Going out with affluent Thai family, being the eldest… who pays?

henrik2000

You have to have some expectations to pay.  Let's say it's 3000 baht.  OK, is that OK?  If not OK, run away and don't look back.  You are marrying into a family and it's expensive, which is why you worked and researched and are willing to help the less fortunate.  What would I do?  I wouldn't be in this situation.  Because this situation has 100 more parts to it and it never ends well.  Take a hard look at your finances.  She might end up costing you about 300,000 a year, which is fine if you really cannot live without her.  Times that all the years you will be with her.....Yeah, of course it's a business decision for their family.  If you don't pay, you are bad business.  maybe a great person, but a bad decision.  

9 hours ago, marqus12 said:

One of the scams on dating sites is..."feed me and my friends".

When my live-in GF asked if she could bring one of her girlfriends along to dinner...I said...of course...

Six people showed up for dinner...I wanted to throw her and the entourage to the curb...but I went and paid...a seafood buffet...not too expensive...she saved face and I learned a valuable lesson...☺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That wouldn’t have happened with my live-in GF because I don’t give a toss about face. 

She would have learned a valuable lesson had she made that mistake.

You are the Man!...Cock of the Walk!...And honorary "Who-Dat"!

3 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"she saved face"...… but you came off looking like a fool. Once you saw the "entourage" you should have politely excused yourself to use the restroom and never returned.

Which looks better...paying the bill and as you say: "looking like a fool".  Or retiring to the bathroom and not coming out...makes one appear full-of-corn-shucks! and other things one can not mention on this forum.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:38 PM, baansgr said:

If you were Thai, the bin would be shared...fair same policy applies you being a Foreigner...pay you and your dates way, let the others pay theirs...nowt wrong with that

Spoken like a true man.......Yorkshire would be proud to have you.