Iraqi PM says U.S. killing of Iranian commander will 'light the fuse' of war

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, Calach said:

The Americans just bought Europe 3 more decades of bloodbath and chaos in our backyard. Millions more dead, millions more refugees and likely more terrorism. 

With allies like that...

It's time we turn our back on NATO and that policy of constantly bullying the entire world. They have the strongest army and we can't prevent them from doing whatever the hell they want but it doesn't mean we have to support them and their catastrophic whims. 

You’re Welcome.  

19 hours ago, KhunFred said:

The only worthwhile thing that Trump has done since he took office. I can't support him, but killing Islamic extremists is ALWAYS a good idea.

Obviously with this racist comment you did not violate TV rules. 

Meaning......? ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Though this guy was obviously a problem, and responsible for alot of mayhem, it is very peculiar timing for Trump to choose to do this now. It appears that Iraq is already sick and tired of 17 years of constant American presence, and ready to oust them anyway. And then this? Not well conceived, nor has this been well thought through. As usual, no consideration has been given to the potential blowback, or the heightening of tensions in the region. Also, as usual Iran has been under estimated. The potential damage they can wreak on US soldiers overseas, and even on US soil could be devastating to the US, to Trump, to the prospects of his re-election, and to the region. 

Also, much consideration should be given to the fact that thought the US has the largest military in the world, their accomplishments have been minimal. No wars have been won since WWII! That was 75 years ago. The US got it's butt kicked in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan Syria, and now in Iraq, so many typical assumptions about the great might of this force, can be laid to rest within the dustbin of history. The US may very well be in over it's arrogant head, on this one. Iran is no doubt the most capable foe, that they have faced in a very long time. They have deep  pockets, they have an ideological bent, and they have the capacity for pain. Their cyber capabilities alone, are more than the pentagon has ever dealt with. 

and now they have the bank of china at their disposal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

Not only oil -- the whole damn (Iraq) war was outsourced for profit, from feeding and supplying the troops to building and maintaining the Green Zone in Baghdad to providing security services and mercenaries to selling off Iraqi state assets to private concerns. Halliburton indeed made billions, and Cheney is a war profiteer and a crook. I’m not much for conspiracy theories (and I don’t blame or implicate the Israelis in any of this, beyond their concern for their own security), but the test cases go back to Chile in 1973; Naomi Klein for one has done her homework here, and reading her and others is instructive ...

Yes, you are correct, the whole Iraq War was a commercial venture, for the benefit of Bush and his friends, and even Blair got rewarded with highly lucrative, speech tours of US colleges. Shock doctrine (Naomi Klein) is an eye opener, indeed. I am also not into conspiracy theories, and the point I was making was general rather than specific. However I can't imagine that the Israelis are unhappy with Trump's approach to Iran, and I think that it is naive to think that the Israelis and Russians have no effect on the US, and particularly Trump's foreign policy.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KhunFred said:

The only worthwhile thing that Trump has done since he took office. I can't support him, but killing Islamic extremists is ALWAYS a good idea.

but like Denzel says in 'Training Day' this ain't checkers it's chess and now everyone has gone to ground (of those who will replace him). They could obviously track this guy, maybe they should of kept clocking his moves for intel instead of shooting for a bin laden moment...

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Yes, you are correct, the whole Iraq War was a commercial venture, for the benefit of Bush and his friends, and even Blair got rewarded with highly lucrative, speech tours of US colleges. Shock doctrine (Naomi Klein) is an eye opener, indeed. I am also not into conspiracy theories, and the point I was making was general rather than specific. However I can't imagine that the Israelis are unhappy with Trump's approach to Iran, and I think that it is naive to think that the Israelis and Russians have no effect on the US, and particularly Trump's foreign policy.  

I’m sure at least the hardline Israelis are thrilled with Trump, and while Israel has certainly had an outsize effect on US foreign policy over the years, not to mention the buckets of aid they get, they don’t control the US government as some have claimed. In any event, it’s well past time for Netanyahu to go and more progressive leadership to come in; I’ve always thought in fact that Israel and Iran would be natural allies, as sort of the “big boys” on the block, but the leadership in both places is way too extreme for now -- a close Iranian friend who spends a lot of time in Tehran (she’s a UK dual citizen) tells me that the Revolutionary Guards are a total nightmare who basically control everything.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

I hate to state the obvious, but, considering the effects of carpet bombing over populated areas, who, indeed, is the “animal” here?

