Not fair! Public ripped off by big business in plastic bag ban - prices should be lowered

webfact

11 hours ago, impulse said:

And if you use them 137 times each, they'll have the same environmental impact as single use plastic bags.  Gotta look at cradle to grave.  Not just one end or the other.

Well I have been using them in Thailand for a long while and in quite a few other countries before that, probably for 10 to 15 years, so I guess I must have passed the 137 times for bag years ago but the bags are still going on. 

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

You gave me an idea.

Maybe I will buy a pack of garbage bags while shopping, then at the checkout I will open them up and load my shopping into the garbage bags while telling  them that they should really be selling me an alternative.

I'm going to do this - I forgot that they sell cheap and plentiful bags inside the store I'm shopping in, this is going to be epic ????

I will load my shopping into garbage bags at the checkout.

Good for you. Will you keep using the same garbage bags until they fall apart and then dispose of them properly?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I love it when people who live like THIS tell the rest of us to cut back in our lives: Image result for sir david attenborough's home

1.  The family bought the home back in the 1870's.  Can hardly be attributed to Sir David.

2.  Sir David Attenborough was drawing attention to several reports regarding pollution.  

Clutching at straws again (plastic ones) to further your impossible argument.

• Like 1

That is Thai mind-set, greedy, any excuse to make a fast buck is jumped upon even if it involves selling granny. ????

Money is more important than the enviroment, human / animal rights, lives plus so much more, in the land of ...........?

T.I.T

I'm all for getting rid of the plastic and going back to paper or cloth. Yesterday at BigC, I noticed they had heavier plastic bags for sale if you didn't bring something. What a joke! Thais that run sewing shops should be cashing in on cloth bags at this moment. Why are these stores selling plastic bags as replacements for plastic bags?!!

10 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Well, it appears to be mostly natural materials at least.

Lots of chimneys to pump out piles of CO2 just to keep Davey all warm and toasty. But no plastics bags for YOU! Oh, and by the way, he wants YOU to pay more for airline tickets, too.

20 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I'm all for getting rid of the plastic and going back to paper or cloth. Yesterday at BigC, I noticed they had heavier plastic bags for sale if you didn't bring something. What a joke! Thais that run sewing shops should be cashing in on cloth bags at this moment. Why are these stores selling plastic bags as replacements for plastic bags?!!

Because these thicker plastic bags can be recycled whereas the thin ones can't and finish up as flotsam around the country and more often than not finish up in the sea .  Well not in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Lots of chimneys to pump out piles of CO2 just to keep Davey all warm and toasty.

Based on his documentaries and various interviews, on with Barrack Obama, his house does not use fossil fuels.  Surprise surprise.  

He's not a person that would blatantly shoot himself in the foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guys...let's get back on track.

This thread is not about protecting the environment. We all want to reduce plastic and protect the environment. This is about understanding who is benefitting from the millions saved by no longer having to provide bags.  That money should go to the people who are being inconvenienced by the policy. It should not go into the profits of the uber wealthy who are pushing for it under the guise of helping the environment.

Anyone who genuinely wants to protect the environment should recognize that the best way to accomplish their goal is to give people something to protect the environment. That creates good will. Instead, this "no bag" scam is all about punishing the ordinary person and giving the profits to wealthy retail chains.

I have proposed a very workable scheme that also incorporates "no bags" (Post #60) but makes sure the profits that come from eliminating bags get returned to those who don't use bags. It accomplishes everything this "no bag" scam does, but returns the cash savings to the consumers. To those who support this implementation of the "no bag" scam. I ask a question. Do you really want to protect the environment, or do you possibly own stock in major retail chains and want to see your investments go up in value?

We should all get behind Khun Srisuwan Janya and make sure the people really understand what is happening here. Everyone will accept "no bags" if they get the savings from no bags.

