HuaHin IO Office: Non OA insurance needed

On 1/3/2020 at 6:52 PM, DoneTravelling said:

I renewed mine in December and it was not required, I had my insurance papers and they gave them back, it may have changed since then. 

I was advised medical insurance is not required for renewal only for first time OA applicants.

Go back and ask again

Was that at Hua Hin?

On 1/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, RocketDog said:

This is what I expected. I was planning to contact my USA insurance company and attempt to get the letter required. But didn't really expect it to be honored at immigration though each office is different. 

It would be interesting to hear from anybody that Did have such a letter accepted. 

Anybody out there? 

A number of people have but only for issuance of the initial OA visa.  It is not accepted for in-country extensions.

For people on OA visas with international insurancr choices are:

1. Do sequential OA visas, no in-country extension. This assumes that you eitherbcan get the "Certificate" signed or the Embassy/Consulate in your country  agrees to accept policy documents instead (some do). Note that you will only be able to stay through the date the policy ends as indicated on Embassy notation on the visa...so if your policy has an expiration date and insurer alllows it would be worthwhile renewing for more than a year before you get tbe visa.

This option mainly makes sense for those who would go back to their home country every 1-2 years anyway.

2. Get a Thai insurance policy even though you don't need one. This is an option only if under 75 and without significant pre-existing conditions. There are 2 variants for combining a mandatory Thai  policy with international  insurance:

(a)Get a high deductible policy (e.g. 300k)  at as low a premium as you can. This becomes essentially a "throw away" policy that does little other than meet Imm requirements. 

3. Get a no deductible low cap policy and use it to cover the deductible on your main policy (which you might increase in order to help offset the cost of the Thai policy). In that case you will also gain some outpatient cover though not as mich as it sounds (e.g. on many policies to actually claim 40k OPD you'd have to have 40 separate visits because the cover per visit is low). Still, you'd likely get some small value back, and might save significantly on your main policy premiums. If taking this approach I strongly urge working with a broker who can help you choose the best/least unreliable policy and also run interference with the Thai company on any claims issue. I recently used a Thai policy to cover the deductible on my main policy and the Thai insurer had great difficulty comprehending it, would not have worked without broker intercession.  AA brokers understands the Imm requirements and these sort of options well  www.aainsure.net

3. Change to Elite or non-O visa.

• Thanks 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, DrJack54 said:

Personally I have non O so at present is not huge concern. That does not stop me being very angry that O-A folk have been sucked into this rubbish. This is far more serious than the big shibang about TM30.

Where is that farang guy that organized big meeting about that issue?

TM30 affected the foreign business community in a big way, while the health insurance only involves the fleecing of a handful of powerless retirees.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DoneTravelling said:

The Compulsory Health Insurance has been confirmed as ONLY applicable when using, and extending, a ‘Non O-A’ type visa. NOT when using a ‘Non O’ type visa.

Yes we know this. 

But your prior post seemed to say you had extended a non O-A without insuramce.

Which was it, O or O-A?

I extended my Non O retirement visa which I have been doing for the last 12 years. Sorry if I gave the impression it was a Non O-A

Extract from another forum written by a lawyer

News November 2019 – Compulsory Health Insurance-
Compulsory Health Insurance has been confirmed as REQUIRED when entering Thailand using a ‘Non O-A’ type visa, and will probably be required for any annual Extension of a ‘Non O-A’ obtained later.
NOTE. When entering Thailand using a ‘Non O’ type visa, or an Extension of a ‘Non O’ visa, NO Compulsory Health Insurance is required.
(A ‘Non O-A’ visa offers you a continuous stay of 1-year on arrival, and is obtained from an Embassy outside Thailand, and currently DOES need a Compulsory Health Insurance)
(A ‘Non O’ visa offers you a continuous stay of 90-days on arrival, is obtained from an Embassy outside Thailand, and can be Extended here in Thailand for a further year (long-stay-permission) at an Immigration office, and does NOT need Compulsory Health Insurance)

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Lloydyboy said:

My friend tried to get his 2nd extension of stay, based on OA retirement, yesterday at Chaiyaphum IO and was told needed insurance.. Peter,  could you pm me you notes on changing to O type so I can forward to him.  Thanks

As requested I PM-ed you the comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to switch from (an extension of) a Non Imm OA - retirement Visa to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Note: To check your PM-messages click the letter icon next to your profile, when logged in to the Forum.

