Trump impeachment charges may go to Senate as early as next week

rooster59

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

What some Republicans don't seem to understand is that this resolution is not against trump but against an Imperial Presidency.

Not sure if the Democrats if this was a Democratic administration would had being better. 

The system is broken beyond repair IMO , and our democracy hungs in the balance. IMO the only solution is term limits, and publicly funded elections. I know there are negatives associated with implementing such policies, but the alternative is much much worst. 

Have to say that I agree with that. US politics is broken a long time. Remember the speech about the military/ industrial complex.

In addition to what you suggest a complete ban on lobbyists, and politicians taking jobs after they leave politics with companies they assisted when in government.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

I would say the Dem party these days (January 11, 2020) doesn't have it together enough to make such a stand to even attempt to pull stunts of this caliber.  DT has brought a cohesion to his new-found party (bear in mind he only joined the GOP in 2015) that can only be done with an iron fist, which the Dem members of Congress would not sit still for.  It's like herding cats.  And maybe that's for the better in some cases.

You can be sure Pelosi gets a lot more backtalk from her reps than Mitch does from his brood.

The fact remains that they are all more interested in their re-election than they are in the good of the country. Even those who profess  morality, believe that their re-election is good for the country and compromise their morality "for the good of the country". Re-election requires money,  so they spend half their time raising funds for re-election and  much of the rest politicking for re-election.  Everyone seems to hate congress, but they love their  congressman and senator. why because he/she brings home the pork.So bills can compromised with "pork"  and bridges to nowhere.  

I will agree that the Democrats seem to be a little more idealistic, mostly early in their career  but IMO not much more and they quickly fall in place . 

Part of the above helped elect trump, he promised  to "drain the swamp" "will hire the best people" and "we will win so much , we will be tired of winning" . Are you all tired if winning yet? and if by "draining the swamp"  he meant that much of his administration's "best people" will end up in jail , mission accomplished. . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Even those who profess  morality, believe that their re-election is good for the country and compromise their morality "for the good of the country".

It would be interesting to come up with (genuine) figures regarding people who get elected to Congress and then decide not to run for a second term.  I have the impression the attrition rate is higher among the GOP.  Mitt says the thing he hates most about politics is asking for money.

In 2012 or so I heard Bernie being interviewed -- this was before he became a presidential candidate.  He was asked about congresspeople who took money.  He said all of the GOP did (actually he said "awl" ???? ).  The interviewer pressed on about the Dems, and he said some.  "How many?"  His answer was "about 40%".  The way I figure is the GOP is paid to do the bidding, and the Dems are paid to not get in their way.

Boehner (remember him?) was cited in the Congressional Record for handing out payoff envelopes from the tobacco lobby right there on the floor of the House, so it's not like this sort of thing is something that lives only in the shadows.

That thing about "the good of the country" and "the will of the people" fall under "the emptiest barrel makes the most noise."  Has McConnell ever been to Moscow himself, or do they come to the US to buy him off?

Edited by bendejo

On 1/11/2020 at 5:10 AM, malibukid said:

best thing for Trump to do is resign and not embarrass the country

Too late for that one!

As one television commentator put it "Being laughed at by Boris Johnson! Imagine that!"

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1