Ethernet speed

GalaxyMan

I changed to 3bb from TOT 1 month ago for the 1 gb fibre .  Had to call the technicians in as iptv would often freeze . Subsequent speed tests showed 50 - 100 mbps down and up .  The tech spent nearly 2 hours checking the system and talking to his office through his mobile . Finally the 3bb speedtest on the TV via the android pro 96 box showed 980 mbps .   However the iptv  still has problems stopping and I carried out speed tests by other companies i.e. TOT , Ookla , True etc and none of them get anywhere near the 900 s , mostly 100 mbps  although TOT showed 200 .  So why does 3bb get 960 ish ? 

BTW  testmy.net to the London server is slow at around 15 -25 mbps  , 65 mbps to Singapore 

3BB finally sent out the A-Team to check into my problem; the same technician who insisted that it had to be my computers, all of them, not their equipment or system, and 2 other guys, one of them the reputed head of the service department and his assistant. They both proved to be very, very smart guys. The head guy spoke good English, so we were able to communicate very well. In the end, after an hour of doing this and that, having conversations with Singapore, etc., they realized that they needed to update the firmware in my modem. Once they did that, all of my computers miraculously cured themselves and started clocking in the 900s. He told me if I had any further problems, to call him and he'd replace the modem. Couldn't ask for better service, I must say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

BTW  testmy.net to the London server is slow at around 15 -25 mbps  , 65 mbps to Singapore

I get around 25-30 mbps on testmy.net with 3BB and it should be higher at around 50-60 mbps and like you and GalaxyMan said, the 3BB techs came round a couple of times and said nothing wrong so it must be my computer..............see below

8 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

in the end, after an hour of doing this and that, having conversations with Singapore, etc., they realized that they needed to update the firmware in my modem.

Had all of the same carry-on with 3BB techs, all to no avail, so maybe I have the same modem problem??? What did they do (new modem) or somehow update via the net??

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I get around 25-30 mbps on testmy.net with 3BB and it should be higher at around 50-60 mbps and like you and GalaxyMan said, the 3BB techs came round a couple of times and said nothing wrong so it must be my computer..............see below

Had all of the same carry-on with 3BB techs, all to no avail, so maybe I have the same modem problem??? What did they do (new modem) or somehow update via the net??

They do it online from somewhere in the Configuration area of the modem which they access via a browser.

• Thanks 2

I sent an email to 3BB this morning, stated the firmware release number of my very early model FibreHome ONU/Router, asked if there existed a newer release. Got a call in the afternoon from tech support wherein I was told that they were happy to stop by in a few days and replace the unit with the newer dual band model. 

Truth is, for a silly reason I wanted to stick with what I had but she was kind of insistent so I said Okay.

12 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

I sent an email to 3BB this morning, stated the firmware release number of my very early model FibreHome ONU/Router, asked if there existed a newer release. Got a call in the afternoon from tech support wherein I was told that they were happy to stop by in a few days and replace the unit with the newer dual band model. 

Truth is, for a silly reason I wanted to stick with what I had but she was kind of insistent so I said Okay.

Their new modem/router is far superior to the one it replaced. I noticed an immediate difference when they upgraded me.

I was wondering about the WiFi speed, since my iMac's ethernet ports no longer work and I have to use the built-in wireless capability, which sux, IMHO. It seems so slow. One of the technicians stopped by yesterday -- he had forgotten his notebook -- and I asked him about it. We quickly did a speed test and it was over 70Mbps, which he said was very good, which confuses me, as I don't think it's so very good, especially when transferring files between machines on my network. I've been looking at the Uniquiti Mesh system as a way to increase the power/speed of my WiFi, hence my confusion at being told that what I have is very good.

• Like 1