Nobody is going to accept doing all the work while the major chains get all the rewards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Statement from the government:

Since the launch of the campaign in 2019, Thailand has managed to reduce single-use plastic bags by more than 2 billion, or by 5.7 million kilograms, valued around 400 million baht. Much of the money saved has been donated to hospitals, particularly in a campaign started last year by CP All, the owners of the 7-Eleven franchise in Thailand.

CPAll went further in stating amounts and naming the hospitals they have donated to.  As I've said before, if the hospitals were not receiving these donations, surely they would say so.

What we don't know is whether the FULL amount of the saving has been donated or just a portion of it.  That would require audited accounts.

However, I'm hopeful that the statements are true and hospitals are benefiting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monomial said:

And who decided that hospital should get the money? And what benefit did CPAll get in return to their corporate image?  What you are citing there is called "greenwashing" and corporations do it all the time. They donate sums in order to bolster their corporate image and try and give the impression they aren't as evil as they truly are.

Don't get me wrong. If an individual wants to give money from his or her personal wealth, that is a good thing. When a corporation does it however, it is very, very suspect.  Certainly not something we should applaud.  And certainly not something that justifies the profits they are earning from this policy.

What you are saying is true. But you are surmising/assuming.  We don't know that these retailers profited other than promoting their public image (nothing wrong with that). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they are NOT profiting financially.

Until there is evidence to the contrary, I will keep an open mind.

Edited by HHTel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

What you are saying is true. But you are surmising/assuming.  We don't know that these retailers profited other than promoting their public image (nothing wrong with that). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they are NOT profiting financially.

Until there is evidence to the contrary, I will keep an open mind.

I am not assuming anything. Greenwashing is a well know corporate tactic. If they want to give fine. But that does not make it OK for them to make windfall profits and then say "Our profits are OK because we are donating."  The two are not connected. Return those profits to those who are making the effort. Nobody but the consumer who is making the effort has the right to say where those profits go.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either intentionally naive, or actively benefitting from the scam.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gaikhao said:

Not gulliuble, just  socially responsible. The compliants coming are just so petty. No one is scamming. If you don't like the prices, go and take your business elsewhere. If you start paying for your trash bags, perhaps you will understand your costs and will act to minimize waste.

What I am reading in this thread are a bunch of clueless elderly folks complaining because of inevitable change. Uneducated, people living on the margins of society lashing out  at anything "different". Thailand is catching up with the west and  developed Asia.  Get with the program or just go back to sittung on the stoop of your home yelling at passing traffic like crazy old codgers that the local kids avoid.

We are all socially responsible. You don't get to claim moral superiority. You are just gullible.

If you think as you say, then you aren't reading very carefully.  Most people who oppose this profit grab by major retail corporations are doing it exactly because we understand how untrustworthy and devious the retailers truly are.

What I read when I see people actually supporting this policy is either 1) (in your words) a bunch of clueless, elderly (or not so elderly...just gullible) folks blindly throwing away their money on a blatant misrepresentation, or 2) a bunch of people with a financial interest in profiting from the scam.

Anyone who genuinely cares about the environment would be trying to work with those who recognize the scam, rather than disparaging anyone enlightened enough to see what is really going on.

Edited by Monomial
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2020 at 3:20 PM, tropo said:

It would probably depend on the motorcycle in question and the size of the hooks. For me, the old plastic bags are way easier as you can hang a lot more on one small hook, and big cloth bags hand too low off the sides.

There's no problem with packing, just that if you observe the checkouts now, you'll see most people packing their own items into their boxes and bags. They most definitely have less work to do. I don't see why you're comparing the situation now with with before the plastic ban came in.... where is the logic in that. Previously the staff did 100% of the packing.

Yes. Lazy  baskets !  Inadequate  alternatives in choice of  baggage !  Terrible ! A dramatic impact on a  supreme  lifestyle! And hooks!  Hang  high...hang  low. Traumatic! We are  doomed! Doomed I say !

12 minutes ago, fruitman said:

No we pay for that, like all houses here do....YOU must be special if you don't order that service and burn it in the backyard.

No we don't have it available here wish I did cause I would gladly pay for it instead of having to burn it