Majority of Thais strongly agree with plastic bag ban but nearly a fifth don't

webfact

If you look on Alibaba reusable bags by the thousand are dirt cheap. Shops are charging hundreds percentage markup which is a bit rude

Any serious environmental / Gov't / business group could go to town with free marketing and give them away at any gathering.

11 hours ago, neeray said:

Those are pretty encouraging numbers. But as for the 18%, they'll probably never be swayed.

Still no improvement on the amount of garbage being spewn all over the countryside or in the sea. Perhaps the emphasis is wrong. Those pesky plastic bags were not littering themselves after all. ????

Edited by mickey rat

So ... less than 2 out of 10 don't like the change .....such heavy negative leaning statistics should force us to see the need for a complete reversal ... no damn it! an actual increase in plastic availability and usage ???? 

Today I went to Tesco ...and already the lady cashier put my things on the bottom where normally are the bags , no bag  hooks also anymore so I could load myself ….. good , they are continuing the no bag policy  ….. I feel almost like in home country  on this as i had my 3BB bag with me .

bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, david555 said:

no bag  hooks also anymore so I could load myself ….as i had my 3BB bag with me .

bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg

If you stand there long enough and do nothing and holding up the line....They will pack your bag for you...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If you stand there long enough and do nothing and holding up the line....They will pack your bag for you...

I don't mind as in my country we do that already decades …. they only should change the desks , so the cashier just shift the goods  besides , and they should use those build in surface scanners , more easy and quicker to handle ,besides I always go in the early morning , no que's behind me or in front !

• Like 1

Polls are a complete waste of time, are misleading and very inaccurate, based on the opinions of a very very small percentage of people in a society and knowing Thai, the use of single plastic bags will.be short lived as are most announcements that fail such as six persons on the flat bed of a pickup or VIP bus speed limits and.............sooooo on...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

But why would you do that? I can understand that if you are disabled, otherwise you are just a lazy <deleted> who thinks that the world owes you a living.

27 minutes ago, zydeco said:

No, it's just that Lotus owes you something to put your purchases in.

How did you come up with that conclusion?

Makro never provides anything to put your purchases in so why do expect other supermarkets to provide that service for free.

8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

There is a lot more to this than just plastic bags....Most people that shop at Makro have cars or trucks their parking lot is full of them...

I do a lot of shopping at foodland and the car park is typically full or near to it, same as the occasions when I drop into Tops or Villa.

Whats your point ?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How did you come up with that conclusion?

Makro never provides anything to put your purchases in so why do expect other supermarkets to provide that service for free.

Makro always has a few cardboard boxes around - good for dry trash at home, and recycled by the truck that collects my trash - they empty them out in the truck and stack up the boxes separately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

There is a lot more to this than just plastic bags....Most people that shop at Makro have cars or trucks their parking lot is full of them...

You are correct, but then again BigC, Tesco, Robinsons and ALL the big shopping malls also have cars or trucks their parking lot is full of them. That is similar to all the other shopping malls in all the cities in Thailand.

So what does that have too do with plastic bags?

On my way to Cambodia recently, I stopped at a 7-11 shop in a PTT station near Si Kaeo to purchase some sandwiches and cans of soft drinks for my onward journey. At the check out a very helpful young lady put all my purchases into a single use plastic bag, with a couple of plastic straws, as usual. I did not question this and there was a supply of plastic bags and straws on the counter despite there being a so-called ban by 7-11. I was a happy bunny and thought what a farce this ban is becoming. On the way home I purchased some fruit from a road side stall which was given to me in a SINGLE USE PLASTIC bag - yippee!!!!