How to make marinaded BBQ pork and dipping sauce

Kenny202

Want to make some Thai style (or Isaan?) marinated pork to do on the BBQ. The one you buy off the street ok but never seems to have much flavour to me. Went to a Thai party on the weekend and the BBQ pork was amazing. Just wondering if anyone knows what to put in the marinade. Just off my head I would say

Soy, oyster sauce, Lemongrass, brown sugar, garlic, lime? Maybe galangal all mashed up in the pok pok of course.

What about the dipping sauce? Most of the Isaan ones I've tried can be harsh. Would like a smoother sweeter version

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea how Thais make it, but in my experience marinades aren't as good as dry rubs.

You could also slow cook the pork in a slow cooker in a liquid "marinade" at low temperature, then finish on the grill.

One secret is don't overcook.  Even better than a slow cooker is a sous vide water bath at precisely controlled temperature before grilling.  This is how Michelin star restaurants prep their steaks or pork belly, for example.

I bought a sous vide cooker last year and made some great cornbread that I put in the freezer and pulled out and threw in a hot 400F oven for 10 minutes.  Fantastic.

Your dipping sauce sounds great.  Invite me over when you make it sometime. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419