Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Priorities?

sambum

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK every country has laws relating to the visas they issue to foreigners. I am wondering why some posters on this thread think Thailand should be a special case in terms of the laws they make, or their enforcement.

It's not rocket science. Obey the laws, no problem. If you don't like them, there are other places to go to.

Not "Go home?"

21 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

I wish the British police were so  prevalent in catching  People without Visas or Overstayers in the  UK, It would probably half the Crime rate and fraud, along with Gang violence,  Maybe thats the same thinking of the Thai police too,

Shouldn’t this be in the blaming foreigners for everything thread ? Classic !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

That is what immigration does in any country.  Why should Thailand be any different? 

"PRIORITIES"!!!

I'm not saying that saying that the rules shouldn't be followed - all I am saying is that the current "witch hunt" is completely out of proportion to the amount of time and effort that seems to be spent on more serious crimes.

Overstayers are arrogant people who care nothing but about themselves.

They are partly responsible for changes in the rules.

Arrogant, selfish, breaking the rules and stealing money from the government.

Me thinks those that support them may be overstaying themselves...

36 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... maybe this is how Thai immigration demonstrate that they are doing their job. One might wonder what else do they think is their job. Only in Thailand I suggest?

"Immigration Act B.E. 2522" covers a lot more than just overstays, but that is mostly what we hear about!

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You seem to have a pretty pedantic view that posters only discuss priorities. (Does not usually happen on TV!)

In the past, the Imm dept has not prioritorised overstays.

Many criminals, drug dealers, murderers, paedophiles, Nigerian millionaires etc came to Thailand and stayed. It was a good place to hide. Because many of them are on 'watch' lists, they have not renewed their visas. They are overstays.

'OMG - think what would happen if we checked for overstays' said Mr Plod. Let us make this a priority.

Yes - 'minor' criminals will be found out. (They are still criminals.) Funds are being raised as fines are being collected. (A priority for this government) and by making overstays a priority, they are also catching some really bad lads (and lasses).

Ask yourself this question. If someone is an overstay for years, where do they get the money to live? Long overstays start with just one day at a time.

I concur - good points!

However, as I did give the post the headline "Priorities" that is exactly what I expect to be discussed at some point, and as per one of my previous posts, the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 gives a pretty concise list of what other duties Immigration are responsible for, which we rarely hear anything about.

30 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

People who are in the wrong always find their crime not important enough to be looked at. Always deflect to other crimes.

"People who are in the wrong always find their crime not important enough to be looked at"

Really? Are you just saying that because it "sounds good"? I wonder if, for instance the perpetrators of The Great Train Robbery thought that their crime was not important enough to be investigated?

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"People who are in the wrong always find their crime not important enough to be looked at"

Really? Are you just saying that because it "sounds good"? I wonder if, for instance the perpetrators of The Great Train Robbery thought that their crime was not important enough to be investigated?

No, you are right, they owned up that they were wrong and didn't blame others.

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, you are right, they owned up that they were wrong and didn't blame others.

But they were still in the wrong, and I don't see where blaming others comes into it!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, featography said:

How Odd. They are doing what they are paid to do, enforce the law. 

Very odd! "The Law" as far as Immigration is concerned is as each Immigration Office(r) interprets it, and in many cases it can become a bit of a lottery in how it is "enforced"!

For instance, does every Immigration Office ask for a Google Map with grid locations of your house, AND  a hand drawn map of where you live with every application for an extension of stay, along with a copy of your Lease, copy of Landlord/Landlady's ID, his/her "house book" etc etc.

If every Immigration Office asked for this, then I could understand it (not ask WHY, but understand it!), but for Buddha's sake, why do the same rules and regs not apply to every Immigration Office throughout the land? Presumably,  the requirements are set out according to the "Laws of the Land", (Police Orders?) so why does every office(r) interpret them differently? I do know of certain situations (first hand) where different requirements have been asked for by different I.O.s within the same office (Please, no comments regarding brown envelopes!)

So perhaps "enforcing the law" should be explained in more detail to the "front line troops"? 

Edited by sambum