Plastic bag ban: Forgetful Thais taking supermarket baskets home! Social media meltdown!

webfact

This article gives me an interesting idea. I think I'll try just rolling the entire cart into the back of the truck, bungy'ing it down, and driving off.  If they aren't going to give me plastic bags, maybe they intend for the whole shopping cart to be a bag. After all, that is what they put the groceries in after I bought them....

Seems like valid logic to me.

• Haha 2

I did a bulk shop in BigC this morning. No plastic bags but I bought a couple of reusable bags for 2.50 baht each and the cashier helped to pack the bags for me.

I bought some stuff from S&P and while the items were individually wrapped in plastic they gave me a small cloth bag to replace the plastic bags they used to put the chicken curry puffs in, and she packed the bag for me.

KFC still uses plastic bags and Makro sell stronger plastic bags as they have for some time.

Not only Thais - me as well! Back at the beginning of the year, I was not aware of the bag ban and went shopping at a TOPS supermarket in Chang Mai. Half way through bar coding my purchases, I was asked "where is your bag".  I replied I hadn't one and no bag was available to purchase. Rather than walk out leaving a stack of non-perishable products on the counter, the cashier agreed I could use the basket to carry them to my car. This I did and the next day I drove back home to Khon Kaen Province with my full basket. Being an honest individual, I returned the basket on my next shopping trip to TOPS in Central Plaza KK and took home my purchases in TESCO LOTUS plastic bags. 

• Like 1

Once again issues with checkout at BigC.  Brought my own BigC bags I purchased from BigC three weeks ago at 29 Baht each.  The checker grudgingly loaded the first bag, then refused to load any more.  She just tossed the checked items on the bagging table in a pile, then wanted me to pay.  I said "When you bag my  groceries I will pay."  That made her even more angry and she just tossed the groceries helter-skelter into the other two baskets, heavy things on the loaves of bread, and etc.  I called a floor manager over and told him what was going on (I was angry), saying the checker is lazy, BigC made me buy bags, but now also wants me to bag my own things?  The floor manager explained to the checker that she needs to bag the groceries, and apologized to me.  I doubt things will get any better though.  I'll be back next week for my next week's groceries . . . but it might be my last time at BigC.

Edited by mojaco
  • Sad 1