Cold or flu? Respiratory issues in thailand

Elkski

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

Yes I am aware of a antibiotic overuse.  That's why I held off.  One time I was coughing up much green fluid I could hardly  breath.  

Maybe its the sweating then going on cold bts rides  or into cold malls.  I will wash my hands more.  Cleanliness, proper storage temperatures and clean hands and surfaces in Thailand  are scary.  

Antibiotic overuse does affect the herd immunity, but I'm not sure it's so bad for us individually.  And I'm not even sure it's human use of antibiotics causing the issue at all.  Especially since 80% of the antibiotics used today are used to raise meat animals.

If you're coughing up greenies, chances are your infection has become bacterial, even if it started out viral.  That happens to me even though mine starts out as an allergic sensitivity, for which antibiotics aren't any kind of solution.  But once it gets into my lungs and turns into bronchitis and I start with the technicolor sputum, antibiotics make the difference between a month of coughing and a few days.

I kept a supply of amoxicillin on hand in Thailand because it is OTC and cheap.  I used it (maybe) once every 2 years.  But I didn't hesitate when I needed it.  I also kept a supply of Cipro on hand in case of an anthrax outbreak, and never used it.

For prevention, I used a neti pot and saline water.  Disgusting in its use, it was a Godsend for me in the tropics.

Edited by impulse

I too just got over my worst case of chest congestion/cold/flu/fever bout of something of over 10 years living here. It was miserable, I actually thought about going to the hospital. I will say dont waste your money on amoxi here, thais and se asians have taken it for everything so long (like eating candy) I believe it is about useless for anything now, finally got my wife to quit buying it. Once my body is spitting things out it is telling me bacterial and time to get some azithromycin. Quinolones especially noro and cipro are life savers when you get food poisoning, i personally have never had any side effects from them.

28 minutes ago, ireckonso said:

I too just got over my worst case of chest congestion/cold/flu/fever bout of something of over 10 years living here. It was miserable, I actually thought about going to the hospital. I will say dont waste your money on amoxi here, thais and se asians have taken it for everything so long (like eating candy) I believe it is about useless for anything now, finally got my wife to quit buying it. Once my body is spitting things out it is telling me bacterial and time to get some azithromycin. Quinolones especially noro and cipro are life savers when you get food poisoning, i personally have never had any side effects from them.

Me also. Worse sickness since I've been here.

Aching body, fever, headache, sore throat and chest infection.

Antibiotics have worked a bit(I never take them). 

The fever wasn't the thing that bothered me the most it was the constant headache.

The wife got me some 400mg probufen which has helped the most.

6 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I just had 13 days of the worst chest cold / lung infection of my life.

Usually the air quality doesn’t bother me and I have never smoked.

When I had before I took Azithromycin and Prednisone and 2-4 das back to OK.

Noth this time.......I ended up in E R because I couldn’t breathe

I've been coming here for 20 years and I've just spent a month in central Thailand. Usually my mild asthma improves when I've been here a few days but this time it became much worse. I think the general air quality is quite bad at the moment and this will be a factor in picking up chest infections. 

Judging from the posts on this thread, there seems to be a new bug going around.  I first tried treating my lung infection with amoxicillin but it was ineffective.  I seem to get a bad infection here each year.  A lot of people were coughing over at Central and I expect that I picked up the cold that started it over there.  I hope that the bugs don't outstrip the effectiveness of the available antibiotics.  I buy my food at Central and it's conceivable that someone may have coughed on something that I later ate.   It's scary how far a cough or sneeze can carry germs and even wearing a mask doesn't guarantee protection.  In Japan, many food handlers now wear masks, as do many ordinary citizens.

18 hours ago, Elkski said:

This is my 8th trip to LOS. About 7 months total. 2 previous trips I lost 4-5 days due to a respiratory issue.  One time I think I got something in bkk while on a tuk tuk in the rain or was it the mouldy smelling room aircon?.  One time I ruined 4 days on koh samui.  Missed out on diving.   Just layed around resort for 3 days.  Both times  much fluid from sinus and lungs.  Green and yellow.   Both times a zpack cured me.  Results dramatic by day 2. Azitheomycin 500 mg day 1 then 250 mg for 4 days. 

