Plastic bag ban: Forgetful Thais taking supermarket baskets home! Social media meltdown!

webfact

21 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Jesus wept, how much more " consideration" is needed, the morons were given enough notice to take their own own bags

It is worrying if people cannot understand a simple request

Old habits die hard . After years of getting the shopping put on bags by the cashier , now you have to put the shopping in yourself and in your own bag.  I carry one of those 3B bags in my  Man Bag but I still look at my shopping then ' oops my bad  ,my bag '.

• Haha 1

Some...most...almost all points, made by the "I cant life without my plastic bag"- fanboys and - girls are so ...ahm...intellectually challenged, that I really want to know, how you lot actually made it to an age, where you are actually able to use a computer!

"The tourists don't bring their bags..."...seriously?

How many tourists go to 7eleven and do their weekly shopping there?

How many are not equipped with a small rucksack or the likes, to stow away a can of coke and a sandwich?

You are aware, that most plastic bags, given out by 7eleven or family mart are small ones, that barely can hold said can of coke and a sandwich. So pray tell: for what amount of garbage do you actually re-use those? 1 banana peel and an egg-shell?

Most Thais don't have a car, so they can not get their shopping home?

What exactly is the advantage of carrying 5 plastic bags from the shop, compared to 5 cotton- bags!

Oh, right!

You don't have to use brain- resources to PLAN a minimal thing, before going to the shop, you just thoughtlessly  wonder off, into the wild!

That is not "convenience"...that  is just "being lazy"!

And if a "smelly bag" is the biggest problem you ever encountered on the BTS...may I suggest, you actually never really used the BTS!

last, but not least: if you can't figure out, how to dispose of your trash,  now that will not get handed a plastic - bag for every one item you buy...I guess, you will lose all your friends (...well...) because your house stinks and there will be garbage all over the place!

Poor you!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Some...most...almost all points, made by the "I cant life without my plastic bag"- fanboys and - girls are so ...ahm...intellectually challenged, that I really want to know, how you lot actually made it to an age, where you are actually able to use a computer!

See, after "fanboy" nothing else you said matters.  Start out with an insult and namecalling?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, law ling said:

4. Staff no longer pack your purchases (except Friendship - thanks guys), and it will soon be observed by management that current staffing levels are too high - and staff cut-backs may be on the table.

My local Foodland (Pattaya Klang) also continues to pack my purchases, so I have switched the majority of my business there.

This plastic bag ban saved me a lot of money so far. For instance before my bill at Tops was mostly between 500 and 1000 Baht. Now I don't hesitate to go to the cashier with one bread for 40 Baht. But i still pay with 500 or 1000 Baht to have the old feeling again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I agree I also suspect the job satisfaction level of the check out clerks has fallen off a cliff ever since the bag ban.....The smiles are less and less......

Yea Big C has really gone to the dogs now.....

The clerks before were pleasant and they packed what you bought into bags for you.....They were fast too....

Now they dont lift a finger to help you at all.....They just seem to be stoically manning the till waiting for the next big confrontation with the next unhappy customer I guess...    

I make BigC checkout pack the BigC bags I bought from them.  Someday this will be like USA with  do-it-yourself checkouts.  But USA still uses plastic bags at those I think?

Edited by mojaco
clarification

18 minutes ago, tlock said:

My local Foodland (Pattaya Klang) also continues to pack my purchases, so I have switched the majority of my business there.

Good idea I am very seriously considering dumping Big C and doing my shopping at foodland .......One poster said you can also buy real plastic bags at the checkout for only 1 baht too..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojaco said:

I make BigC checkout pack the BigC bags I bought from them.  Someday this will be like USA with  do-it-yourself checkouts.

If more people at Big C did not pack their own bags and just stood there and stood there as long as it took.....They might get the message that people want their bags packed.....  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, tlock said:

And all staff, from the trainee to the lady in red uniform, is prepared to assist you.

Except for cheese, I avoid  BigCX now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If more people at Big C did not pack their own bags and just stood there and stood there as long as it took.....They might get the message that people want their bags packed.....  

At Big C Extra in Pattaya I always bought many Baguette every time and they had a big plastic bag especially for this. Now without such bags I don't go there anymore at all. If you don't have a vehicle you can't transport them anymore. I am eating this toast bread now that you can get everywhere and I am getting used to it. 

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I agree I also suspect the job satisfaction level of the check out clerks has fallen off a cliff ever since the bag ban.....The smiles are less and less......

Yea Big C has really gone to the dogs now.....

The clerks before were pleasant and they packed what you bought into bags for you.....They were fast too....

Now they dont lift a finger to help you at all.....They just seem to be stoically manning the till waiting for the next big confrontation with the next unhappy customer I guess...    

I suppose that if you are capable of using a computer you should be capable of packing your own bags. Most people seem to be able to manage to do that themselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

But most grown ups can manage to pack their own bags and not stand waiting for somebody to do it for them.

BTW when you get home, who unpacks your shopping and puts it away?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

555 !!

LOL!!

????????????????????????

Typical, predictable Thai mind-set.

What a joke.

What do people see in so called paradise???? 

T.I.T

Drink driving is now ok as is the theft of shopping baskets and trolleys, as long as you're not a foreginer.

Howver, indian plus Chiness nationals are excluded!

• Confused 2

On 1/15/2020 at 10:10 AM, webfact said:

The plastic bag ban came in on January 1st and there are stories daily about it in the Thai media. 

There is no plastic bag ban in Thailand even though there are daily claims that there is from various media sources/forums!  

There is a soft agreement between some members of one retailers association that they will stop offering them, that is not a ban.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 11:00 AM, robblok said:

Ah yes one of the lazy people who finds it hard to plan ahead and bring a reusable bag. I always thought people from the west were more educated. I guess not all of us.

Never thought you were such a supremacist, especially being Dutch. Guess there’s always one. 

2 hours ago, mojaco said:

-》Billd766 I guess you always packed the groceries you bought instead of the checkout clerk then???

Yes I did and do unless somebody beats me to it. Don't you?

I went to my local 7/11 for a 2 litre bottle of milk and jokingly asked for a bag. The girl smiled as she said no. However I did come prepared with my cloth bag as I have done for over a year. I got smiles and thumbs up from the staff for not "forgetting" my bag.

They are, however giving out plastic bags but ONLY for cooked food.

I am going bulk shopping in Khampaeng Phet tomorrow so I chucked my big bag of bags in the truck tonight so I wont "forget" them in the morning.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Familymart sell bags usually so they expect people to buy them, they have non plastic ones for 3 baht, understand that?

Really not sure what your point(s) is/are. We knew we would need bags so we bought them where we could before the 'ban' came into force.

You weren't a boy scout then?

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yes I did and do unless somebody beats me to it. Don't you?

I went to my local 7/11 for a 2 litre bottle of milk and jokingly asked for a bag. The girl smiled as she said no. However I did come prepared with my cloth bag as I have done for over a year. I got smiles and thumbs up from the staff for not "forgetting" my bag.

They are, however giving out plastic bags but ONLY for cooked food.

I am going bulk shopping in Khampaeng Phet tomorrow so I chucked my big bag of bags in the truck tonight so I wont "forget" them in the morning.

You little boy scout you ????????????

It is easy when you think about it.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Really not sure what your point(s) is/are. We knew we would need bags so we bought them where we could before the 'ban' came into force.

You weren't a boy scout then?

you missed the post about me already having a bag, go back and look. Fancy that, supermarkets running out of bags, not many people think that's ok