New TCL 4K TV severely restricts what I want to watch.

giddyup

Now after watching several 4K videos on Youtube I'm spoiled for anything less, except maybe HD. Previously I had downloaded a few seasons of The Office, but now find they are unwatchable because the clarity is so poor. Waiting for the day (hopefully will live long enough) when 4K is the standard.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

3 1/2 metres from a 55 inch TV?

Is this 55 inch TV a 4k model?

If so: get much closer!

Like 1.5m!

55 inch is much too small for a "living room" experience on 4k.

https://www.techjunkie.com/tv-screen-size-calculator/

No chance for human eye to distinguish between 1080p and 4k with 55inch at 3.5m!

(device errors/faults prohibited)

1080p = FullHD.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is this 55 inch TV a 4k model?

If so: get much closer!

Like 1.5m!

55 inch is much too small for a "living room" experience on 4k.

https://www.techjunkie.com/tv-screen-size-calculator/

No chance for human eye to distinguish between 1080p and 4k with 55inch at 3.5m!

(device errors/faults prohibited)

1080p = FullHD.

it's in the bedroom. The previous TV was a 42", not big enough. Believe me I can pick the difference easily between 1080 and 4K, and my eyes are 77 years old.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Believe me I can pick the difference easily between 1080 and 4K, and my eyes are 77 years old.

Wish we could do the test onsite.

And you still didn't not answer what the TV set is specified for?

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Aside from that: there are plenty of HD, 2k, 4k amateur video on youtube.

Technically they have the resolution but can still be bad due to the equipment used and encoding process.

I was watching a lot of stuff like movie previews, roller coaster rides, travelogues etc. Brilliant in 4K.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Let's find you a whole movie in 4k. What's your flavour?

Anything with plenty of gratuitous violence. Seriously, my tastes are wide and varied, a good mystery/crime/suspense etc, if I had to choose.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Be thankful you have what you have, Thai house we rent , the owner has left tv's that are about 4ft thick and better support than a concrete bridge strut

Is it written in the contract you cannot put supplied TV's in the closet and set up your own ?

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Taking a look...

I hope you have a lot of storage space......or do you have a streaming solution?

American Gangster 2007 2160p.UHD BluRay X265 10bit HDR10 Plus DTS-X.7.1 is a good test for your TV ????

Too old?

I have seen it, but might be time for a revisit. Haven't yet set the TV up with Kodi or the like.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Joker, I guess you have already seen too....or have you?

Yes, brilliant. The problem is that I'd downloaded most of the new release and TV shows from torrent sites previously, that's why I found Netflix a bit of a waste.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Now after watching several 4K videos on Youtube I'm spoiled for anything less, except maybe HD. Previously I had downloaded a few seasons of The Office, but now find they are unwatchable because the clarity is so poor.

You are not the only one to get this experience. :sad:

4K TV are great if you have a good quality movie file, but strongly increase the image defaults due to the compression, doing many HD ones unwatchable on such TV.

I have a small collection of a hundred of HD movies compressed to about 1-1.5 GB. If I now want to watch them I do it on my 24" PC monitor, where they still look ok.

HD movie still play well on my 4K TV only if they are not too much compressed, so 4-8 GB.

4K compressed movies still great in 8-16 GB.

27 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

You are not the only one to get this experience. :sad:

4K TV are great if you have a good quality movie file, but strongly increase the image defaults due to the compression, doing many HD ones unwatchable on such TV.

I have a small collection of a hundred of HD movies compressed to about 1-1.5 GB. If I now want to watch them I do it on my 24" PC monitor, where they still look ok.

HD movie still play well on my 4K TV only if they are not too much compressed, so 4-8 GB.

HD is generally recognised as 1280p x 720p.

Full HD, I expect around 3GB unless I need 7 Channel sound.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

HD is generally recognised as 1280p x 720p.

Full HD, I expect around 3GB unless I need 7 Channel sound.

You are right. I should have write FHD  (1920x1080), not just HD as the OP did.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I'm glad I went with a 50 inch LG Plasma..it copes very well with low bit rate files

(compression artifacts)...movies of about 1.5 GB and tv series about 200-300 MB per episode look great.

Doesn't really depends of the brand. I watched the famous final battle of the TV series Games of Throne, a very dark/night movie, on a very recent SONY 4k 60" and it was very limit watchable despite being a 4 Go file. Only the Blu-ray allows to see this episode the way producers imagined and filmed it.

Of course all movie where you just see people in normal life, house, city... have no problem with strong compression. True for most TV series. I have doubt it's still "great" with a 200 MB file though...

Image quality problems come with fast action in the dark, or very dark images, or strong lights (explosion) in a rather sombre image, or even just very fast actions. First torrent files of the last Avengers by example were horrible on a 4K TV.

Is this a thread on UHD TVs or illegal movie downloads?

We could probably conclude that over-compressed pirated downloads aren't going to look overly good on a large high resolution TV. But then why not subscribe to NetFlix which has lots of 4K content? It's not really TV's fault, usually, though some have better upscalers than others.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Upscale to 4K?

Came to my mind a bit late.

Yes if you watch a lower resolution like 1080p on the 4k TV the hardware has to "blow up" the image.

1080p = 1920*1080

4k = 3840*2160

So one pixel/dot of FullHD becomes 4 pixel on the 4k screen.

May or may not be noticeable.

2 hours ago, johng said:

(compression artifacts)...movies of about 1.5 GB

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's not possible to comment without knowing the length/duration of the movies.

I just selected a "reference" 4k video and let the WinX downloader analyze.

2:10:05 hours would end in an mp4 file of 10.75 GB or a 13.8 GB webm file.

Frame rate 30.

So about 10 GB for an hour.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1K2bCg4J8

(and this is "crystal clear" even in FullHD only on my PC monitor)

Archived