for plastic bags for years,but then we're talking about much bigger,thicker bags and much better quality. The type of plastic bags you got at 7/11 and Tesco are/were thin and real bad quality, actually <deleted>. I wouldn't mind pay 2 baht extra for a biodegradable normal sized bag that fits in my trash bin in the kitchen.

• Thanks 1

Just read on Twitter that plastic bags are now to be blurred on TV!!

Imagine the screen with a man smoking a cigarette and pointing a gun at a girl in a low cut top carrying her Tesco plastic bag with a glass of wine on the table next to her!!!!!

• Haha 2