need insurance

hi, as my elite visa is running out and i am now over 50 i have a question.

i will be applying within thailand for a retirement visa, i have all thats needed just

i have a bupa insurance for 5.000.000thb out patient only.

will i need to change to an inpatient insurance or is this accepted.

thanks

rick

You will not need to show any insurance if you chose to apply and extend Non-O visa. That is only for people that goes on or chose to apply for and extend Non-OA visa.

Strange, but for now thats the rules.

If you out of some reason must chose a Non-OA, then the insurance you have will not qualify.

Edited by Matzzon

Since you are applying for a Visa in Thailand, it can only be a Non-Imm-O. (Presumably you will have entered Thailand on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa and will be converting that.) Subsequently I expect you will pursue a retirement Extension of 12 months. Neither of these requires insurance. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

O = 90 day single entry visa that later can be used to extend permission of stay for a variety of reasons: Marriage, retirement, Dependent

OA= 12 month multientry Visa obtained in one's home country that can provide up to 2 years of permission to stay if used correctly. initial application requires Criminal background check, Medical certificate, and money in home country bank or income shown in home country. later can be used to extend permission of stay for a variety of reasons: Marriage, retirement, Dependent

My bad, The Thai Embassy in Australia needs to update their website as it does not mention the non-o is also for retirement purposes.............Spouse/dependant/NGO/Volunteer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

My bad, The Thai Embassy in Australia needs to update their website as it does not mention the non-o is also for retirement purposes.............Spouse/dependant/NGO/Volunteer.

It does need updating since they will not issue one for being 50 or over for retirement. Many embassies and consulates have the same policy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rickthailand said:

thanks for all the responses

OP wrote > hi, as my elite visa is running out and i am now over 50 i have a question.

i will be applying within thailand for a retirement visa.

>> I just PM-ed you a comprehensive roadmap with all details/options, to switch from your present Elite Visa to a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which can then be extended for 1-year.

Note: The roadmap is primarily meant for original OA Visa holders that now when applying for an extension of their OA-retirement Visa are required to subscribe to bogus thai-approved health-insurance.  Switching to a Non Imm O Visa does not require that health-insurance scam.  The process described also applies for your query to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:47 AM, tonray said:

OA= also now requires health insurance both for new applications AND extensions for retirement

too much misleading information...

NON-O-Retirement still doesn't require any insurances

for the OP: try to get a Non-O

for all other retirees: just look in your Passport which kind of visa you actually have, is it a NON-O or a NON-OA???

with a NON-O-Retirement Visa you are fine without any rip off insurances, at least until now.

Edited by SmoothOperator
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SmoothOperator said:

too much misleading information...

NON-O-Retirement still doesn't require any insurances

just look in your Passport which kind of visa you actually have, is it a NON-O or a NON-OA???

with a NON-O-Retirement Visa you are fine without any rip off insurances, at least until now.

The OP currently has an elite visa. 

He will need to exit Los and either obtain non O at consulate or re-enter los perhaps visa exempt and do "conversion" to non O at immigration.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:21 AM, Matzzon said:

You will not need to show any insurance if you chose to apply and extend Non-O visa. That is only for people that goes on or chose to apply for and extend Non-OA visa.

Strange, but for now thats the rules.

If you out of some reason must chose a Non-OA, then the insurance you have will not qualify.

non o a wasn't required to have money in a Thailand bank I believe, if true not strange at all imo

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

non o a wasn't required to have money in a Thailand bank I believe, if true not strange at all imo

Not for the initial one, but you will surely need it for an extension based on such visa.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Not for the initial one, but you will surely need it for an extension based on such visa.

True. And therein is the underlying rubbish from Thai imm asserting that insurance is required for ongoing extensions for folk that entered with non O-A and many years later some now based on marriage or parent etc. You need money in bank or whatever along with insurance!

Bunch of ####s

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

True. And therein is the underlying rubbish from Thai imm asserting that insurance is required for ongoing extensions for folk that entered with non O-A and many years later some now based on marriage or parent etc. You need money in bank or whatever along with insurance!

Bunch of ####s

As I´ve heard it regarding the ones that have entered with O-A and changed to marriage extension, that is also another mystic thing that is different from office to office and appearently in the hands of individual IO´s.

14 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Yes, true.

When applying for the Non Imm OA Visa in your home-country you need to prove you have sufficient funds on your bank-account (does not need to be a thai bank-account).

From the moment the Visa has been issued, till the time your permission to stay is due for extension (can be almost 2 years when timed right), there is no need to have money on a thai bank-account.

But once you apply for an extension of stay you need to proof financials (money-in-bank, monthly income transfers or proof-of-income letter).

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As I´ve heard it regarding the ones that have entered with O-A and changed to marriage extension, that is also another mystic thing that is different from office to office and apparently in the hands of individual IO´s.

Yes, there are some rogue IOs (e.g. Petchabun, Nonthaburi) that - incorrectly - insist that when you are applying for an extension of stay of your Non Imm OA Visa for reason of MARRIAGE, that health-insurance is required.

So if you are married to a thai national and want to extend your permission to stay based on your OA Visa, but this time for reason of marriage (to avoid the bogus health-insurance scam), these rogue IOs actually force you to exit Thailand, and convert to a Non Imm O - marriage Visa (which does not require insurance).

On 1/2/2020 at 7:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

It does need updating since they will not issue one for being 50 or over for retirement. Many embassies and consulates have the same policy.

All these O and O-A for retirement are confusing to new members.

It is better to separate the different visas for different purposes in the future.

Where did you get that immigration have stopped issuing O visa for retirement ?

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If want the tedium of looking yourself, try the Thai Embassy web sites and you will find that only local (SE Asia) Thai Embassies and Consulates offer the "O" based on retirement.  I don't know your home country but I would hazard a guess you won't find it offered for "retirement" there, since they have been pushing the "O-A" as the retirement visa if you don't have family ties to Thailand 

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Well they had better learn, since I don't think Thai Immigration cares much about confusing new members 

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It is better to separate the different visas for different purposes in the future.

Ubon was replying to question about non-O in Australia. Not available. 

In similar way not available in some other countries. Most people obtain non o in nearby countries or do "conversion" to non o at Thai immigration inside los.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Where did I write anything about immigration in my post. I was only writing about embassies and consulates that are not part of immigration.