Thai tourism problems: 2020 visitors will be up but analysts find new scapegoat - the Euros football tournament!

rooster59

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

and they have F1 this year too!!

remember when Thailand proposed that? oh, how we laughed.. :cheesy:

Looks like Vietnam is having a quiet chuckle about that one.

I reckon they should warn people not to think about a beach break in Vietnam after the F1 as the beaches are boring with no plastic to see and Somtam just isn't the same over 'there'.

non-nuoc-beach-da-nang-vietnam.jpg

13 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Hmmm, didn't the USA over 5's girls win the World Cup last year? I know they beat the English but not sure about any other European teams. 

Mate when was the last time the English won a soccermatch against a EU team? Exactly!

That's also why they're leaving europe now, they can't stand it anymore.....

And the US has a team that consists of the best players from 52 states, they still don't win anything...

nothing to do then with the fact that thailand is yesterday's destination?Or the fact that tourists have found more interesting,cleaner,more welcoming countries to visit.Nothing to do with unwelcoming IO at thai airports,nothing to do with bad press about sinking tourist vessels,road carnage,rip off taxi,tuk tuk prices, and  shopkeepers who verbally complain when you dont purchase any of their <deleted> products.

Of course not it's Euro 2020.

16 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

so many excuses none of which are relevant!

football/soccer means nothing to me or anyone i know. Something about guys running around chasing a ball and slapping ass is a little too thai for me.

Thais have ripped off farang for too long so much so that the shoes on the other foot for i guess the 10% of people that actually have money in thailand and travel abroad to spend their money.

People are travelling more than ever from what i read and see but thailands just not good enough. Deal with it!! Stop convincing yourselves it aint your fault!

Indeed. Thais are pretty good at pretending nothing is their fault. When you're the best in the world at everything, I suppose nothing is ever your fault.

Thais know best. It's why they're a 3rd-world country and the whole world will be speaking Thai in 9 years (according to mad Uncle Too). Apirat and Prawit must be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of said mad uncle being carted off by men in white coats.

Watching a football tournament from Europe is no fun as the start times are all wrong 3am kick off here in Thailand when bars are supposed to close at what time? 1am

Tourism this year will be affected by Tokyo Olympics, the Euros most people wont come here to watch

Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam have the F1 

I think these guys need to get out on the streets more or maybe they dont want to hear the truth

18 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Watching a football tournament from Europe is no fun as the start times are all wrong 3am kick off here in Thailand when bars are supposed to close at what time? 1am

Tourism this year will be affected by Tokyo Olympics, the Euros most people wont come here to watch

Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam have the F1 

I think these guys need to get out on the streets more or maybe they dont want to hear the truth

I honestly think you'd be surprised how many do come to the F1 in the far east. Of course the vast majority will be home grown but for many it will be the annual holiday based on the races. 

In any case a lot of cash is spent before, during and after the event.

On another tack, I have this vision of the following.

Two countries wish to host the F1.

One country asks What do need us to supply to ensure it will go well?

Another country says  This is what we will supply and we don't believe you need anymore than that.

I'm not claiming to state facts, just saying what I think.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

and they have F1 this year too!!

remember when Thailand proposed that? oh, how we laughed.. :cheesy:

I did not even know that Vietnam has a Formula 1 Race this year. Kudos for Vietnam for pulling that off...but damn, that's pretty crazy and will really put Vietnam on the world map...just like it did Singapore.

Yes, we did laugh when Thailand said they would get F1...and the Tour de France...

That is so embarrassing for Thailand...but I guess the still have the street food fair and the cross country runs, so there is that...

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It appears that Europeans will be shunning Thailand in favor of staying in Europe for the Euros that will be held across the continent midyear. 

So I guess the Europeans will be shunning Vietnam, Bali, and Cambodia, too?

Well that accounts for the low numbers this holiday season.... 

The blame lies totally with the ‘Vierschanzentournee‘ (The Four Hills Ski Jumping Tournament).

