Trump avoids escalating crisis after Iranian missile attacks

webfact

Interesting take on how fake news can be useful sometimes.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/fake-news-might-have-allowed-iran-and-the-u-s-to-avoid-an-all-out-war.html

Note also the 45 pattern of creating a crisis and then taking a victory lap for diffusing it. He does that again and again and the only people that are impressed by that are cult of personality fans.

I don't think Iran has finished their response. This was significant because it was directly from Iran with no proxy and yes it's obvious they intentionally avoided casualties (but that was hardly assured so there was some luck in that).

I would expect continued proxy actions from Iran in multiple locations which they can claim deniability such as the attack on Saudi oil. But they'll probably cool it for awhile. It's true they are not prepared for a full on conventional war with the U.S. and certainly don't want that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chokrai said:

When you make statements like this then I just have to think that everything you say is just as ridiculous. Accusing Trump of being loyal to Putin is TDS plain and simple. 

Well, maybe if Trump took Putin's word about Russia's interference in the US elections over that of 17 US intelligence agencies Jingthing might have a point. But clearly that's nuts.

• Haha 1

This opinion piece sums the sorry situation up nicely. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hey-republicans-demagoguery-wont-hide-trumps-incoherence/2020/01/08/6ce30a4a-325b-11ea-91fd-82d4e04a3fac_story.html

Hey Republicans, demagoguery won’t hide Trump’s incoherence

President Trump’s incoherent recklessness is not the only problem for U.S. foreign policy dramatized this week. Also troubling is the eagerness of Republicans to fall in behind whatever he does and turn to demagoguery to paint his political opponents as traitors, a term Trump regularly deploys himself.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This opinion piece sums the sorry situation up nicely. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hey-republicans-demagoguery-wont-hide-trumps-incoherence/2020/01/08/6ce30a4a-325b-11ea-91fd-82d4e04a3fac_story.html

Hey Republicans, demagoguery won’t hide Trump’s incoherence

President Trump’s incoherent recklessness is not the only problem for U.S. foreign policy dramatized this week. Also troubling is the eagerness of Republicans to fall in behind whatever he does and turn to demagoguery to paint his political opponents as traitors, a term Trump regularly deploys himself.

didn't see or hear any incoherence.

Just saw a prez who stated his views very clearly

if ur confused that's on u WAPO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I sincerely hope that your include right wing terrorists who commit much more killings than radical Muslims terrorists in USA. Just to put things in the right perspective. Seem that kind of divisiveness has intensified under Trump, 

I never said Muslims, I said terrorists  from Iran as in the one that just got executed for plotting and killing Americans! 

The Mullahs encourage these plots against Americans,well before Mr. Trump.  

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

A weakened position where they can blow away an American airbase anytime they want.. This entire episode has been a rude-awakening to Iran's strike capability.

The Russians in in the region have 1 base in Syria, near a naval port and defended by S-300, S-400, & Pantasir SAMs..

The US coalition in the gulf region is spread to thinly, a few months ago it was hastely abandoning bases in Syria to the SAA after a Turkish offensive, now this.

All bases in Iraq & Syria should immediatly be abandoned and bases in in the gulf states be deefended, no more wasting resources on kurdish mercenaries and stealing syrian oil .. 

Well, Trump has now avoided WW3 at least three times -- first vs North Korea, then vs China because of his trade policy, now vs Iran.  He's also avoided economic collapse at least once every six months of his time in office -- as the markets now reach new all-time highs and wages on Main Street continue to rise.  That damn Trump.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricohoc said:

Well, Trump has now avoided WW3 at least three times -- first vs North Korea, then vs China because of his trade policy, now vs Iran.  He's also avoided economic collapse at least once every six months of his time in office -- as the markets now reach new all-time highs and wages on Main Street continue to rise.  That damn Trump.

Indeed I am sick of all this winning.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.11.48 PM.png

• Like 2