'Robin Hood' American arrested on three year overstay

webfact

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

This is incorrect.

He is in fact cheating the government out of money by not paying for his Visa.

Kind of like not paying your taxes which in some countries will land you in jail.

For that, I agree with you, and you are a thousand times right this highwayman who hid in the forest pretending to be Robin Hood instead of paying the 1900 baht that we all pay for our extension annually, which amounts to stealing, yes I mean stealing from the state of this country 158 Baht per month, even more than that 158.33 Baht every single month. As you said so well: "Kind of like not paying your taxes which in some countries will land you in jail" And it is there that he should be this thief, this thief of the Thai state, if everyone did like him the country would be in ruins !

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Anyone who is supportive of these overstayers hope you don't complain when they tighten up the rules.

30 or 60 day reporting in the future?  You never know what these selfish criminals may cause..

On the contrary it's people who are in favour of crackdowns and the criminalisation of previously trivial offences who are the ones driving this culture of ever tightening rules. 

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok, I am all for people following the rules when it comes to visa, but at times must have compassion and common sense . Guy is the end of his life, clearly not well off , not a burden on society or government , most certainly not taking away any jobs or a criminal. How about being compassionate to find out why he overstayed, and perhaps fine him and offer some solutions instead of locking up and sending back as if he was some kind of international gun runner 

Compassion versus bravado in the news for arresting a foreigner?

Thai's seem to get a kick whenever they can arrest a foreigner as if saying we caught you, we are above you.

Thailand has no idea what compassion is and never will.

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I can’t see any other ways than enforcing or not enforcing. 

During the Thaksin years overstay was never a problem, now all of a sudden, under the military government it is a problem.

Why is that?

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

On the contrary it's people who are in favour of crackdowns and the criminalisation of previously trivial offences who are the ones driving this culture of ever tightening rules. 

Not IME. My Thai friends are extremly embarrassed and aplogetic of the "crackdowns" and lay the blame squarely on the government.

5 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

I guess the Million Dollar question is would you want people living in your home country outside of the visa requirements ??

They do all over the world.

We know a bunch of Thai over stayers in the USA. Overstayed years. 

Why aren't they rounded up and sent back same as is done in Thailand

9 hours ago, madmen said:

So your gonna pay his next hospital emergency then? nope didnt think so !

just another law breaking grub and a burden to Thai society

Your gonna pay? You didn't think so? What a kind person you are.

How much do you know about the guy's life and why he's on overstay? 

8 hours ago, legend49 said:

So the first slip up was 3 weeks ago when head Muppet of BIB told his staff to go easy on farang tourists we want their money. Now he says the Junta trough feeders want us out. Must make it a hard job for TAT.

Look to the future , in five years time,  will Junta want us,  here or out . 

Have a plan B,  essential for the farlang/alien ..

38 minutes ago, swisstree said:

In Europe Illégal immigrantS get accommodation, food, insurance , school and don’t need to work. In Thailand they ask nothing but to spend money and they kick them out. I wish we had those immigrants here in Europe 

What are you doing in Thailand then , go to a European country other than your own, Spain is nice this time of the year, and i hear the free paella is delicious.

2 hours ago, daftdada said:

"racism" is America's national religion. That's all that is put forth by American mainstream press.

"All" is a very big category.  I'm sure you've heard the US mainstream press report on and discuss political turmoil there?

It seems you're sensitive to racism topics and TV readers are very sensitive to Thai immigration topics and policies.  This leads to broad generalizations, which in turn leads to polarization.  In fact there are broad swaths of policies where most are somewhat in agreement, differing on details.  Best for all to temper their statements and avoid categorizing groups and institutions.

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Overstaying your visa has got to be the pettiest of crimes, totally victimless, yet they trot out the top brass and call in a photographer whenever they catch someone doing it.

I think if overstay is that serious Thailand should stop letting in foreigners altogether as otherwise there is always the risk that someone might overstay.

Smart guy, if you have the funds just have fun and when you get caught pay the fine and go home. Saved his self three years of nonsense.

9 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not IME. My Thai friends are extremly embarrassed and aplogetic of the "crackdowns" and lay the blame squarely on the government. 

Well, those in favour of the crackdowns are either in the government or supportive of it (though there's an alarming number of wannabe traffic wardens right here on the forum).

Good to hear your Thai friends have a bit of nous anyway. 

19 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok, I am all for people following the rules when it comes to visa, but at times must have compassion and common sense . Guy is the end of his life, clearly not well off , not a burden on society or government , most certainly not taking away any jobs or a criminal. How about being compassionate to find out why he overstayed, and perhaps fine him and offer some solutions instead of locking up and sending back as if he was some kind of international gun runner 

International gun runners stay with the blessing of those mentioned in the op, a small fee maybe involved.

Shame UK/Europe doesn't adopt the same policy as Thailand, which seem to be more efficient at processing criminals who break the immigration law.

The law is pretty clear,  and it's your responsibility to make sure you keep to the stipulations 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, webfact said:

everyone from the prime minister down wanted to rid Thailand of foreign lawbreakers and those taking Thai jobs

Focus on this: this crackdown has nothing to do with old white guys on overstay. They're collateral damage. The focus is on Asian nationals illegally working here (tourism, online gambling, online scamming etc). Primarily that means Chinese.

i feel sorry for the old sod, forced to go back to his country probably nowhere to go.

but i do understand the changing immigration attitude. expats in thailand(in general, not all, but as a group) are the most brutal negative and cynical expats you can imagine, absolutely no understanding or respect for their chosen new home country. Trashing misunderstanding and disrespecting just everything thai seems to be the way to deal with ones own low esteem and selfdisrespect. 

i briefly lived in japan, what a difference and how it should be; expats love their noew home country, learn the language, the culture, great efforts to understand their new country, positivity. 

Here the expats behave its their own country and the thais are just their staff. 

Personally i think reeducation camps would be a solution..

anyway, i understand why expats dont get a fuzzy welcome anymore. maybe if we expats make efforts to be more positive and better integrate, in a decade or so we will be more welcome again. ????

There are many expat over-stayers hiding out under the radar in the Na Klua area of Pattaya city including the dark-side of Pattaya. 

Tne over stayers should be reported, caught imprissoned and / or deported, 

Over stayers are spongers making life harder and more expensive for those expats that are doing the lawful and right thing.

Well I am afraid these are the rules for nearly every country i know No visa no stay Looks likes Robin Hood wont be riding through the glen anymore but riding on a plane home. Rules are rules and if you make  allowence for one then you must break rules  for others Sad but that is life. Bye Robin

On 1/7/2020 at 5:55 AM, BestB said:

We all know that most Thai people working for immigration or government are not aloud to use their brains, maybe also for the better. 

Archived