PEA Multiplier

Refresh

Hi

I got a new meter as the house was complete so the temporary power supply was replaced.  PEA also installed a transformer (that I paid for).  Now the bill takes the kWh on the meter and applies a multiplier of 30.  Does anyone know why? I thought I would pay for the kWh.

Thanks for your help. PEA_Bill.thumb.jpg.f529b9ef660375dfebe2688a52e22f6a.jpg

Good and interesting question..

56kWh used from 0 (new meter) to 56 at meter reading.

Using the multiplier it went to 1680kWh

You are in Scheme 2 with PEA

PEA.

Their tariffs documents notes:

Applicable to businesses, businesses with residential, industrials, government institutions, local authorities, state enterprises,
embassies, establishments related to foreign countries or international organizations, and so on, including their compound with the
maximum of an average integrated demand of energy in 15 minutes lower than 30 kW., through a single Watt-hour meter.

2.1.1 At voltage level 22 - 33 kV. 3.9086 bath/kWh and monthly service charge fee 312.24

Note: 3. If the maximum of an average integrated demand of energy in 15 minutes is equal to 30 kW. or over, the customer will
be classified under the schedule 3 – 5 depend on the case

If I look at schedule 3

voltage level 22 - 33 kV. demand rate bath/kW 196.26

voltage level lower than 22 kV. demand rate bath/kW 221.50

Nothing about the multiplier so far in the documents that I found on their web, both English and Thai.

My first thoughts were perhaps you did use more then 30kW in 15 minutes, but the overall numbers doesn't add so it has to be a part of the used 56kWh that was used in a time period of 15 minutes.

Example: 200kW usage for 15 minutes and 6 kWh in normal demand will get you 56kWh in total but billed with the extra demand cost.

200kW is a lot, perhaps a short in the transformer by installation error.

The best; go to the PEA office and ask them for clarification.

Perhaps not the case here but worth mentioning.

A friend down south has the same, after building his home a new meter was placed.

They lost the data, or actually the meter itself, from the temporary meter.

The PEA 'fixed' this solution with agreement of him to calculate the first month with multiplier 20.

He has his temporary meter for 10 months.

Sounds fair, the unit price is 6.8 Baht per kWh for temporary meter and the normal rate around 3.4 (under 100kWh/months)

Edited by Metropolitian
dots

I would certainly be talking to PEA.

How big is your home (needed a transformer)? A 5/15 meter would normally be thought of as supplying a small shack.

Is this actually HV metering (22-33kV) via a VT and CT pair using a 5/15 CT meter? The transformers would account for the multiplier.

@Refresh please can you post a photo of the meter and transformer.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.  When I had the temporary supply charged at over 7 baht a kWh I was sure getting the permanent supply at 3.9 baht a unit would pretty much half my bill - I have used (in my opinion) less electricity than normal since I was away for 2 weeks over Christmas and shut the pool down, no air con or lights - total blackout - yet my bill was over 7,000 baht (normally I was paying 5-6,000 a month with the odd month touching 8,000.

Here are the pictures of the meter and the transformer - for me I am confused why the meter is 'small' amp rating and the house is over 1,000m2 with 15 aircon (although I have never used more than 2 at once!) Previously the multiplier on my bills was zero (on the temp supply).

meter.jpg

20200109_113938.jpg

They also charged a good deal to install the poles and the cables - they refused to underground the cables so my neighbours have a 'pretty view'...they also didnt want to put in 3 phase - so I now have the same supply as before except that I have a transformer and I pay a huge multiplier that I dont really understand 

27 minutes ago, Refresh said:

my bill - I have used (in my opinion) less electricity than normal since I was away for 2 weeks over Christmas and shut the pool down, no air con or lights - total blackout - yet my bill was over 7,000 baht (normally I was paying 5-6,000 a month with the odd month touching 8,000.

Here are the pictures of the meter and the transformer - for me I am confused why the meter is 'small' amp rating and the house is over 1,000m2 with 15 aircon (although I have never used more than 2 at once!) Previously the multiplier on my bills was zero (on the temp supply).

6000 Baht minus the tax and service fee would be around 5250 for electricity. That divided by 7 is 750 kWh. Two aircons running 8hr/day 3kWh*8=720kWh/month.

Sums up pretty good and for the meter is indeed small but for a continuous demand for the aircon (mostly two of them at max) it is decently sized, but if you use more then that meter would be pretty small. You did mention a pool, does it have a heavy pump and are you using heaters in showers? All that add up.

You were out 2 weeks over Christmas, but the bill is for 24th November to 16th of December.

35 minutes ago, Refresh said:

have a transformer and I pay a huge multiplier that I dont really understand 

The PEA could explain this at the best.

527698525_Screenshot_2020-01-0920200109_113938jpg549439c4314febac9bade5607e2a63cbjpg(JPEGImage30244032pixels)-Scaled(2....png.104f70fe5077735f62a92be44045b8f4.png

(crossy) I couldn't stop seeing it, but that ''spark gap'' between the center lines. It's 230 volt but with heavy rain or humidity, isn't it better that 2nd clamp bolted like the 1st , pointing leftwards?

48 minutes ago, Refresh said:

They also charged a good deal to install the poles and the cables - they refused to underground the cables so my neighbours have a 'pretty view'...they also didnt want to put in 3 phase - so I now have the same supply as before except that I have a transformer and I pay a huge multiplier that I dont really understand 

What is the story why you (need) have an transformer? As you had a temporary meter before which worked out fine, and to what were they connected.

What I see now is a single HV line and a taped neutral (transformer has only one insulated stick pointing up), but no 'regular' 230 volt lines in the pole.

So I can assume the temporary meter was connected to another power line up the road, and the pole is all new with only one HV line and the transformer just for you?

Perhaps, you were asking for three phase and they thought you be a customer with high demand thus giving this solution (less voltage drop at distance at moments of high demands) instead of laying three phases.

• Like 1

Obviously a mistake somewhere in PEA.  Your meter should be at least 15/45.  You need to get to PEA with the photos and paperwork you have ASAP.  

And, don't forget to smile back at them.  ????

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Refresh said:

I am confused why the meter is 'small' amp rating and the house is over 1,000m2 with 15 aircon (although I have never used more than 2 at once!) Previously the multiplier on my bills was zero (on the temp supply).

With that usage you are almost certainly often using in excess of the accuracy guaranteed 15A so the meter is likely to be inaccurate, and you can be certain that it’s not going to be reading low. So that is probably a part of the cause.