1 hour ago, DoneTravelling said:

The Compulsory Health Insurance has been confirmed as ONLY applicable when using, and extending, a ‘Non O-A’ type visa. NOT when using a ‘Non O’ type visa.

To be more precise > Thai-approved health insurance is ONLY required when applying for an extension of your original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.  When extending your OA Visa for reason of MARRIAGE health-insurance is not required.

31 minutes ago, DoneTravelling said:

There is no mention of marriage only referencing a Non O-A, as such I would think it is all encompassing but this is Thailand who knows.

DoneTravelling, I don't believe you are correct (if I read your post saying you think marriage is included - apologies if I read your post wrong).  Just the contrary, there is mention that it only applies to 'retirement'.  Unfortunately, I fear some IOs may have the same incorrect (?) point of view as yourself.  Below are some extracts to backup my point ... Note the health insurance requirement specifically mentions "in case of retirement" or "with the purpose of retirement".  It does NOT mention 'marriage'. 

Please, can you point me to YOUR reference that proves it includes for "marriage"?

retirement-marriage-01e_640w.jpg

retirement-marriage-03e_640w.jpg

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly , thanks to Peter for his PM and info.

I did reply , but at risk of wearing him out I will put this here as the thread  appears still alive and certainly adding to our info base.

Apologies as this excerpt may only be of interest to some Australians. ( Other Thai Consulates may state differently ) 

Peter has mentioned the '90 day Non-Immigrant O Visa' as a vehicle for returning into Thailand after  a trip home for the purpose  of 'Retirement' in Thailand.

However , Retirement is not listed as a purpose/reason on the Royal Thai Consul General Website in Sydney , Australia. See-

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

"Non-Immigrant Visa type "O" (For Dependent, Spouse and family visit and spouse of Thai national)

Purpose of Visit:

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to visit their family in Thailand. There are 2 categories of a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa: Single Entry and Multiple Entries.

Additional required documents:

• A proof of relationships such as marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • A confirmation letter from your spouse or family member with copy of their Thai ID card and house registration.
  • A copy of the visa or work permit of a spouse or parent who is currently working in Thailand "

Does this mean a re-entry to Thailand for me ( with a Thai defacto of 10 years  not married and  waiting at our leased Thai  home )   , is only possible under a 30 day Visa exempt entry?

( Also , there is no mention of 800k baht here either ... not sure why ...)

Thanks to all the contributers here btw...

20 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Firstly , thanks to Peter for his PM and info.

I did reply , but at risk of wearing him out I will put this here as the thread  appears still alive and certainly adding to our info base.

Apologies as this excerpt may only be of interest to some Australians. ( Other Thai Consulates may state differently ) 

Peter has mentioned the '90 day Non-Immigrant O Visa' as a vehicle for returning into Thailand after  a trip home for the purpose  of 'Retirement' in Thailand.

However , Retirement is not listed as a purpose/reason on the Royal Thai Consul General Website in Sydney , Australia. See-

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

"Non-Immigrant Visa type "O" (For Dependent, Spouse and family visit and spouse of Thai national)

Purpose of Visit:

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to visit their family in Thailand. There are 2 categories of a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa: Single Entry and Multiple Entries.

Additional required documents:

• A proof of relationships such as marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • A confirmation letter from your spouse or family member with copy of their Thai ID card and house registration.
  • A copy of the visa or work permit of a spouse or parent who is currently working in Thailand "

Does this mean a re-entry to Thailand for me ( with a Thai defacto of 10 years  not married and  waiting at our leased Thai  home )   , is only possible under a 30 day Visa exempt entry?

( Also , there is no mention of 800k baht here either ... not sure why ...)

Thanks to all the contributers here btw...

Non O based on retirement is not available in Australia. BTW forget any notion of reference to de facto. Means zip in Thailand. As for obtaining a non o, as Peter Dennis has extensively outlined can be obtained inside Thailand via conversion to non o from setv or visa exempt entry. 

Also from outside Thailand at suitable nearby country. Vietnam just one example.