Ethernet speed

GalaxyMan

We changed our 3BB plan this week from 700/700 to 1000/100, saving 600 baht/month in the process. The only problem is that I cannot seem to get more than 200-300 down, whereas before the change I was getting close to 700 regularly. I've used 3BB's speedtest website and also Ookla's with fairly similar results. We called 3BB and they sent a technician out the next day (yesterday, Friday). He plugged his laptop into the system and got 900+. I was amazed. He tried to tell me that the problem was with my computers, a PC, a Windows laptop, an iMac, and a MacBook Pro. They are all gigabit capable. The entire house is wired with CAT-7 and my ethernet cables are all new and CAT-7.

I was looking for solutions using the laptop and found Ookla's speedtest app in the Microsoft Store, so I downloaded and installed it. Suddenly, the app is showing 700+. W.T.F.? When I tried to install the app on my PC, and several other similar apps, none of them would run; can't connect to internet or service unavailable. The owner of our local computer shop came by to see what's going on and got the same results as me with his laptop. He couldn't understand what was happening. I'm not new to the computer world and I am just baffled.

Any ideas? ????

Edited by GalaxyMan

They only "guarantee" speed to their server..

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

even then if there are too many people (neighbours) sharing the fibre segment things can slow down.

plug  directly into the 3BB router LAN port to rule out your internal setup...also try different LAN ports on the router  one may have gone faulty  or corrupted settings  imposed some  speed limits ( QOS )

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tgw said:

you can check some potential solutions here:

https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/

if you explained more the sentence " He plugged his laptop into the system " you might get more useful help.

how are your computers connected to the internet, through which devices? where did the guy plug in?

Everything is connected via gigabit switches using CAT-7 cabling, all of which leads back to the modem/router, 3BB's newest and supposedly 'best' one. The craziest part of this is that everything was super-fast with the 700/700 plan, but changed with the transition to the 1000/100 plan. I don't buy that it's my computer hardware being the problem. The technician checked by plugging into the ethernet wall outlet and also to one of the gigabit switches with the same results.

Edited by GalaxyMan

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

He plugged his laptop into the system and got 900+

Did he get that with the same application and the same server?

If not then "his" program was maybe measuring something different then your program.

Here is some info about what I mean:

https://packetpushers.net/tcp-over-ip-bandwidth-overhead/

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did he get that with the same application and the same server?

If not then "his" program was maybe measuring something different then your program.

Here is some info about what I mean:

https://packetpushers.net/tcp-over-ip-bandwidth-overhead/

We were both using the same speedtest websites, 3BB's and Ookla.

Are you having fixed IP addresses on some of your devices? If yes check the DHCP range(s) of your new router. Provided it is your (unique?) DHCP server. Which could be another issue, if your DHCP server doesn't reside on your access point, make sure you disable it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

Are you having fixed IP addresses on some of your devices? If yes check the DHCP range(s) of your new router. Provided it is your (unique?) DHCP server. Which could be another issue, if your DHCP server doesn't reside on your access point, make sure you disable it.

No, I'm lazy and let DHCP handle it. ????

did you check with this new package how many people are now sharing on your new node  I bet a lot more seeing you saved 600 bhat a month every man and his dog would also see the so called saving and better speed yet u lose from 700 to 100 might also be the problem one never knows

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, whiteman said:

did you check with this new package how many people are now sharing on your new node  I bet a lot more seeing you saved 600 bhat a month every man and his dog would also see the so called saving and better speed yet u lose from 700 to 100 might also be the problem one never knows

I understand this principle, but it wouldn't explain why the technician was able to show 900+ speed when none of my computers would show more than 350 and usually a lot less than that. It also wouldn't explain why I had faster speed with the previous package with the slow-down only starting when I switched packages.

Edited by GalaxyMan

3 hours ago, Momofarang said:

DHCP allocates an IP address. And once that is done then maybe that happens hours or days later again.

Once the connection is established DHCP does nothing anymore (for hours or days).

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One more thought just crossed my mind.

Did you check if anything else is using the internet connection on your device? I.e. Windows updates and other background services?

Here is an example from my PC just now.

