U.S. strike kills Iran Quds Force commander Soleimani - Pentagon

webfact

On 1/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, bristolboy said:

What do you expect the Iranians to do, given the economic war that Trump has waged on them? The US wouldn't have had to react if Trump has listened to the Pentagon and not imposed such harsh measures on Iran. As the Pentagon pointed out, with lots of troops on the ground, that's a lot of potential targets you're giving the Iranians. And now the militias in Iraq, too.

PT is the commander and chief! The Pentagon can only suggest what to plan for. The Potus,Mr. Trump makes the final decision. If it were another POTUS anybody but this one it would be balls to the wall, right!

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I do....he has just announced that 52 Iranian targets have been earmarked (one for every hostage taken by them previously). If they misbehave, those targets will be taken out. I just hope its a mixture of installations and mullahs.

This is how it's done.

Trump announced that 52 Iranian targets would be struck if Iran attacked Americans or American assets, leaving Iran plenty of options--militias in Yemen launching drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities, Hizbollah in Lebanon firing rockets into Israel, mines appearing in the Straits of Hormuz making it impassable to oil tankers, cyber attacks on an endless number of targets, "spontaneous" anti-American protests across the region and beyond, etc.

On the subject of protests; the anti-Iran protests in Baghdad and Tehran have been replaced with anti-American protests.    I'm sure you see this as a good thing.

24 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Trump announced that 52 Iranian targets would be struck if Iran attacked Americans or American assets, leaving Iran plenty of options--militias in Yemen launching drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities, Hizbollah in Lebanon firing rockets into Israel, mines appearing in the Straits of Hormuz making it impassable to oil tankers, cyber attacks on an endless number of targets, "spontaneous" anti-American protests across the region and beyond, etc.

On the subject of protests; the anti-Iran protests in Baghdad and Tehran have been replaced with anti-American protests.    I'm sure you see this as a good thing.

Must be the Donald’s way of achieving middle Eastern peace. Iran and Iraq fought a war in the 80s, and with this assassination they are now good friends.

Who knows, could be his round about way of trying to get a Nobel prize. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, samran said:

Must be the Donald’s way of achieving middle Eastern peace. Iran and Iraq fought a war in the 80s, and with this assassination they are now good friends.

Who knows, could be his round about way of trying to get a Nobel prize. 

Not a good time for any contries with troops in Iraq now! 

46 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Looks like you're on the Iranian advisory board now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

So far as options for Iran, you do realize they were already using them, and that the war started decades ago?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beechguy said:

So far as options for Iran, you do realize they were already using them, and that the war started decades ago?  

I indicated as much in an earlier post; the situation we've had with Iran for many years could be described as a low intensity conflict.  Trump's actions will undoubtedly ramp up the intensity significantly.

On 1/3/2020 at 4:52 PM, Brigand said:

This guy was certainly an enemy of the US and more than likely deserved it. Question is about whether this was an assassination of a political/military figure without the approval of Congress (which I believe is needed for such actions). Although, when dealing with the actors here it is certainly 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as Iran is up to no good and is doing a fine job of also destabilizing the whole region too. Very dangerous situation now and wouldn't be surprised if it kicks off a bit.

without the approval of Congress (which I believe is needed for such actions).

LOL

I'm sure that you realise that such an operation has to be carried out on the spur of the moment, when an opportunity presents itself. Delaying while "consulting" with congress is going to allow such an operation to slip away, and IMO would allow "someone" to leak the operation leading to the target escaping.

Obama assassinated many, apparently, with drone strikes; did he "consult" with congress each and every time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I indicated as much in an earlier post; the situation we've had with Iran for many years could be described as a low intensity conflict.  Trump's actions will undoubtedly ramp up the intensity significantly.

and that is a problem because...............................?

War with Iran, in some form has, IMO, been inevitable since the embassy hostage situation, and it's just now that it begins, or not.

I've been saying for some time that Trump's re election is inevitable so long as the economy is good and Americans don't start coming back in body bags, so this could be disastrous for him, if it all goes wrong.

17 hours ago, heybruce said:

I don't know what he has planned, I suspect he doesn't have a plan. 

Indeed you don't know what he has planned, so suspect away all you like.

Trump, like every president, doesn't carry out such operations without consulting advisors, and the Pentagon, apparently, has people doing nothing but make plans for every situation, including, I hope, consequences.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, bristolboy said:

Good thing that there aren't any vulnerable American troops on the ground in Iraq. Otherwise, that might be a problem.

Agreed... Im still of the view pull them ALL out. American meddling has caused more wars and suffering than anything else.  Get out and stay out and def no wars, bombing or crooked meddling I think USA has enough of it's own problems without it's righteousness that it can cure other countries. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, gamb00ler said:

could not care less if it was 'lawful' it was stupid paying your enemy like that - Iraq war was 'lawful' but unethical too. Trump is right on this one but there are bound to be some on here who think it's a great idea  lol

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed you don't know what he has planned, so suspect away all you like.

Trump, like every president, doesn't carry out such operations without consulting advisors, and the Pentagon, apparently, has people doing nothing but make plans for every situation, including, I hope, consequences.

Right...

Trump supporters keep telling us he isn't like any other President, except when he's like every President.

I wonder which advisers he consulted when he decided to throw the Kurds under the bus and green-light the Turkish invasion of Syria.

You hope he considered the consequences of his decision.  I'm certain he didn't.

• Like 2