Priorities?

sambum

3 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I think many countries will prosecute people without valid visa. Why should Thailand be different? Simply look that that you have a valid visa and there will be no problems. 

Yes, very good point.

I also think US should charge every one of their citizens for visiting girly bar establishments for human trafficking, but they don't.

Wonder why genius? 

• Confused 10
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I think many countries will prosecute people without valid visa. Why should Thailand be different? Simply look that that you have a valid visa and there will be no problems. 

"While I agree that this is illegal" - the post is about priorities!

7 minutes ago, Beggar said:

6 minutes ago, Beggar said:

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, samsensam said:

and eliminating proper crime and violence, rather than hounding people who are already here?  

do you have a definition for 'proper' crime as opposed to 'improper' crime?!

can you give examples where people are being hounded? i've never met anyone here complaining about being hounded by the authorities

if you dont want to do the time, don't do the crime. get the appropriate visa. common sense. easy.

"While I agree that this is illegal,"  - the post is about priorities!

Point taken re "proper" and "improper" - would "serious crime" be more acceptable to you?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

I have the feeling that they find many of such overstayers because the did something wrong like not paying bills or working without work permit. I guess if they actively look for overstayers their success rate might be much higher. 

Or fell out with their neighbours! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

Thailand is already a pretty unique, attractive and easy going place, this is the attraction for 30 to 40 million visitors every year.

Imagine the visa clamp downs and immigration controls started after some of those terrorist events in Bangkok carried out by foreign nationals.

The Thai authorities are simply not going to ease their way of managing foreign visitors in Thailand and are not hounding anybody.

"Thailand is already a pretty unique, attractive and easy going place"

Are you suggesting that it is getting/going to be getting even more easy going than it was in the past?

"Imagine the visa clamp downs and immigration controls started after some of those terrorist events in Bangkok carried out by foreign nationals."

Regarding the 2015 terrorist attack on the Erawan Shrine, no one has claimed responsibility, but :- "The government has implicated a range of (other) suspects in the bombing, mostly Thai opponents of the military regime.[11]

Regarding the 2019 bombings, it would appear that the perpetrators were also Thai, i.e.  

the insurgent was orchestrated to create a situation to embarrassed the government as the city hosted ASEAN summit7]Chief Police Chaktip Chaijinda also believe that the motives behind the attack was believed to be political related, as Thailand held its first general election in March since the 2014 Thai coup d'état.[17][18][19] Nonetheless, many government opposition believe that this attacks was responsible by the government itself in order to divert the public attention on the current poor public image of the government.[20]

So which are the "terrorist events that were carried out by foreign nationals"? It would appear that most of the troubles in Bangkok are carried out by Thais themselves - either pro or anti Government supporters, as in all the pre coup troubles in Bangkok. 

Also, bear in mind that many other countries have experienced terrorist attacks, but do not make such a song and dance about "overstayers", but prefer to work towards finding and apprehending the perpetrators of terrorism.

"The Thai authorities are simply not going to ease their way of managing foreign visitors in Thailand and are not hounding anybody."

I presume that you mean "ease their way off", and in that you are probably right, but "not hounding anybody"? Try asking any expat that has been living here for a number of years if things have got easier or more difficult for them in the past 5 years!!! 

Edited by sambum

16 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The BIB always go for the low hanging fruit.

Apparently Thai Visa has become the hub of low hanging fruit if so many posters feel  police are giving them grief.

The Thai police seem to spend a lot of time tracking down and extraditing foreign criminals who slip through the fingers of the foreign governments who have to request Thai help.  More low hanging fruit?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

Well put Sir, too many people come here trying to compare Thailand with western countries, and look for excuses to put it down every chance they get. The only problems here are the ones we make for ourselves, although I understand blaming others is part of human nature. Immigration are doing the same job as their counterparts in any country and overstaying your visa status is a crime everywhere the only difference is how it is handled.

One word brother, "acceptance". ????

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sambum said:

seeing headlines of Immigration busting more people for "overstay" and then jailed and deported- sometimes for just a few days. 

Clearly a hysterical exaggeration of reality.

i wonder if those who overstay by hundreds of days or multiple years are , by any definition, tourists or if they are making any meaningful contribution to the economy.

As someone else said, many of those found to be on overstay were detained for "proper" crimes and coincidentally found to be on overstay.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sambum said:

people for "overstay" and then jailed and deported- sometimes for just a few days. 

It is just a reminder to those who plan to stay more than the "date stamp" in their pass.  ???? ???? since there are thousands of visitors every month.  

The job of immigration police is to find people breaking the law so they ARE doing what they should be doing. That’s no different from any other country. I had an Australian friend who was caught by UK immigration for overstaying, he was taken to a detention centre and deported.

I don’t see why anybody should be allowed to overstay except on medical grounds or some other exceptional circumstance.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, samsensam said:

can you give examples where people are being hounded? i've never met anyone here complaining about being hounded by the authorities

Agree.

Compared to immigrations in farang countries, things in Thailand are hardly aggressive for the majority of farang..

in in the US, aside from putting children in cages and attempting to ban all people of a certain religious belief or deporting adults who have legally resided in the US almost their entire lives, immigrations has begun detaining Americans attempting to return to the US. Not immigrants or foreign tourists, but US passport carrying Americans of. Iranian descent.

Remniscent of Japanese Americans being put in concentration camps during WW II. ... Not German Americans, just Japanese.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has opened a civil rights inquiry into allegations that up to 100 Iranian-born travellers, many of them U.S. and Canadian citizens, were detained at British Columbia’s Peace Arch border crossing over the weekend.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6392055/us-investigating-allegations-iranian-american-travellers-detained/

Edited by Suradit69