Court rejects Premchai’s request for removal of EM ankle bracelet

webfact

Just noticed this;

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Appeals Court applied the requirement for him to wear the monitoring device after it upheld his conviction and increased his jail term to two years and 14 months without suspension

So is that 38 months or a typo and really 28 months?

And this;

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The court noted that the bracelet was on his right ankle, while the wounds, which he claimed were caused by the monitoring device, were on the left.

???? ????  ????  ????

• Haha 2

Court rejects Premchai’s bid to remove anklet

By THE NATION

800_608ca7eb53793f1.jpg?v=1578901303

Italian-Thai Development President Premchai Karnasuta submitted a request to the Thong Pha Phum Provincial Court in Kanchanaburi province on Monday(January 13), seeking the removal of an electronic monitoring anklet he was ordered to wear as part of the conditions of his bail.

The construction tycoon said the anklet might cause injuries to his ankle which could develop into a serious health problem as someone suffering from diabetes.

After a ten-minute consideration, the court rejected Premchai’s request citing that Premchai has wounds only on the left leg while the EM anklet is worn on the right leg, thus it should not affect his health.

Premchai told the press that he is scheduled to report to the court again on the February 11 and “will return here on that day and file an appeal on the case,” he said.

Premchai and three accomplices were found guilty of trespassing and poaching in Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary on February 4-6, 2018. The Appeal Court sentenced them on December 12 to jail terms ranging from 1-3 years as well as a Bt2 million compensation to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

They were later granted bail by the Supreme Court at Bt1 million each in cash, and ordered to wear electronic monitoring anklets and forbidden from leaving the country.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380482

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-13

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

They were later granted bail by the Supreme Court at Bt1 million each in cash, and ordered to wear electronic monitoring anklets and forbidden from leaving the country.

Being cynical, I can imagine the system that monitors electronic bracelets will be faulty just at the time Premchai disappears over the border.

• Like 1

Silly question I know, but who monitors all these monitoring bracelets? Do they even work, and what is the reaction time to a breach of conditions? Is there a shoot-to-kill policy in place in case of an infraction?

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Silly question I know, but who monitors all these monitoring bracelets? Do they even work, and what is the reaction time to a breach of conditions? Is there a shoot-to-kill policy in place in case of an infraction?

Yes, if you're a panther.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Normally you can apply for bail whilst waiting to go to trial.. These guys have been to trial and sentenced to prison terms. How can they now be out on bail ?? Rhetorical question, we all know that money buys you out of prison ????

Appealing the sentences

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Once the alarm goes off, it triggers a carefully orchestrated chain reaction: A committee is formed that will appoint another committee, which in turn is tasked with appointing yet another committee that eventually is going to convene at their pleasure in order to discuss how to react to the alarm and what action is needed. By which time the suspect has fled the country, leaving behind only a few, richly stuffed brown envelopes. As I said: All very well orchestrated.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Once the alarm goes off, it triggers a carefully orchestrated chain reaction: A committee is formed that will appoint another committee, which in turn is tasked with appointing yet another committee that eventually is going to convene at their pleasure in order to discuss how to react to the alarm and what action is needed. By which time the suspect has fled the country, leaving behind only a few, richly stuffed brown envelopes. As I said: All very well orchestrated.  

The whole lot of them need to be orchestrated.

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:
11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If implemented strictly, a jail term could cause a loss of weight.

Would need to be a lengthy term to bring about any significant reduction. 

Going on current body size, I'm guessing that would be one life sentence.

edit: The result: He's not half the man he used to be.

Edited by bluesofa
addendum
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Going on current body size, I'm guessing that would be one life sentence.

edit: The result: He's not half the man he used to be.

Doubt he could achieve that in the time he has left.. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The court noted that the bracelet was on his right ankle, while the wounds, which he claimed were caused by the monitoring device, were on the left.

You could not make it up.

OK, remove the bracelet, set him free in the National Park and let park rangers hunt him down with orders to kill.

18 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

You could not make it up.

OK, remove the bracelet, set him free in the National Park and let park rangers hunt him down with orders to kill.

I was going suggest 'hors d'oeuvre' to kill, but I think it would be a bumper meal in itself without the starters.