Stopped at Phuket immigration due to health insurance requirement

5 minutes ago, jimn said:

Sorry Richard I do not see your point here. The OP obtained his visa in Washington, D.C. in June, 2019. This is 4 months before the October 31st implementation. In this case there is absolutely no requirement to prove he has insurance. Immigration were not somwhat flexible, they were clearly wrong.

No, they were right. They let him enter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

They were dead-wrong.  There was absolutely no reason to harass him, as his Non Imm OA Visa was issued before Oct 31, 2019. 

And the BS that they 'would let it go this time' is pure face-saving <deleted>.

I have not seen what the rules are so may be way off here.

IOs can use their discretion on how rules are followed so can harass anyone they want and can interpret the rules as they want but obviously cannot go too far. 

I would have thought that the date of entry trumps the date that the Visa was issued.

When the Visa was issued, does it not have some wording like "must comply with legislation on date of entry"?

As immigration rules change frequently, I am not surprised that officers follow different rules around the country and when challenged need to try and find the latest updates.

Personally if I was in the OPs position I would try to find what the  relevant rules about this are and bring a copy of them, in Thai, before risking crossing the border or trying to extend the visa. At least it would show he was trying to follow the rules.

Also I would not contemplate going to LOS without health insurance (been hospitalized twice in 20 years and known many others who have had problems) so would always be able to show something. Not so hard for me, for a few more years, as I have never stayed more than 4 months at a time. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chang1 said:

IOs can use their discretion on how rules are followed so can harass anyone they want and can interpret the rules as they want but obviously cannot go too far. 

I would have thought that the date of entry trumps the date that the Visa was issued.

When the Visa was issued, does it not have some wording like "must comply with legislation on date of entry"?

As immigration rules change frequently, I am not surprised that officers follow different rules around the country and when challenged need to try and find the latest updates.

Personally if I was in the OPs position I would try to find what the  relevant rules about this are and bring a copy of them, in Thai, before risking crossing the border or trying to extend the visa. At least it would show he was trying to follow the rules.

Also I would not contemplate going to LOS without health insurance (been hospitalized twice in 20 years and known many others who have had problems) so would always be able to show something. Not so hard for me, for a few more years, as I have never stayed more than 4 months at a time. 

The amended police order states that O-A visas issued before October 31 2019 doesn't need a health insurance even when enter the country after that date. It's not up to the immigration officer and different interpretations. This is old news and have been discussed here at TV many times. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The amended police order states that O-A visas issued before October 31 2019 doesn't need a health insurance even when enter the country after that date. It's not up to the immigration officer and different interpretations. This is old news and have been discussed here at TV many times. 

HI Max69xl, can you provide me with a copy or link to the amended PoliceOrder.  Thanks!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Here is another case history - returning via BKK to CNX 27th November with a ( predated October 31st ) OA with multiple re-entry.

Denied at BKK due no Thai medical insurance, accepted a 30 day tourist to make flight connection etc,

Three visits to CMI got the visa accredited but now require further re-entry stamps each time I leave Thailand ???

"Tried" a letter to Thai Embassy Australia asking for refund of THB 3800 re-entry - basic response ( not surprised ) we do not refund visa fees, I replied not visa but re-entry permit - no response ( and waiting . . . . . . . . . . ).

Clearly at this stage we OA's will need to swap to a 'O' visa if 'we' qualify, to squeeze past the medical insurance issue.

Edited by Capt Rob
typo
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Appreciate your response, written from a Western law-abiding and consistency-of-procedures point of view, but it denies the thai reality.

Which is that there is very little consistency in how rules are interpreted and enforced between immigration border-points as well as immigration offices.

In this particular case there isn't even any rule, just a decision from the IO Big Boss to end the chaos at the Airports where people were denied entrance on their pre Oct 31 issued Visa for not having health-insurance.

So mid November after 14 days of absolute chaos, the top IO declared that health-insurance is not required when entering or re-entering Thailand on an OA Visa issued before Oct 31, and this has been followed since then with relative little bloopers.

A simple announcement, but as in the case of the OP, it seems that message hasn't yet trickled down completely to all immigration officers.

Also nobody will deny the fact that it is wise to be well-covered health-insurance wise, in case you are stricken by accident/illness when staying in Thailand.  But the bogus thai-approved health-insurance scam, for sure isn't the way to realize that goal. 

I had pointed out how fluid the rules are and are enforced. This is why I would bring information about the update and any insurance (even if not approved) to help point the IO to a decision that is in my favour and not let him drift to a decision that is not.

So the IOs were trying to enforce a rule that had been overruled. Now we enter the grey area, the OP is in, of an extended visa - was that covered in the update? 