This trip I waa in bkk.   Got the scratchy throat feel then swollen glands. Not much sinus  drainage at first.  Did get a cough.  Some fever and muscle aches and Tired. Clear fluid so far.  Not coughing up much and fluids clear this time.  Seems to be getting  better.

Why do I get these? I travel with a zpack  now but didnt use it this time.

I had the flu shot in USA a month ago.  Is this flu or did I get a cold in Thailand?  Haha 

Zithro is for when you have the clap.

Next time this happens trot down to a pharmacy and ask for 'Klacid'...clarithromycin....take the course

for 5 days without alcohol. 

Do not self prescribe antibiotics.

A simple blood count at any hospital will reveal whether it is a viral or bacterial problem.  If viral (most iften the case)  antibiotics will do nothing exceot disturb your gut flora and contribute to resistance.

If a painful sore throat is present and there is either fever or enlarged lymph nodes on the neck a throat swab should also be done.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Antibiotic overuse does affect the herd immunity, but I'm not sure it's so bad for us individually.  

It has no effect on herd immunity. Herd immunity is the presence of circulating antibodies.

It leads to microbial resistance. This occurs because the bacteria in individuals (including bactera like e. Coli and staph which everyone has as they are normally present  in some parts of the body but cause disease when the enter other parts) get exposed to the antiobiotic, some die but a few survive and these then multiply creating a resistant strain.

When you take an antibiotic it does not work only on the bugs causing your problem (if indeed your problem is bacterial). It affects millions of organisms all over your body including ones that are normally oresent and harmless or even helpful.

I had the flu shot in USA a month ago.  Is this flu or did I get a cold in Thailand?  Haha 

What is funny is you are asking for a diagnosis on this forum from strangers. having saud that,  Previous poster was correct, taking antibiotics for viral infections are worthless.  But if your symptoms cleared up in 4 days, then maybe it was bacterial . URIs generally run 7-10. Your current symptoms appear more flu-like.  Flu virus mutates frequently, so the vaccine you received may no longer be effective. Try to drink 2 -3 liters fluid day, stay away from mucous-producing fluds is one option.

I'm feeling much better.  I know antibiotics dont help a viral thing. 

I didn't take anything.   I do still have swollen glands in my neck. Man

this thonglor air is bad.   No morning  jogging.  I did swim some this afternoon.    

On 1/5/2020 at 11:31 PM, Sheryl said:

It is quite common for newcomers to Thailand (or anywhere else in Asia) to get a lot of respiratory viruses, this is because you have no immunity to local bugs. People who move here full time are often sick quite a  lot for the first few years for this reason.

Think of all the colds and flu you had in your life back home, from childhood onward. Each of these left you with immunity to that particular viral strain. Now you come here where are the strains are at least a little different and you have to start to acquire immunity all over again.

Flu is an altogether different strain and season here than in the US.

In addition air pollution in some parts of Thailand (including Bangkok and Chiang Mai) is quite bad and this can irritate the respiratory tract and predispose to infection.

In addition to careful and frequent handwashing I suggest:

1- avoid tuk tuks and motorcylce taxis, exposes you directly to a lot of fumes. take taxis. Grab works here or you can flag one down.

2- take Redoxan (Vitamin C plus zinc, effervescent orange tablets you put in water) daily while here. Any pharmacy has it. Alos, bring some Zinc throat lozenges with you from US, they are hard to come by here.

3- Get flu shot if you are here between May - November which is the local flu season. It is a different vaccine than in the US, it is "Southern Hemisphere". You may be able to get it at a travel clinic in US, be sure to specify Southern Hemisphere. Otherwise get as soon as you arrive.

4- Anywhere you stay, immediately on checking in remove the a/c filter and clean it. Maintainence is poor here and you will often find the filter is filthy.

5- consider wearing a face mask if walking much in Bangkok or Chiang Mai or other congested areas.

I agree with all of us

My wife and I just returned to Thailand for the first time in 6 years

We were out in the Boonies in Isaan for 2 weeks just fine.

