Priorities?

sambum

21 hours ago, Beggar said:

I think many countries will prosecute people without valid visa. Why should Thailand be different? Simply look that that you have a valid visa and there will be no problems. 

Exactly, I don't think it's ok to overstay in the US, for example. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pravda said:

Yes, very good point.

I also think US should charge every one of their citizens for visiting girly bar establishments for human trafficking, but they don't.

Wonder why genius? 

You do know what The Immigration Police are supposed to do for a living? Don't confuse speeding or double parking with visa matters. What does US immigration think about overstay? 

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

The job of immigration police is to find people breaking the law so they ARE doing what they should be doing. That’s no different from any other country. I had an Australian friend who was caught by UK immigration for overstaying, he was taken to a detention centre and deported.

I don’t see why anybody should be allowed to overstay except on medical grounds or some other exceptional circumstance.

OK. But what about the policing on the roads? If, I emphasis if, what you are saying is true, then why can't Thailand  police it's roads as well as they police immigration, it would sure cut down on the road carnage.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK. But what about the policing on the roads? If, I emphasis if, what you are saying is true, then why can't Thailand  police it's roads as well as they police immigration, it would sure cut down on the road carnage.

They don't police the roads and they don't police immigration.

What they both appear to do is extort money from the people they should be serving and protecting.

If you can afford the bribe, it appears you can do what you like (including killing their employees).

I back my claim up by citing the Red Bull heir, and the drunken actress that killed the parked police officer.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/killing-cop-car-crash-actress-goes-drunk-crashing-rampage-nightclub/

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

I think many countries will prosecute people without valid visa

Yes just tell them to come to the USA where we will give them free education, medical care, a drivers license, food stamps, and of course housing assistance.  We will even let them vote. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, sambum said:

We are visitors to this country, and as such, do not really have a voice in the way the country is run, but if Thailand is trying to promote tourism (As the Chief of Immigration put it - "because we need their money") then surely the emphasis should be on making the country a more attractive place to visit, and eliminating proper crime and violence, rather than hounding people who are already here?

Isn't that what they are doing – "bad guys out, good guys in" – so they can get real quality tourists to visit the country.

I cannot see the problem, there are rules, and if we "visitors to this country" that wish to stay here, we simply follow the rules, as we "do not really have a voice in the way the country is run". If we disagree, we can just return to our home country. By the way, I presume there are also rules to follow there...????

It seems like Thailand has huge resources of kind immigration staff and like police – and military as well – so there might be enough personel to follow up on both this and that – not like in my Scandinavian home country, where often nothing happens if it's not serious – and I've always been treated very polite, fair, and well by the authorities in Thailand, including immigration staff and police, and the latter is always available for immediate assistance...????

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Traffic police and immigration police... not the same thing. I’m not disagreeing with you on the desperate need to improve driving standards but it’s a separate issue

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, khunPer said:

and I've always been treated very polite, fair, and well by the authorities in Thailand, including immigration staff and police, and the latter is always available for immediate assistance...????

You have, I have too but many haven’t and when they tell us about their negative experiences here I don’t disbelieve them. You shouldn’t assume that because YOU haven’t had a bad experience that everything is perfect.

• Like 2

For the numerous posters on here who seem intent on pointing out to me that Police and Immigration have different jobs, I would ask them to read my post properly before commenting i.e.:-

"Every day we seem to be seeing headlines of Immigration busting more people for "overstay" and then jailed and deported- sometimes for just a few days. While I agree that this is illegal, surely there are more important things for the Police and Immigration to concentrate on,"

I was implying that people on a few days overstay should be further down the list of priorities for the Police and Immigration - surely for instance, illegal immigrants peddling drugs, and child trafficking should take precedence, but while we do hear of occasional "busts", nothing compared to the almost daily reporting of someone else being caught and jailed for overstay. 

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Yes just tell them to come to the USA where we will give them free education, medical care, a drivers license, food stamps, and of course housing assistance.  We will even let them vote. 

Sadly for them Germany is too far away for Mexicans and others that try to live in the US. Germany is the real paradise for refugees. They even will search for you with their ships and bring you for free to their country. 

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Isn't that what they are doing – "bad guys out, good guys in" – so they can get real quality tourists to visit the country.

I cannot see the problem, there are rules, and if we "visitors to this country" that wish to stay here, we simply follow the rules, as we "do not really have a voice in the way the country is run". If we disagree, we can just return to our home country. By the way, I presume there are also rules to follow there...????

It seems like Thailand has huge resources of kind immigration staff and like police – and military as well – so there might be enough personel to follow up on both this and that – not like in my Scandinavian home country, where often nothing happens if it's not serious – and I've always been treated very polite, fair, and well by the authorities in Thailand, including immigration staff and police, and the latter is always available for immediate assistance...????

"we can just return to our home country."

Another member of the "If you don't like it, go home club"!

So we're not allowed to voice our opinion if it gives a negative impression of Thailand - I thought Thailand had just had a "democratic" election? 

