American Thai Wife Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa Questions...

"Thai Marriage Visa"

American Citizen with Thai wife.

According to the Thai Consulate-Los Angeles website, all I need for a one year visa is the following

Documents Required for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Thai Family):

1. Passport, not expiring within 6 months, with at least one blank page

2. One copy of your Passport

3. Visa application form completely filled out in black and blue ink

4. Two recent passport-size photographs (2″x2″), light background, no hat, shoulders covered

5. A copy of flight reservation, showing going from US to Thailand 

6. A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) 

$1500usd = 45,460.50B @ 30.31 rate

1. Copy of marriage license 

2. Copy of wife's Thai passport or Thai identification card

3. Letter from your spouse indicating that you both are still married and she acknowledges your visit.

4. Money order payable to “Royal Thai Consulate” for $80 (single entry) or $200 (multiple entries)

Period of stay: not exceeding 90 days.

Validity of a visa:

Single entry: 3 months

Multiple entries: 1 year

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

QUESTIONS:

1) Is this information old and outdated?  If so, do you have a link to the latest info?

2) What happened to the 400K Baht bank account requirement?

3) What happened to the health insurance requirement?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

I believe that is a multiple entry visa so you must leave the country every 90 days. With the 400k requirement, you do not have to leave every 90 days. I don't have either visa so will leave someone else to explain in more detail.

6. You would only need to show $700 dollars. Tha is per person that are applying for a visa not for all of those that might be traveling with you.

1.It appears to up to date.

2. Not asked for at the consulate for a non-o visa.

3. Insurance is only needed for a Non-OA visa application.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

2) 400K baht in a Thai bank account is only necessary when applying at an Immigration Office within the country of Thailand for a 1-year permission stay based on marriage to a Thai citizen or being the parent of a Thai citizen. 

3) Health Insurance is required for those who obtained an OA visa which is based on retirement for people over 50.   The information you listed is for an entirely different visa type (O visa based on Thai family).  There is no insurance requirement for any of the different O visas (family, retirement, volunteer, etc.).  

13 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

As already explained item 11 stated that the period of stay is for 90 days.  The 400,000THB and Health Insurance are required in order to extend for a year. 

no health insurance required for married extensions or visas

13 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

As already explained item 11 stated that the period of stay is for 90 days.  The 400,000THB and Health Insurance are required in order to extend for a year. 

No insurance is required for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

22 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Incorrect info > correct info below:

Health insurance is ONLY required when:

- applying for a Non Imm OA (long-stay) Visa in your home-country;

- extending your permission to stay based on an original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT (not required when extending your original OA Visa for reason of marriage).

51 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I believe that is a multiple entry visa so you must leave the country every 90 days. With the 400k requirement, you do not have to leave every 90 days. I don't have either visa so will leave someone else to explain in more detail.

The Multiple Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa is valid for a full year from date of issue.  During the Visa validity you can enter/re-enter Thailand as much as you like (no need for re-entry permits).  However, you are only allowed stays of max 90 days, after which you have to leave Thailand.  A simple same-day borderrun would suffice to get stamped in again for your next 90 days.  When timed right you can squeeze almost 17 months out of the Visa (by exiting and re-entering just before expiry of the Visa validity).  And it can be extended for 2 months at the end of every 90-day entry, which would also bring the required border-runs down.

The Single Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa is valid for only 90 days from date of issue.  As it is single entry you would need re-entry permits when wanting to exit/re-enter Thailand during that period.

At the end of the 90 days the Visa provides, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay at the local IO of the place where you want to stay long-term.  The requirements for doing so include financials to be proved (see attached),

Once an extension of stay of your O Visa you only need to do your 90-day reports (which can be done on-line).

1122881058_MarriageExtensionRequirements2.pdf

Edited by Peter Denis

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Insurance not needed for marriage visa

I am a US citizen (not an "American") with Thai wife and a Non-Imm O Visa based on Family.

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) Is this information old and outdated?  If so, do you have a link to the latest info?

- That doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the requirements of the consulate (Los Angeles?) where you are going to apply for the visa. I have lots of links to lots of info on this and it's all different.

- Again, it doesn't matter as long as the consulate issuing the visa doesn't care. For you information, I just got my visa in Vientiane, Laos, and no proof of income or money in the bank was required. It will be, however, when you apply for a One-year Stay Extension, if you intend to do that.

- Health insurance is not and never was required for an O visa -- only an OA.

Good luck!

Edited by billsmart
typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

There's no need for a health insurance in this case. That's only for an O-A Visa obtained in your home country.