Learning how to use Plex

giddyup

I have managed to install Plex on both my PC and TV and have added several (about 10) files to the library, but when I went to add another file, a 1080 HDTV torrent, it isn't highlighted in my downloads so I can't add it to my library. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

A torrent isnt a file, its a link to where a files (or bits of it) is located out in the internet. You usually cant add a torrent to a library, as a library is just a list local file locations.

Have a look at kodi, it does the same as plex, and lots more, and completely free.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A torrent isnt a file, its a link to where a files (or bits of it) is located out in the internet. You usually cant add a torrent to a library, as a library is just a list local file locations.

Have a look at kodi, it does the same as plex, and lots more, and completely free.

Well, I've managed to add files (torrents) to Plex and been able to stream them to my TV. I have downloaded Kodi to my PC and TV, how do I add downloads purely for streaming? Edit: Never mind, there's info on Google on how to do.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, I've managed to add files (torrents) to Plex and been able to stream them to my TV. I have downloaded Kodi to my PC and TV, how do I add downloads purely for streaming?

Plex and Kodi are media players, go to a file and play etc, but  they are also media servers, 

Your files live in a location and you tell plex/kodi the location, build a library, files/library can then be shared, streamed etc across a network or devices that both have plex/kodi installed. One device is the server (PC) and the other device (TV) would be the player.

Lots of "how to setup kodi" guides on google.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Syncing_and_sharing

https://androidpcreview.com/how-to-setup-kodi-the-right-way/

Archived