Any where in the world you have to apply visiting right that has rules if you will to stay, However Thailand if been vetted by a Thai embassy means nothing with comes to Immigration Cops from ninety day wonders. Just one minute out of favor with the rules you will be paraded to the public and punished, unless you pay a bride. Further if you do your duty and report can be exposed to be kicked out of Thailand or pay a Bride as no Cashiers at any Immigration offices of Thailand. No longer will you be allow to ever go to a toilet 12 hours away from your hotel without telling someone to come watch! The hoarseness of Immigration can destroy your feelings living in Thailand to kill ones self  with no regards to life of long stayers Rest in peace my friend, Ray Davey

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Unless they’re kids in which case you put them in cages once you’ve taken them from their parents

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, Pravda said:

Yes, very good point.

I also think US should charge every one of their citizens for visiting girly bar establishments for human trafficking, but they don't.

Wonder why genius? 

Because it's not illegal to visit a girly bar. Genius,,, and before you get any dumber, cite the USC 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, samsensam said:

and eliminating proper crime and violence, rather than hounding people who are already here?  

do you have a definition for 'proper' crime as opposed to 'improper' crime?!

can you give examples where people are being hounded? i've never met anyone here complaining about being hounded by the authorities

if you dont want to do the time, don't do the crime. get the appropriate visa. common sense. easy.

Had a proper Visa. Submitted police, medical and financial records to be vetted before being granted an “O-A Visa” as I was coming to retire as I stated to the Royal Thai Consulate before being granted the proper Visa. Now the rules are changed after 8 years of living here and establishing relationships while maintains my original standing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

Any where in the world you have to apply visiting right that has rules if you will to stay, However Thailand if been vetted by a Thai embassy means nothing with comes to Immigration Cops from ninety day wonders. Just one minute out of favor with the rules you will be paraded to the public and punished, unless you pay a bride. Further if you do your duty and report can be exposed to be kicked out of Thailand or pay a Bride as no Cashiers at any Immigration offices of Thailand. No longer will you be allow to ever go to a toilet 12 hours away from your hotel without telling someone to come watch! The hoarseness of Immigration can destroy your feelings living in Thailand to kill ones self  with no regards to life of long stayers Rest in peace my friend, Ray Davey

I realise that English is probably not your first language, but "pay a bride"! ????

I am sorry, but I think you mean a "bribe" This is a bride:-

Image result for pictures of a bride"

• Haha 1

I wish the British police were so  prevalent in catching  People without Visas or Overstayers in the  UK, It would probably half the Crime rate and fraud, along with Gang violence,  Maybe thats the same thinking of the Thai police too,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, khunPer said:

And you surely love foreigners in your home country telling the original population, how they shall run the country.

You and I, and many others, are guests with no democratic rights – and I believe you know that well – and you and I, and many others, are only "liked" here as long as we behave. But when we politely behave like guests are expected to behave, we can have a good time in Land-of-Smiles; just like we expect guests, i.e. foreigners, in our home countries to behave, and respect our native culture, and our present rules.

Yes, I'm a proud member of the huge global club "If you cannot behave as guest, stay home"...????

Where did I say anything in my post about "misbehaving"? Unless of course to voice an opinion is misbehaving!

However, I do "behave", (Have lived here for more than 15 years, and NEVER had any "trouble")  and I do respect the culture - my wife is a practising Buddhist, and I respect her for it - more so than the tin box shaking "beggars" posing as monks!

However, in my democratic "home" country we have the right of free speech, and that gives people the right to voice an opinion, but you do not have to agree with it. (My only complaint about that is when people of a certain faith come to my country to live, call me an infidel, and as such, it is their duty to kill me! But that is a different topic altogether.)

P.S. "Present rules" ? Is that last week's rules or this week's?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

And you surely love foreigners in your home country telling the original population, how they shall run the country.

You and I, and many others, are guests with no democratic rights – and I believe you know that well – and you and I, and many others, are only "liked" here as long as we behave. But when we politely behave like guests are expected to behave, we can have a good time in Land-of-Smiles; just like we expect guests, i.e. foreigners, in our home countries to behave, and respect our native culture, and our present rules.

Yes, I'm a proud member of the huge global club "If you cannot behave as guest, stay home"...????

You forgot to add that guests must not have opinions and must accept any kind of abuse that any “local” person deems appropriate 

• Like 2

AFAIK every country has laws relating to the visas they issue to foreigners. I am wondering why some posters on this thread think Thailand should be a special case in terms of the laws they make, or their enforcement.

It's not rocket science. Obey the laws, no problem. If you don't like them, there are other places to go to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, sambum said:

"While I agree that this is illegal" - the post is about priorities!

You seem to have a pretty pedantic view that posters only discuss priorities. (Does not usually happen on TV!)

In the past, the Imm dept has not prioritorised overstays.

Many criminals, drug dealers, murderers, paedophiles, Nigerian millionaires etc came to Thailand and stayed. It was a good place to hide. Because many of them are on 'watch' lists, they have not renewed their visas. They are overstays.

'OMG - think what would happen if we checked for overstays' said Mr Plod. Let us make this a priority.

Yes - 'minor' criminals will be found out. (They are still criminals.) Funds are being raised as fines are being collected. (A priority for this government) and by making overstays a priority, they are also catching some really bad lads (and lasses).

Ask yourself this question. If someone is an overstay for years, where do they get the money to live? Long overstays start with just one day at a time.

• Like 1