Marriage Question

Mobi

Married in Thailand (Amphur)

Divorced in England through the courts (English divorce certificate)

Married again in Thailand.(Amphur)

First wife now requests that I go to the amphur with her in Thailand to sign Thai divorce papers. She says she cannot change her surname (from mine) until she has aThai divorce paper.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this, and will there be any come-backs or problems if I agree to her request.

Thanks

Mobi

Hi Mobi,

I personally can't answer this, but there has been a lot of discussion recently regarding marriage and possibly divorce and the legality of such in the Visa forum, and as no one has answered here, it might be an idea to give that sub- a shot.

Just a thought?

Good Luck

Moss

Married in Thailand (Amphur)

Divorced in England through the courts (English divorce certificate)

Married again in Thailand.(Amphur)

First wife now requests that I go to the amphur with her in Thailand to sign Thai divorce papers. She says she cannot change her surname (from mine) until she has aThai divorce paper.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this, and will there be any come-backs or problems if I agree to her request.

Thanks

Mobi

Unless you can read Thai, don't sign anything until it's translated. Other than that it sounds like a reasonable request.

I believe Thai divorce allows for a 50/50 split of assets, unless the two parties agree otherwise.

Be very careful what you sign.

I would suggest you consult a lawyer.

On the simplest level, a translation of the UK divorce certificate,

certified by the Foreign Ministry should allow the

Amphur to deal with your wife's name problem.

After all you cannot divorce again, if the act is already done. :o

Thanks for the advice so far. Yes, I have no intention of signing anything without it being translated to me.

I think she's on the level - but who knows?

I too would have thought that the appropriate translation of the UK divorce papers would suffice, but I can also understand that a local Amphur might make life difficult in this respect.

It is worrying, as I have since re-married and provided an affirmation to the effect that I was free to marry - which as far I was concerned is true. If I now sign a Thai divorce papers (post dating my new marriage), doesn't this put the legality of my new marriage into question?

It all sounds above board to me. It sounds like even though your UK divorce is legal and you are free to remarry here, she is wanting to get on with her life and - to do that - she effectively needs to deregister her marriage to you at the amphur. Only when she does that (and you need to be a cosignatory of that), can she in turn be free to remarry.

As for the 50/50 split of assets, that's not true.

As we've discussed elsewhere, all assets owned before the marriage REMAIN the property of the individual. All assets acquired AFTER the marriage are subject to 50/50 split.

Things have moved along now, and I am due to meet my ex at the Chonburi Amphur on Monday. I am taking a lawyer with me, just to be sure everything is OK.

The problem now is that she called me last night and asked me to bring my Thai marriage certificate with me, and said that she doesn't have one. Well I recall that I submitted mine to the court in England, along with a Thai embassy translation, when I filed for divorce.

I only have a copy with a copy of the ex's Id superimposed at the bottom, plus another faint copy of of the embassy translation.

Does anyone happen to know if this will be sufficient documentation to process divorce papers here or will they need an original certificate?

My lawyer is quite expensive, and I don't want to drag him down there on a wild goose chase, and I can't ask him as his office is closed today.

Thanks for any info.

Mobi

Things have moved along now, and I am due to meet my ex at the Chonburi Amphur on Monday. I am taking a lawyer with me, just to be sure everything is OK.

The problem now is that she called me last night and asked me to bring my Thai marriage certificate with me, and said that she doesn't have one. Well I recall that I submitted mine to the court in England, along with a Thai embassy translation, when I filed for divorce.

I only have a copy with a copy of the ex's Id superimposed at the bottom, plus another faint copy of of the embassy translation.

Does anyone happen to know if this will be sufficient documentation to process divorce papers here or will they need an original certificate?

My lawyer is quite expensive, and I don't want to drag him down there on a wild goose chase, and I can't ask him as his office is closed today.

Thanks for any info.

Mobi

If the amphur office is the same one where you first registered the marriage, they will have the original on file there. The original is actually not the same as the one you both received when first registering your marriage but a single plain page entry in the amphur's local entry book.

Don't worry if you lose your marriage certificate, I lost mine years ago, & when I next needed it I went down to the amphur & had an official transcript printed out. No probs.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Tanks for that Soundman, but unfortunately it's not the same Amphur. It was 27 years ago - 1980 - and from memory it was at an Amphur at Bangkapi, in Bangkok.

I certainly don't want to go all the way back there, with a lawyer in tow an'all , even if I could find it.

Not sure that they would keep records that long? Should do but TIT, so who knows?

So the question remains, is a copy sufficient, or will we indeed have to go to Bangkok?