Maybe the government negotiators could use any leverage they may have with the Austrian German Ski Federations to request that they hold this tournament in say... July

Why go to a 3rd world country that is more expensive than any sunny and hot country in Southern Europe?

Add the countless rip offs, corruption, dual pricing, road safety, poor quality food, poor service, poor English language skills, dirty beaches, an open sewer that they call ocean. What do you get ???

It comes to value for money!!! One country in the whole f#cking world is thinking / saying that they are the best in everything and only idiots believe them !!! Welcome to planet Thailand !

1 hour ago, DLock said:

I did not even know that Vietnam has a Formula 1 Race this year. Kudos for Vietnam for pulling that off...but damn, that's pretty crazy and will really put Vietnam on the world map...just like it did Singapore.

Yes, we did laugh when Thailand said they would get F1...and the Tour de France...

That is so embarrassing for Thailand...but I guess the still have the street food fair and the cross country runs, so there is that...

April 5th Hanoi. Tickets not too expensive either.

Leading Thai analysts have come up with a new scapegoat to blame for the country's tourism problems.

Goodness do they have such people like leading Thai analysts..?????????????

I just read somewhere Phuket is Empty....I worked in Tourism industry.... please believe this statement... in my working life not once did I  come across an ethical, honourable, truthful, correct prediction about numbers in Tourism,it couldn't be more false...so are the news sources.....markets always evolve... loosing one gaining another,the only way one can have  near truthful figures is get access to Immigration database...yeah right!????????????????

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Also those who think the Thais should lower their prices are set to be disappointed - the analysts advised against that strategy. 

Thai strategy is screw the the person until they're all gone then blame someone else!

2 hours ago, DLock said:

For the past few years Thailand have hosted MotoGP, the F1 of the motorcycle world at the Chang International Circuit up in Buriram and the riders absolutely love it. I went to the circuit earlier this year and it is nice.... more than capable of host an F1 event imho..... weather that comes to pass is another story though.

????

So a couple of month of soccer (football) will lower the tourism in Thailand? I do not belive it, and if you Thailand, believe it, the problem is easily solved, just come up with something better, that would not be very hard.

1 hour ago, Tops said:

Why go to a 3rd world country that is more expensive than any sunny and hot country in Southern Europe?

Add the countless rip offs, corruption, dual pricing, road safety, poor quality food, poor service, poor English language skills, dirty beaches, an open sewer that they call ocean. What do you get ???

It comes to value for money!!! One country in the whole f#cking world is thinking / saying that they are the best in everything and only idiots believe them !!! Welcome to planet Thailand !

Sadly i agree with you..... I have only been coming to Thailand for 8 years. I am currently here now for a month and having spent the last 2 weeks in Isaan region i have travelled to Pattaya to meet some friends. Of all the years i been coming this year in particular is quiet. I was on beach rd. last night and then soi 8 and finally soi made in thailand and most of the bars were shockingly quiet. I stopped in a bar having a party..... there was around 20 Thai's and 8 falang including my friend an I.

Never thought i'd say it but... this will be my last trip out here for a long time. You are correct Tops, plenty of sun, sand and beautiful coastline around the med just a few hours on the plane and beers for £1 (always a good indicator for a good holiday destination)

surfs up!

6 hours ago, DLock said:

How is Vietnam tourism able to grow at over 15% to 20million tourists in 2020?

Look in your rear-view mirror Thailand...Vietnam is coming faster than you think.

Thailand, you had your time. Your tourism areas are tired, dirty, unsafe and underwhelming cesspools. You have ringed every last baht you can out of it and given nothing back. You deserve to fail and hopefully learn from your greedy mistakes. Tourism today is probably as good as it will ever get, so enjoy the few brave fools that come here...it's over.

Vietnam is on 8.6m as of the end of 2019.

3.3m of which were Chinese. If they get 20m in 2020 I'll plait sawdust,

Plus it's a scruffy dump and if you think Thai's dislike westerners, get ready for the Vietnamese.

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Vietnam is on 8.6m as of the end of 2019.