ResourceMonitor.png.3f258c57c8e3c5d4a7ea0566e618b4cd.png

Nothing really. What is odd is that today I'm getting speeds in the 600-800 range. No idea why other than maybe they did something on their end. Just got a call about 15 minutes ago from the 3BB technician inquiring about how things are. I'd love to see speeds closer to 1000, but I guess that's just pie in the sky. This is on all of my machines, which further tells me that it's not computer-related on my end.

network.png

Edited by GalaxyMan

20 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Nothing really. What is odd is that today I'm getting speeds in the 600-800 range. No idea why other than maybe they did something on their end. Just got a call about 15 minutes ago from the 3BB technician inquiring about how things are. I'd love to see speeds closer to 1000, but I guess that's just pie in the sky. This is on all of my machines, which further tells me that it's not computer-related on my end.

network.png

OP, I notice firefox in the list, is this common across all your devices ? Or an FF add-on common to all devices? Firefox can have problems with add-ons failing and causing slow downloads etc. It would explain why the technicians laptop didnt have a problem and why the oklia app doesnt have a problem.

Maybe try the same tests with a different browser or with add-ons disabled.

56 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I notice firefox in the list, is this common across all your devices ? Or an FF add-on common to all devices? Firefox can have problems with add-ons failing and causing slow downloads etc. It would explain why the technicians laptop didnt have a problem and why the oklia app doesnt have a problem.

Maybe try the same tests with a different browser or with add-ons disabled.

Interesting idea. All day I've been getting high 600s on both speedtest sites. I just now tried it with Chrome, IE, and Edge, and barely hit 200. Checked again with Firefox and it is also very slow again. The same 3BB technician called. He has no clue and only wants to blame my computers for the problem. We called 3BB and told them to send a different technician. Frustrating.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

DHCP allocates an IP address. And once that is done then maybe that happens hours or days later again.

Once the connection is established DHCP does nothing anymore (for hours or days).

Indeed, but I have seen many times, at least on the routers that I have used, devices ending up with two IPs allocated or a device being allocated an IP that was used by another device as a Fixed IP. This resulted in performance issues, obviously. Rebooting the router fixed them. DHCP software can have its bugs too. Performance issues are not only due to the physical and data link layers.

58 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Interesting idea. All day I've been getting high 600s on both speedtest sites. I just now tried it with Chrome, IE, and Edge, and barely hit 200. Checked again with Firefox and it is also very slow again. The same 3BB technician called. He has no clue and only wants to blame my computers for the problem. We called 3BB and told them to send a different technician. Frustrating.

But did you completely shut firefoxx when trying other browsers ? Or just open a new window.

I have this same "problem".

I have 3BB service currently set to 1000/400. Using https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

via Firefox, one of my computers gets 930/415. The other reads 375/350 in Firebox but the 3BB Windows app reads 930/415.

Tried other browsers but the results don't vary. I know I'm getting the link speed I paid for to both computers, just don't understand why the browser-based tests are incorrect on one of them. 

27 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I have this same "problem".

I have 3BB service currently set to 1000/400. Using https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

via Firefox, one of my computers gets 930/415. The other reads 375/350 in Firebox but the 3BB Windows app reads 930/415.

Tried other browsers but the results don't vary. I know I'm getting the link speed I paid for to both computers, just don't understand why the browser-based tests are incorrect on one of them. 

Interesting point. I wonder what actual speed I'm getting to my computers vs what various web-based speed tests show. Are there any reliable non-web-based apps out there that can measure ethernet speed?

Edited by GalaxyMan

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

Speedtest by Ookla, in the Windows store.

Suitable for testing to the nearest server, not for international.

I installed that on my laptop and it works great. When I installed it on my PC, Server Not Found or No Internet Connection; it doesn't run. I tried a few other speedtest apps that I found and the same thing happened. Must be something specific to my setup, but what that might be, I have no idea.

6 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I installed that on my laptop and it works great. When I installed it on my PC, Server Not Found or No Internet Connection; it doesn't run. I tried a few other speedtest apps that I found and the same thing happened. Must be something specific to my setup, but what that might be, I have no idea.

do you use custom DNS servers on your PC ?

sounds like a problem with interference near the fiber wire inside or outside your house. Either that or its a bit bent/damaged somewhere. Tests to 3bb's servers never slowdown. I was uncapped for a few months and always had max speed at any time of the day.

It is definitely not a hardware issue. The past couple of days I have seen speeds between 400-900 regularly. And once again, this problem only manifested itself when I changed plans. To my way of thinking, that says that there is a problem on the 3BB side of things.

BTW: When I observe the speed on DU Meter, it is faster than the various web-based apps show.

Edited by GalaxyMan