I agree about the "scam" insurance. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

"The amended police order states that O-A visas issued before October 31 2019 doesn't need a health insurance" 

It is not what was told to me in Samui, My OA visa is from 2013 an and I was told I will need an insurrance for my next extension in July!

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"The amended police order states that O-A visas issued before October 31 2019 doesn't need a health insurance" 

It is not what was told to me in Samui, My OA visa is from 2013 an and I was told I will need an insurrance for my next extension in July!

Did you mention the bosses update or is it because you have already extended the visa?

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Even if you were fit and healthy, had enough money in the bank to cover any eventuality and didn't want to waste loads of dosh every year on buying insurance which you would probably never use and which more than likely wouldn't cover you anyway? Up to you.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Health-insurance is NOT required when entering / re-entering Thailand on an OA Visa issued before Oct 31, 2019.

Health-insurance IS required when applying for an extension of stay based on an original OA Visa (even dating from yesteryear), for reason of retirement (it is NOT required when applying for an OA extension for reason of MARRIAGE).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Even if you were fit and healthy, had enough money in the bank to cover any eventuality and didn't want to waste loads of dosh every year on buying insurance which you would probably never use and which more than likely wouldn't cover you anyway? Up to you.

I am fit and healthy, but I am also well covered health-insurance wise for any accident/illness eventualities that might happen while living in Thailand.

But I would NEVER subscribe to the bogus health-insurance scam that is now imposed when applying for an extension of an OA Visa for reason of retirement.  The thai-approved health-insurance policies accepted by IO, are not only exorbitantly expensive but they are basically worthless for any serious incident (coverage capped at 400K), leading to a false sense of security by those that subscribe to it.

Better to take the easy road to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, that does not require this scam insurance, and use the money saved to get decent insurance (if you are not already insured yet).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just another example of one hand not knowing what other is doing. Fairyland.

Can you just imagine if some western country's government clowns appeared as confused in interpreting the effects  and implications  of  some new legislation or policy ... for as much as a few months?

image.jpeg.091335d3c49edef5c0ee9da935d542c8.jpeg

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

Good effort but as you said you could be way off and you are. The insurance only applies to Non OA visas issued, this is key, after 31st October 2019. I would have thought you would have seen the rules before commenting.

I do agree with you however about getting travel insurance, but in this case OA visa holders are being forced to take out worthless Thai insurance policies and that is what all the fuss is about in the many many threads on the issue. Have you been hibernating?

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

I had pointed out how fluid the rules are and are enforced. This is why I would bring information about the update and any insurance (even if not approved) to help point the IO to a decision that is in my favour and not let him drift to a decision that is not.

So the IOs were trying to enforce a rule that had been overruled. Now we enter the grey area, the OP is in, of an extended visa - was that covered in the update? 

"Now we enter the grey area, the OP is in, of an extended visa - was that covered in the update?"

You'll need a health insurance when applying for a 1 year extension (based on an O-A Visa). That's quite clear. The amended police order in November was just about the date when the O-A Visa was issued, before or after October 31 2019. 

8 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

You are talking about extensions of stay obtained in Thailand based on an original OA VISA maybe issued years ago. We are debating here about new OA visas issued in home country before and after 31st Oc 2019. Dont confuse the two totally separate issues.

9 hours ago, Capt Rob said:

Here is another case history - returning via BKK to CNX 27th November with a ( predated October 31st ) OA with multiple re-entry.

Denied at BKK due no Thai medical insurance, accepted a 30 day tourist to make flight connection etc,

Three visits to CMI got the visa accredited but now require further re-entry stamps each time I leave Thailand ???

"Tried" a letter to Thai Embassy Australia asking for refund of THB 3800 re-entry - basic response ( not surprised ) we do not refund visa fees, I replied not visa but re-entry permit - no response ( and waiting . . . . . . . . . . ).

Clearly at this stage we OA's will need to swap to a 'O' visa if 'we' qualify, to squeeze past the medical insurance issue.

Well then you have been totally stiched up, unless your visa has expired and you are into the 2nd year. When was your OA visa issued? Its important to know because if your visa has now expired you would need re entry permits to keep your permission to stay valid.

8 hours ago, chang1 said:

The police order was not overruled, just ammended to clarify what they originally meant to implement. The IO's were wrong, full stop. Please stop trying to justify there actions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

I live close to the US-Canada border and I've been stopped and my car searched for no other reason than some young kid with a new badge wanted to. Wrong or right never enters the picture. Countries do what they want at their border, and you’re at the mercy of immigration officers if you want to get in. It’s not just Thailand. It doesn’t matter how wrong it is. You can’t do anything about it.

Agreed, but a set of rules still needs to be adhered too. The officers at immigration were wrong and ill informed.

• Like 1