As soon as we both spent one night out in Bangkok, both of us developed upper respiratory problems.

Cleared up after we were back in the US for a few days.

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I agree with all of us

My wife and I just returned to Thailand for the first time in 6 years

We were out in the Boonies in Isaan for 2 weeks just fine.

As soon as we both spent one night out in Bangkok, both of us developed upper respiratory problems.

Cleared up after we were back in the US for a few days.

Same same for me, not doubt the air. 2 of my friends also developed it. Nobody comes there anymore.

I have decided if I return again I will minimize my bkk days and only travel to good air locations. Not sure exactly where that may be? Koh chiang?  I think air quality will be major detrimental factor to Thailand tourism numbers going forward.  At least  until the next major death catastrophe strikes.  

On 1/6/2020 at 8:09 AM, Elkski said:

Why do I get these? I travel with a zpack  now but didnt use it this time.

Antibiotics, aka zpacks, don't work against viruses, aka "the flu". Instead of frantically self medicating your self you should either get a clue or visit a doctor, preferable: both! You do know that taking antibiotics when you have no real need, kills half or your immune system and makes you even more vulnerable to viruses - or other bacteria? Oh, you don't? Then why the funk are you randomly using antibiotics? oh, you don't know, I forgot, that explains it ... westerners ... the stupids things on the planet.

• Confused 1

On 1/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, Onrai said:

I can’t speak for others but the hot air to cold air conditioning is a killer for me.

For me, too. So I always have a scarf and a second jacket/west with me when I travel.

3 hours ago, Enki said:

Antibiotics, aka zpacks, don't work against viruses, aka "the flu". Instead of frantically self medicating your self you should either get a clue or visit a doctor, preferable: both! You do know that taking antibiotics when you have no real need, kills half or your immune system and makes you even more vulnerable to viruses - or other bacteria? Oh, you don't? Then why the funk are you randomly using antibiotics? oh, you don't know, I forgot, that explains it ... westerners ... the stupids things on the planet.

Are you stupid?  Did you even read this before posting? Obviously not. Go away loser

Edited by Elkski

5 hours ago, Elkski said:

Are you stupid?  Did you even read this before posting? Obviously not. Go away loser

I read that you took antibiotics in a situation where they don't help but cause harm, instead of visiting a doctor.

For the sore throat symptom I have found ginger tea and honey as a good herbal remedy.  The honey coats the lining of throat, it is said to have minor anti-inflamantory properties ... All the best... eventually we get over it.

What is bothersome is the stuffy or clogged nostril...

Cheers Mates

Edited by Rhys
  • Thanks 1

You can use white tiger balm on the forehead, tip of the nose, to clean your nostrils.

Instead of just hot water with ginger, you can use green tea with ginger and honey, and even ad lime juice. 

Edited by Enki
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Enki said:

I read that you took antibiotics in a situation where they don't help but cause harm, instead of visiting a doctor.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I am the op and didnt take any antibiotics for this episode.  

I seem to be getting  better.  Still coughing up something from the lungs.  Its remaining clear  and not much. 

I have the  one going around now; Congested sinuses with blocked nose, sore throat.

Fortunately, my discharge is still clear, although I have a slight cough now. Been at this 3 days. My AC makes this worse as  I am breathing through the mouth with the blocked nose and wow what a sore throat. Fortunately, ambient humidity clears it up  within a few hours. I think the whole situation was exacerbated by the foul air quality. I am trying to limit decongestant use and was using Tylenol when I had the fever the first few days and it worked.

My sister just had this as did a number of other household members. Everyone else a normal cold. She also seemed to have a normal (but bad) cold for 4 days but then developed acute tonsillitis. Fever over 40 C, copious yellow brown phlegm, severe coughing as well as severe diarrhea and some vomiting. Had to be hospitalized. Blood tests indicated viral and she recovered with only supportive care no antibiotics.

What is going atound is viral. Secondary bacterial infection can occur, especially in people with weak immune systems or underlying pulmonary disease,  of course. But as her case demonstrates can be quite ill and it still be viral.  And viral illnesses do not need or respond to antibiotics.