You can move to Iran if you like, that is an option.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

How about the recent airstrike on an Iraqi Popular Movement Forces convoy north of Baghdad, Iraq?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/03/middleeast/airstrike-iran-backed-forces-iraq/index.html

• "The initial report indicates that the strike targeted a convoy belonging to the medical units for the [Iraqi] Popular Mobilization Forces, near Taji Stadium in Baghdad,"
  • It is not yet known who carried out the reported airstrike on Saturday.

If the U.S. is once again the attacker, then the U.S. military has become a renegade military force attacking targets within a sovereign nation (Iraq) at will, essentially becoming a terrorist organization itself. And possible commission of war crimes if the convoy was identified as medical in purpose. If Iraq demands that the U.S. military vacate Iraq immediately, Trump either has to "put up or shut up." Surrender and leave, or stay and go to war with BOTH Iraq and Iran.

And with Trump’s latest actions he might find that is exactly what happens. Iraq will not, nor should they tolerate a rogue operator within their borders, regardless of the intentions. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

You say you don't believe in conspiracy theories yet your rather foolish post is chock block full of them.

I doubt you could have phrased that in more pompous manner, if you tried. Having read a number of your previous posts it appears that it is your custom to strike this superior pose. When you give a  condescending  description of mine as "Rather foolish" I will treat it as a special honour.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Um where have you been for the last decade or so?

All Americans abroad in Middle East/Islamic countries have been at risk (and dying) for years and years!

You seem to believe that risk is a binary state: either there's risk or no risk. You might want to consider the notion of levels of risk. So ask yourself this question: are the risks to Americans in the mideast greater now than they were before the assassination of Soleimani?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/3/2020 at 6:47 AM, bristolboy said:

Tell that to American troops in Iraq who will now be facing an armed and hostile populace.

Nothing new.  My son in Iraq 1/26/2005  Embedded reporters filmed it a few minutes before the fatal ambush, and during.  I got to see it on the evening news a day or two later.  I hate rocket propelled grenades.

image.jpeg.ab8712f55765239ab4836253cbc729cd.jpeg

A week or so later:

image.jpeg.a814c0383eb2d3a96f783101c92808ee.jpeg  image.jpeg.d99e79b63428a9aa08551836b677a838.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Thanks 1

The Death of the U.S.-Iraqi Relationship

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/iran/2020-01-03/death-us-iraqi-relationship

• Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mehdi to push forward legislation to evict U.S. forces from Iraq. Mehdi has since denounced the U.S. air strikes on KH and condemned the assassinations of Soleimani and al-Muhandis, who died alongside him in the U.S. drone strike, calling them a violation of Iraqi sovereignty and of the terms under which U.S. forces operate in the country.

Part of the agreement says the US will NOT use its bases in Iraq to launch attacks against nations in the Middle East region. The ISIS caliphate was not considered a nation but obviously Iran and Iraq are.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Death of the U.S.-Iraqi Relationship

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/iran/2020-01-03/death-us-iraqi-relationship

• Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mehdi to push forward legislation to evict U.S. forces from Iraq. Mehdi has since denounced the U.S. air strikes on KH and condemned the assassinations of Soleimani and al-Muhandis, who died alongside him in the U.S. drone strike, calling them a violation of Iraqi sovereignty and of the terms under which U.S. forces operate in the country.

Part of the agreement says the US will NOT use its bases in Iraq to launch attacks against nations in the Middle East region. The ISIS caliphate was not considered a nation but obviously Iran and Iraq are.

From your shared link above, this Killing with this timing might finally leave Iraq under Iran influence, not US, despite years of cash spent : For their part, Iranian leaders see control over Iraq as essential to their political survival, an economic “lung” to alleviate the crush of sanctions, and a crucial overland logistical supply link to the Syrian regime and Lebanese Hezbollah. Iran remains the most influential external actor in Iraq, with deep ties to Iraqi politicians and Shiite militias. "

Edited by Opl
  • Sad 1