3.3m of which were Chinese. If they get 20m in 2020 I'll plait sawdust,

Plus it's a scruffy dump and if you think Thai's dislike westerners, get ready for the Vietnamese.

Wikipedia in tourism for Vietnam has 18 million international visitors for 2019. As well as other sources so I guess you "forget"the 1 in front of the 8. 

No surprise that Thais can only blame foreign countries and events for their own mismanagement and malfeasance.

With harsh Thai defamation laws in the criminal code, not in the civil code as in democracies, no one dares to speak the truth.

20 hours ago, 473geo said:

My friend in the UK has just booked an all inclusive 13 day holiday in Tenerife 4 - 5 hour flight

total cost a little more than the the cost of the flight to Thailand. Europeans do have alternatives

Thailand needs to be very attractive price wise for some, in order to encourage them to endure the 12 hour flight, currently it is not, alternatives closer to home are clearly being sought and found

Likewise I have a German friend who lived here for 8 years, married a Thai girl and had a baby daughter, at age 2 he decided to relocate to Germany because he didn't except the Thai education system for her future.

He came here every year to visit family & friends but last year he said no, no more... quoting it's just too expensive for a family to travel and stay here.

He has just booked a 3 weeks fully inclusive resort holiday in Hurghada Egypt for the 3 of them mid July

Room, breakfast, lunch buffet and evening meal. inclusive... drinks are extra.

The resort has 3 swimming pools [with life guards] childrens creche, activities, beachside activities, loungers and umbrellas are free.

Numerous other benefits... he said it blows "family friendly Pattaya" out of the water on every aspect.

He said he will never come to Thailand again... even his wife has said she doesn't want to come back here, she would rather fly family out to there for a visit!

21 hours ago, 473geo said:

My friend in the UK has just booked an all inclusive 13 day holiday in Tenerife 4 - 5 hour flight

total cost a little more than the the cost of the flight to Thailand. Europeans do have alternatives

Thailand needs to be very attractive price wise for some, in order to encourage them to endure the 12 hour flight, currently it is not, alternatives closer to home are clearly being sought and found

13 days all inclusive for the price of a flight to Thailand or thereabouts.  Really?  A round trip direct flight from the UK to here is £500-600.  

An all inclusive two week holiday for a "little more" than that?  So airlines are not charging for flights now?  If the flight is free then they are staying - all inclusive - for around £46 per night.  

Count me out - it sounds horrendous (if true at all).

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Likewise I have a German friend who lived here for 8 years, married a Thai girl and had a baby daughter, at age 2 he decided to relocate to Germany because he didn't except the Thai education system for her future.

He came here every year to visit family & friends but last year he said no, no more... quoting it's just too expensive for a family to travel and stay here.

He has just booked a 3 weeks fully inclusive resort holiday in Hurghada Egypt for the 3 of them mid July

Room, breakfast, lunch buffet and evening meal. inclusive... drinks are extra.

The resort has 3 swimming pools [with life guards] childrens creche, activities, beachside activities, loungers and umbrellas are free.

Numerous other benefits... he said it blows "family friendly Pattaya" out of the water on every aspect.

He said he will never come to Thailand again... even his wife has said she doesn't want to come back here, she would rather fly family out to there for a visit!

Indeed that certainly seems like the Egyptian coast would be nice, and due to the dry geography the water would be very clear. With all of these very tourism related threads and the obvious reasons for alternatives. It seems like this valid argument only applies to the more intelligent, discerning and aware travelers. IE. Westerners. Thailand is for sure losing them and for a Thai collective mentality that cannot, will not change, does not want to change (you don't have to be a Freud to see this) Thailand must rely on the Chinese, Indians, E. Europeans, Russians. 

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thai strategy is screw the the person until they're all gone then blame someone else!

Yes and that has worked for Thai tourism for many moons. And it only works when there is and has been an unlimited supply of first (and last time!) visitors. They are losing the Western supply thanks to internet and the day is coming for the others. 

Archived